Some help please!

Hi all,

I’ve just registered on this forum to ask some advice if possible regarding lorry theft.

Over the years I have been trying to improve lorry security due to the increasing number of thefts these days.

I have a product that alarms the curtain’s of HGV’s from knife attacks and just wondering if you think it would be beneficial to either individuals or companies (if you work for a company).

Is lorry slashing that common that you would feel safer with a system in place? Is it something that you or your company would buy?

Do you already have any protection for your curtains (chain link or ■■■■■ proof material?)

Just doing some market research really to see what you guys and girls say.

Any advice welcome!

(MOD NOTE - this is not an advert, I am just looking for feedback my products are still being developed!)

breakerbreaker:
Hi all,

I’ve just registered on this forum to ask some advice if possible regarding lorry theft.

Over the years I have been trying to improve lorry security due to the increasing number of thefts these days.

I have a product that alarms the curtain’s of HGV’s from knife attacks and just wondering if you think it would be beneficial to either individuals or companies (if you work for a company).

Is lorry slashing that common that you would feel safer with a system in place? Is it something that you or your company would buy?

Do you already have any protection for your curtains (chain link or ■■■■■ proof material?)

Any advice welcome!

(MOD NOTE - this is not an advert, I am just looking for feedback my products are still being developed!)

We need more info on this product of yours and exactly how it works.

breakerbreaker:
Hi all,

Any advice welcome!

There are ■■■■■ proof curtains on the market,
most curtains seem to get slashed while the driver is in a bar talking about what he loaded earlier while wearing his company logoed top so a stupidity alarm would be good :confused:

An alarm that tells you the curtain has been slashed might be a bit late, better to have a proximity alarm to prevent the damage.
I have never felt in danger of getting the curtains slashed, but the cab getting broken into is a bigger worry tbh

Chances are when the Pikies are slashing your curtain there is more than 1 of them so what are you going to do when an alarm goes off??me for 1 is staying put i prefer my life

Not leaving keys in ignition when away out of cab is another way of reducing thefts.

It seems someone needs to start selling common sense - not alarms :grimacing:

On a serious note and to answer a couple of points.

I can’t tell you how it works as the patent application has only gone through in the last 3 months so still in the research stage for now. (I hate it when people say that but I can’t say sorry!!)

The alarm sounds as the curtain is attempted to to cut. Loud alarms / lights / strobes. The idea is the thief / nosey parker goes to ■■■■■ - alarms go off - they leg it. Not many people will hang around when a industrial DB alar goes off!

Can anyone point to any info suggesting that this is a major crime? We are speaking to insurance companies as to getting it approved for discounts etc - they say it’s a big problem, just wanted any other info?

Thanks for the replies.

breakerbreaker:
It seems someone needs to start selling common sense - not alarms :grimacing:

On a serious note and to answer a couple of points.

I can’t tell you how it works as the patent application has only gone through in the last 3 months so still in the research stage for now. (I hate it when people say that but I can’t say sorry!!)

The alarm sounds as the curtain is attempted to to cut. Loud alarms / lights / strobes. The idea is the thief / nosey parker goes to ■■■■■ - alarms go off - they leg it. Not many people will hang around when a industrial DB alar goes off!

Can anyone point to any info suggesting that this is a major crime? We are speaking to insurance companies as to getting it approved for discounts etc - they say it’s a big problem, just wanted any other info?

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm. So the alarm goes off before they even cut. How does the system detect that someone is about to cut? The only way it can do that is from sensors or something, and that just won’t work in the real world due to the way the curtain moves about in the wind when the truck isn’t moving. If the alarm goes off when the knife has punctured the curtain (which sounds more realistic) then I guess you’re using some kind of induction loop system built in to the curtain material. If that’s what you’re doing then you’ll need a hell of a lot of wiring in a matrix to detect a break in any given area. The curtains on trailers get a lot of abuse and frequently get torn and damaged around the buckles and poles, plus also FLT drivers causing damage with the forks.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

Apologies again for not going into detail.

Do you know if it’s a major problem? I read lots of press regarding lorry theft - is it something you have seen much?

Hiya…I had wire reinfoced curtains 10 years ago i admit the slashers only cut through the outside curtain but
when it came to a repair what a bleedin mess…plus they was heavy when you was pulling them open and closed
all day as i was on multi drops . Then belive it or not one christmas someone took all the curtain god knows why.
When i was driving i had a fool proof way to stop lorry theift when carring valuble goods… where you load give the
wherehouse false number plate… reason been its usually someone in the wherehouse who ticks the theives off
what your carring and where to ■■? It dose work I,ve proved it …
John

i have thought about this before aswell and here is some things you will have to take into account (some of these mentioned above)

1. it cannot be a microwave sensor due to how close lorrys park in loryy parks etc… as microwave sensors have a circular perimiter so you would need 3 or 4 but they will never cover the whole trailer and there sensetive to movement and the curtain moves

2. infa red sensors would be bad as the curtain moves and would get knocked and broken

3. heat sensors … just dont bother

4. laser internal /external sensors … could work but would cost alot of money and would get knocked and broken in a day or so.

5. resistance sensors (change in resistance of trailer due to earthing of the burglar to the ground )… would not work as people would brush past and it would cost a fortune.

6. lots of wire strips in curtain … good idea but as said would get broke due to the abuse the curtain gets

7. weight sensors detecting extra weight or loss of weight and tilt etc… would not work due to wind

genrally these factors have not got to affect the alarm .
1.people walking close / brushing past
2. curtain moving / wind
3. trailer rocking
4.anything external or internal that could be dinted or knocked … will be
5. no space is to be lost in the trailer
6. should be able to run on its own supply for a period of time incase of tractor electrical failure
7. alarm if sounded should have a siren that disoriantates the theif.

in other words a p155ed off dog that is dehidrated and constipated would be good but not very nice on the dog

Thanks for the replies - it is all very helpful.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the problem? Is it as common as the media make out?

Has anyone here been slashed?

(I have searched and a few threads have come up but that was a while back)

It is fairly common, search “slashed” on here, I can see a major floor in your system, go to a lorry park at night and see how many trucks park next to each other. Now imagine that in one night maybe four or five of those trucks might have their curtains cut. none of the drivers on the truck will get any sleep with all the noise from the alarms so trucks fitted with these will end up being banned from truck stops, that isn’t good because they will end up parking in lay bys, and they are dangerous for obvious reasons.
If you can replace the alarm with a device that can call the police with a GPS location you might just succeed, but that would depend on if the police can respond quick enough to catch the scrotes. any false alarms and people will get ■■■■■■ off and stop responding to the alarm

Each (every) haulage yard, distribution centre etc should have a legal obligation to provide a lorry park for free to it’s own and visiting drivers and possibly arranged nights from outside hauliers. Plenty of cctv (to stop the pee problem :wink: ) and being within a large, secure compound like said sites usually are, there’d be much less of this crap. Not that it’ll ever happen.

stick one of them cheapo generators in the trailor running but not connected to anything with a sign at each corner of the truck saying “warning; trailer and fuel tank are electricly protected, 240V” :grimacing:

breakerbreaker:
Thanks for the replies - it is all very helpful.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the problem? Is it as common as the media make out?

Has anyone here been slashed?

(I have searched and a few threads have come up but that was a while back)

Yes. Cut curtain and took products from a shrinkwrapped pallet. I didn’t hear or feel a thing of course!

Major problem? I don’t think so…the biggest hassle is the damage to the truck and the mess it leaves
after the repairs.