So we're "gormless" now are we?

So this idiot wants us to use maps instead of satnavs, and if we get lost, stop and ask for directions.

In Somerset? Half the locals don’t even know where THEY are never mind where we want to go FFS. Assuming of course you can find a genuine local who uses comprehensible English.

Please feel free to communicate your displeasure at Mr. Liddell-Grainger’s arrogance and bad manners; but do be sure not to do it in a gormless manner. :wink:

Seems he’s not particularly popular locally either;

The man is evidently an utter ■■■■.

Please yourself mate but I reckon most (maybe not all) of what he says is right.! :open_mouth:

robroy:
Please yourself mate but I reckon most (maybe not all) of what he says is right.! :open_mouth:

I agree and have been saying the same for years.

robroy:

+1

It is a total cop out to blame sat navs.

If firms are actually getting away with paying for damage by using that excuse, it’s pretty outrageous really.

Don’t see how you could issue a fixed fine to drivers & firms though for a mistake though no matter how stupid, unless they have blatantly disregarded road signs. Innocent ■■■■ ups do happen, just read the thread about Hollingworth & Vose in Kentmere, poor bloke got stuck despite following a map & obeying the road signs.

rob22888:

robroy:

+1

If firms are actually getting away with paying for damage by using that excuse, it’s pretty outrageous really.

Don’t see how you could issue a fixed fine to drivers & firms though for a mistake though no matter how stupid, unless they have blatantly disregarded road signs. Innocent ■■■■ ups do happen, just read the thread about Hollingworth & Vose in Kentmere, poor bloke got stuck despite following a map & obeying the road signs.

Can’t be arsed to re write it, but if you read one of my posts on p2 of ‘Expensive sat navs’ thread, I am a prime candidate for ending up in deep ■■■■ on one of those type roads, I use them every week.
If ever I do it will not be for the want of attempted prevention by preparation, planning, and checks both pre and while running by periodic calls to farmers.
As for the ‘gormless’ in question, the ones that come a cropper by blindly following sat navs? …No sympathy for them.

If you MUST use pratnav, why not use google maps to look ahead before you leave? Works for me!

robroy:

rob22888:

robroy:

+1

Can’t be arsed to re write it, but if you read one of my posts on p2 of ‘Expensive sat navs’ thread, I am a prime candidate for ending up in deep [zb] on one of those type roads, I use them every week.
If ever I do it will not be for the want of attempted prevention by preparation, planning, and checks both pre and while running by periodic calls to farmers.
As for the ‘gormless’ in question, the ones that come a cropper by blindly following sat navs? …No sympathy for them.

Me too; all my work is to farms and if you plan properly it isn’t a problem. But if it does go wrong despite your best intentions, can your gaffer afford twenty grand even if it ain’t his fault or yours?

That however was not what incensed me. The two examples he cites are of a car full of pensioners, and an obviously European-owned coach whose driver probably didn’t speak much English; neither of them involved damage to anything besides a few pairs of Hush Puppies, neither had anything whatsoever to do with HGV drivers. It’s worth pointing out that the country lanes of Somerset are indeed clogged up with lorries, but that’s more because of the sheer number of NIMBY diversions in that county than anything to do with satnavs. That and the ■■■■ poor quality of the roads. Yet it’s lorry drivers who are “gormless” he says. Are you lot really going to sit there and say “Yes that’s all right, because it ain’t me he’s talking about cos I’m perfect and I don’t do that”?

Disappointed. I expected better from you.

I wonder how transport ever existed before Sat Nav’s - you know load Amsterdam , tip Rome- go Swiss- that’s all the instruction we used to get… some how without a fake voice chirping at us we managed to find our way around, by looking at maps and stopping and asking folks- most estate agents would happily give away maps of the area- sorry if you cant find your way around without a sythentic voice telling you, then your probably in the wrong job

Sidevalve:

robroy:

rob22888:

robroy:

+1

Can’t be arsed to re write it, but if you read one of my posts on p2 of ‘Expensive sat navs’ thread, I am a prime candidate for ending up in deep [zb] on one of those type roads, I use them every week.

Me too; all my work is to farms and if you plan properly it isn’t a problem. But if it does go wrong despite your best intentions, can your gaffer afford twenty grand even if it ain’t his fault or yours?

That however was not what incensed me. The two examples he cites are of a car full of pensioners, and an obviously European-owned coach whose driver probably didn’t speak much English; neither of them involved damage to anything besides a few pairs of Hush Puppies, neither had anything whatsoever to do with HGV drivers. It’s worth pointing out that the country lanes of Somerset are indeed clogged up with lorries, but that’s more because of the sheer number of NIMBY diversions in that county than anything to do with satnavs. That and the ■■■■ poor quality of the roads. Yet it’s lorry drivers who are “gormless” he says. Are you lot really going to sit there and say “Yes that’s all right, because it ain’t me he’s talking about cos I’m perfect and I don’t do that”?

