Social life

I start work at 1AM. During the week I either do a 9 hour overnight and start again or I get home after a full day and only have time to cook some dinner, wash up and go to bed to start it all again the next day.

Fridays I finish at 11AM and sink some booze then crash out.

Saturdays I try to cram EVERYTHING in to one day.

Sundays I do some laundry, try to chill out then go to bed at 4PM so I can start all over again.

Where do you fit in a social life? It seems like I start work when the normal 9-5 office workers go to bed and finish work at the same time they do.

I was in a queue at a till in tesco and the girl serving was moaning to her mate that she should have been taken off duty 3 minutes ago for her lunch break and I was looking at her thinking “you don’t know your flippin born girl”

According to eu driving regulations :open_mouth: 45 hours off is plenty :unamused: feel free to reduce to 24 hours if you wish! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m a firm believer in “we engineer our own destiny”.

no social life,no girlfriend,no ■■■.no pub,no drink.YOU NEED LISTEN JUST TRANSPORT PLANNERS.

are you not looking for a job on more normal hours if the currents hours don’t suit?

Chas:
I’m a firm believer in “we engineer our own destiny”.

Ditto, I don’t want to ever see a 15hr shift until Iam in my 60s, Iam to busy living for “Now”

stevieboy308:
are you not looking for a job on more normal hours if the currents hours don’t suit?

No, he’s looking for some mates who are available Saturday mornings between 4am & 6am.

Either that, or a 9-5 that pays more than £6.50ph.

Chas:

stevieboy308:

No, he’s looking for some mates who are available Saturday mornings between 4am & 6am.

:laughing: :laughing:

It might be legal but is it moral to have a driver working a 15 hour day.How many teachers or librarians would do it?

Just watched a few of your vids stevieboy are you on a full on Downhill bike? I don’t reckon I could keep up with you on my current hard tail? Iam looking for a f/s 29er at the mo.

Ched you must be rolling in it mate, 5 hours every shift at night rate then overtime after 0945.
Kerbloodyching…

Seriously though, night workers (starting before 0400) shouldn’t be putting those sorts of hours in, our lads only do a 10 hour working shift max.

61.5 hours for me this week, including a 15hour shift on Wednesday. No social life, see wife and son, have dinner, put son to bed and then we go to bed sort of now really. Bloody good job and money though and after a couple of uncertain months, we’re glad I’m working where I am.

chester:
Just watched a few of your vids stevieboy are you on a full on Downhill bike? I don’t reckon I could keep up with you on my current hard tail? Iam looking for a f/s 29er at the mo.

i think the hamsterley gully run is the best one to watch, i’m filming the first 2 runs then getting chased on the 3rd, but glentress is the best place to ride. where do you ride?

i’m on a 150 / 6" f/s, trail / all mountain bike. downhill bikes are around 200 / 10" travel and a bit more tank like!!

have ya had ago of a f/s bike? for me anyway there’s no going back to a hard tail once i’d tried a f/s. what bikes are you looking at?

Looking at Orange Five :open_mouth: lappiere zesty/spicey, Cube AMS 29 PRO, I have been tempted buy the Specilized Camber 2012 model £1,200 a 2k saving over the Orange five, I have a demo ride booked next Sunday where Orange, Nukeproof, lappiere and Ibis etc will be. Iam more of a X/C endurance rider but recently got the trail centre and singletrack bug. I use llandegla and also been up and down mt Snowdon a few times.

2 of my mates have gone from zestys to 5’s and both impressed, but they ain’t cheap when you’ve spec’d them up!! i always buy last years model to save some brass. have you looked at any canyons? they’ll take some beating on the bang to buck ratio, but the downside is they’re mail order, so unless you find someone with one there’ll be no test ride :frowning:

Ched:
I start work at 1AM. During the week I either do a 9 hour overnight and start again or I get home after a full day and only have time to cook some dinner, wash up and go to bed to start it all again the next day.

Sundays I do some laundry, try to chill out then go to bed at 4PM so I can start all over again.

Where do you fit in a social life? It seems like I start work when the normal 9-5 office workers go to bed and finish work at the same time they do.

I was in a queue at a till in tesco and the girl serving was moaning to her mate that she should have been taken off duty 3 minutes ago for her lunch break and I was looking at her thinking “you don’t know your flippin born girl”

if you`re not happy…change it.
i do mon-fri days,with nights out as and when needed.i may not earn as much as someone on odd start times/shift patterns,but my social life is good.
the only shift pattern i would contemplate would be 4 on 4 off

I couldn’t do a shift like that. People knock tramping, “why do I want to sleep in a metal box when I’ve got a bed at home” but I think it’s the best work for me. I have two loads of washing, done by bed time Friday night and back in the bag, do my shopping on Sat mornings with the household weekly shop, off out in a min, then the rest of the weekend is spent with the kids

OVLOV JAY:
I couldn’t do a shift like that. People knock tramping, “why do I want to sleep in a metal box when I’ve got a bed at home” but I think it’s the best work for me. I have two loads of washing, done by bed time Friday night and back in the bag, do my shopping on Sat mornings with the household weekly shop, off out in a min, then the rest of the weekend is spent with the kids
I hope that ovlovjay you dont have any regrets later on in life that you only spend only 1 and 1/2 days a week with family it is not a criticism of yourself but so sad of how the industry now is withregards the example you have given.

alamcculloch:
It might be legal but is it moral to have a driver working a 15 hour day.How many teachers or librarians would do it?

Agree with you definately is not moral at all good luck to all those that have to work 15 hours a day something which should be acted on within this industry weare now in the 21st century.Might be surprised though my partner is a teacher and 15 hour days are not at all uncommon in the profession arriving at school 7am for pre day planning etc then school day from 0845 til 1530 very time for break because due to staffing shortages/cuts have to cover pay time and dinner time subsequently their is after school clubs and other issues to take care off then come home marking books til 10 or 11 at night.

stevieboy308:
2 of my mates have gone from zestys to 5’s and both impressed, but they ain’t cheap when you’ve spec’d them up!! i always buy last years model to save some brass. have you looked at any canyons? they’ll take some beating on the bang to buck ratio, but the downside is they’re mail order, so unless you find someone with one there’ll be no test ride :frowning:

I bought a Canyon Nerve AM 8.0X last year after the Norco I had got nicked. Great bike, and unbeatable spec for the money. Hasn’t let me down once. I usually ride Peaks around Edale, but have been to Wales and various trail centres. I was a bit nervous of the mail order side of things, but the service was first class and they now have a UK support centre you can email/call with any problems. I’d definitely recommend them. Usually have some cracking deals on their site too, and you benefit from the exchange rate if you buy at the right time.

Ched:

Sounds like your on the same pattern as me. I usually finish at 10pm on Friday after doing two full shifts in 24hrs, have a few pints so I crash to sleep, up dinner time saturday in time to do the same that night, then up about 2pm on Sunday ready to start the next shift at 10pm.

It’s crap, but the job market is ■■■■■■ atm.