So....

After getting back from a 13 and a half hour shift I asked to change my start time so I have 11 hours off which is my choice, I get asked if I have had any reduced rests this week and after me saying no and thats hows its staying I get well you could do seeing as you haven’t had one yet and you had a late start today!!

I said nah thanks ill have 11 off as ill be up all night with my poorly son inget asked if I dont like my job as I wont reduce!!

Now I dont mind having 9 hours off when I want to or when I need to but being made to takes the ■■■■, he did this to me a last week and made me reduce when I worked a 15hour day, he needs a kick to the head.

Rant over

Dan_1986:
After getting back from a 13 and a half hour shift I asked to change my start time so I have 11 hours off which is my choice, I get asked if I have had any reduced rests this week and after me saying no and thats hows its staying I get well you could do seeing as you haven’t had one yet and you had a late start today!!

I said nah thanks ill have 11 off as ill be up all night with my poorly son inget asked if I dont like my job as I wont reduce!!

Now I dont mind having 9 hours off when I want to or when I need to but being made to takes the ■■■■, he did this to me a last week and made me reduce when I worked a 15hour day, he needs a kick to the head.

Rant over

er 13.5hr shift means you already reducing your rest period … ( I know what you mean though( you want a decent rest ie to get home chill then bed etc)

nick2008:

Dan_1986:

Rant over

er 13.5hr shift means you already reducing your rest period … ( I know what you mean though( you want a decent rest ie to get home chill then bed etc)

That was my first thought as well. Best he can do is 10.5 card out which counts as a reduction.

What do you mean “when I want or when I need to” clearly you “need” to have 9 hours off as that’s whats being asked? Seeing as though it counts as a reduced rest anyway as you’ve done more than 13 hours I would just do it.

Ok if you look at it like that I have already reduced my rest but after I got out and had eaten and everything else it would of been 5hours “rest”

If I have a long week then ill “reduce” my rest to get my hours up or if need to start early to finish early ill “reduce”

The rant I was making was being asked or being made to feel bad for not reducing because the blokes a ■■■■■■■ ■■■■

nick2008:
er 13.5hr shift means you already reducing your rest period

How does this work, 13.5x3, 12x2 with 11 off minimum each day/night, can you do a 15 on the 5/6th shift?

Pimpdaddy:

nick2008:
er 13.5hr shift means you already reducing your rest period

How does this work, 13.5x3, 12x2 with 11 off minimum each day/night, can you do a 15 on the 5/6th shift?

technically you have done 3 fifteens, and 2 thirteens, so no, unless you have had a split daily rest.

A 13.5 hour shift is automatically a reduced rest, since the shift and break have to happen within a 24 hour period. So …

You start work at 0500 and work through to 1900. That’s 14 hours. Then you have until 0700 off. That doesn’t count as an 11 off (even though you’ve been off for 12 straight hours), because the clock resets itself at 0500, ie 24 hours after the start of your duty. You’ve actually had 10 hours off, therefore that counts as one of your reduced daily rest days.

Getting a certain type of transport manager to understand this can be difficult!

Rhythm Thief:
A 13.5 hour shift is automatically a reduced rest, since the shift and break have to happen within a 24 hour period. So …

You start work at 0500 and work through to 1900. That’s 14 hours. Then you have until 0700 off. That doesn’t count as an 11 off (even though you’ve been off for 12 straight hours), because the clock resets itself at 0500, ie 24 hours after the start of your duty. You’ve actually had 10 hours off, therefore that counts as one of your reduced daily rest days.

**Getting a certain type of transport manager to understand this can be difficult![/**quote]

Some of us actually have an excellent knowledge of Tachograph law and know what we are doing !!!