Disappointed. I expected better from you.

Granted he did not give any specific examples concerning trucks.
As for you expecting better, are you saying that what he says is untrue?
I agree with your point about the weight limit diversions being part of the problem, caused by the nimbys.
I disagree with the disproportionate proposed fine.
No I aint perfect, and all of us ■■■■ up from time to time, but the rest of it, and the gormless amongst us…I can’t argue with him.

robroy:

No. I’m saying that as a trade or profession (call it what you will) we deserve better than to be called “gormless” by someone who’s probably never been in a lorry never mind driven one. and we should object strongly when they do, not just accept it. The points he’s making may be valid, the insult isn’t justified.

Rikki-UK:
I wonder how transport ever existed before Sat Nav’s - you know load Amsterdam , tip Rome- go Swiss- that’s all the instruction we used to get… some how without a fake voice chirping at us we managed to find our way around, by looking at maps and stopping and asking folks- most estate agents would happily give away maps of the area- sorry if you cant find your way around without a sythentic voice telling you, then your probably in the wrong job

Have to kind of agree.
Tip here going to there bla bla bla. Unfortunately I have chucked old my old maps from years ago because I never thought I would get my licence back. Big mistake, yes they get updated but they have ur experience on them. Little makings of places etc.
Returning to driving casualy this month and the first thing I have bought is a map. Bridge heights etc.
Walked into many a local petrol station and I can tell they’re not (let’s say local) so I walk out till I find someone local.
It’s boils down too using your Loaf. (Brain)

rocketsquadron:

Rikki-UK:

Have to kind of agree.
Tip here going to there bla bla bla. Unfortunately I have chucked old my old maps from years ago because I never thought I would get my licence back. Big mistake, yes they get updated but they have ur experience on them. Little makings of places etc.
Returning to driving casualy this month and the first thing I have bought is a map. Bridge heights etc.
Walked into many a local petrol station and I can tell they’re not (let’s say local) so I walk out till I find someone local.
It’s boils down too using your Loaf. (Brain)

Meanwhile whilst you’re peeing half your daily duty/driving time away stopping every 5 minutes to get directions the bloke with the Satnav will have already got to the drop.

Surely this whole argument is moot; that’s what insurance is for?

Javiatrix:
Surely this whole argument is moot; that’s what insurance is for?

Up to a point; it would of course be better to avoid need for claims in the first place but I really don’t think that binning satnavs will help much.

Goto to any Rdc and you’ll see a bunch of gormless idiots. You know the ones. Staring slack jawed at sky sports whilst waiting for magdalena the migrant to shout out their bay number. The same gormless idiots who think tramping means not washing all week. The same gormless idiots who panic on anything less than a motorway. Yes the ones who need two say navs to find the same delivery/collection point that they do week in week out.

Just my point of view. Sorry if I offend any of you by describing you.

If the transport clerk did his duty and made the driver aware of his route he wouldn’t need to do it for him whilst he plays executive coffee drinker.moreover if the correct trailer and route bridgestrikes never happen .poor management is endemic

That was incorrect of that MP to call lorry drivers gormless. The correct job title is ‘gormless, knuckle dragging, neanderthal distribution technicians’. I hate it when people abbreviate job titles. :imp:

Sidevalve:

robroy:

No. I’m saying that as a trade or profession (call it what you will) we deserve better than to be called “gormless” by someone who’s probably never been in a lorry never mind driven one. and we should object strongly when they do, not just accept it. The points he’s making may be valid, the insult isn’t justified.

I think you have missed his point mate, the ones that he says are gormless are the ones that blindly follow sat navs when their brains are telling them different. (which IS justified)
Not drivers in general :bulb:
I can’t see a problem with that, and I’m surprised that you do.
We all, young and old, use sat navs, it’s how you apply them, use them, and how much you actually rely on them that sorts out the gormless from the pro.

I had a prime example this morning. An address in tullibody and the nokia satnav is telling me the postcode is in the middle of glasgow :open_mouth:
The downloaded satnav is telling me to go to alloa which is also wrong
Google maps is the way to go and even shows rach of my 5 drops today which is handy :sunglasses:

Rikki-UK:

managed to get aroud france/spain/Italy and Greece with a standard map, lots of pointing at addresses and a good knowledge of the country in questions footballers/teams.

UK it was a bridge height map and box of a-z’s

in both I even spoke to other drivers and shared information - rather than ■■■■■■■■ RDC rumours, maybe this is why drivers seem so reticent to assist each other nowadays? its the sat navs fault.