I think the OP knows its a reduced daily rest for the regs but chooses to take 11 hours off with 1.5 hours not counting for anything

That’s the way I read it

Dan_1986:
Ok if you look at it like that I have already reduced my rest but after I got out and had eaten and everything else it would of been 5hours “rest”

If I have a long week then ill “reduce” my rest to get my hours up or if need to start early to finish early ill “reduce”

The rant I was making was being asked or being made to feel bad for not reducing because the blokes a [zb] [zb]

So you’re happy to reduce on an early day for some extra coin or an early bath on Friday, but you won’t do it to help your firm out, when you have already reduced, which more than likely another driver had to cover who did less than 13. He will probably be working after you on Friday too. It’s a shame your attitude is becoming more prevalent in our industry :unamused: There’s only one bloke who’s a ■■■■

OVLOV JAY:

Dan_1986:

The rant I was making was being asked or being made to feel bad for not reducing because the blokes a [zb] [zb]

So you’re happy to reduce on an early day for some extra coin or an early bath on Friday, but you won’t do it to help your firm out, when you have already reduced, which more than likely another driver had to cover who did less than 13. He will probably be working after you on Friday too. It’s a shame your attitude is becoming more prevalent in our industry :unamused: There’s only one bloke who’s a [zb]

I disagree - safety comes first and if a driver does not take off what they know is their minimum rest then they are stupid

Would you like a tired LGV driver near you on the road?

I read it as not liking the fact that you are expected to reduce rest more than you need to just because its legal to do so.

The hours regs are great to prevent stupid hours, but its not great when your expected to do every legal hour possible just because you can.

ROG:
I disagree - safety comes first and if a driver does not take off what they know is their minimum rest then they are stupid

Sorry but the op gave off an arrogant attitude imho. If he feels 9 hours rest is only 5 after he’s enjoyed his leisure time, then 11 is only 7 hrs. Sounds like he’s being irresponsible with his hours. I parked up on 13 1/4 last night, had 9 off and got 7 hrs kip. I feel fine this morning. And if I did feel tired at any point, I would stop for a sleep. Any driver that carries on tired is being irresponsible, irrespective of hours imho. As I see it, his operator made a reasonable request as per the requirements of the job at the time. After all, the op already made a concious choice to reduce his hours by going half an hour over a 13. He should have parked up half hour previous, then I would say he had every right to tell the operator to stick it

WhiteWhiteWhite:

Rhythm Thief:

**Getting a certain type of transport manager to understand this can be difficult![/**quote]

Some of us actually have an excellent knowledge of Tachograph law and know what we are doing !!!

More don’t

OVLOV JAY:

ROG:

Sorry but the op gave off an arrogant attitude imho. If he feels 9 hours rest is only 5 after he’s enjoyed his leisure time, then 11 is only 7 hrs. Sounds like he’s being irresponsible with his hours. I parked up on 13 1/4 last night, had 9 off and got 7 hrs kip. I feel fine this morning. And if I did feel tired at any point, I would stop for a sleep. Any driver that carries on tired is being irresponsible, irrespective of hours imho. As I see it, his operator made a reasonable request as per the requirements of the job at the time. After all, the op already made a concious choice to reduce his hours by going half an hour over a 13. He should have parked up half hour previous, then I would say he had every right to tell the operator to stick it

That’s fine for YOU but everyone is different like me for example - I need 8 hours sleep or I am like a zombie but others only need 4 hours and be fully safe

If TMs want drivers who need less than X amount of sleep then they should state that at interview

There is not a one size fits all on this issue

There’s only two options on most haulage work, 11 or 9. I take it you never do 9 hr breaks then rog. And if you need 8 hrs kip on an 11, with commuting you must have no life in the week as well as a very understanding tm

Rhythm Thief:

Getting a certain type of transport manager to understand this can be difficult!

they understand it they just hope you don’t ? …

OVLOV JAY:
There’s only two options on most haulage work, 11 or 9. I take it you never do 9 hr breaks then rog. And if you need 8 hrs kip on an 11, with commuting you must have no life in the week as well as a very understanding tm

If I did a long day then I would not return for 11 hours = simple

I made that clear at interview

There is not just 9 or 11 but there is reduced or regular for the daily rest regs

Rest regs and time off to be safe are two separate issues

ROG:

Hats to break it to you but we all have tired drivers around us, all the time. Life is tiring.

As for OP, just comes across as a typical awkward driver to me. In my driving career Ive found one life changing fact, 90% of the time if you work with your employer and not against him it makes your working life happier and more enjoyable. One 9 isn’t the end of the world