So much for drivers looking out for each other

I am posting this to shame some of our so called professional drivers, following an early morning accident on the A9 drummochter pass twin track section yesterday morning, I was appalled to hear from my fellow workmate that 4 trucks passed the scene of the accident without stopping to check if the driver was ok, let alone ALIVE. A white van driver heading north did stop to which he became grateful to but was unable to thank at the time.

Come on drivers please take care on the roads an lookout for each other especially now winter in approaching on us.

shamefull… is the driver ok

yeah here here mate,i know i would stop and hope others would if it happened to me,i hope the drivers ok!!

A few years ago if you broke down the next truck to come along would stop to see if they could help in any way, but JIT and other pressures have stopped all that, but even still I would have expected the trucks to stop for this, and car users for that matter :open_mouth:

I have just recently stopped driving trucks partly to be home more and partly because I got sick and tired of all the crap that now comes with the job, like the driver CPC, low wages, WTD etc etc etc
My new job reminds me a bit of what it was like in the past with the truck drivers, I am now driving a cab and recently had the misfortune of breaking down in the small hours, we have AA recovery so I was not to worried about recovery, but they took quite a while coming out to me, I couldn’t sit in the car as I was in the live lane on the A2 just before Canterbury, so was standing on the verge, while I was waiting every single taxi that came down the road pulled over to see if I was ok or if I needed anything or wanted taking back to our office, I didn’t actually need any help, but it was nice that they all stopped to check. I have sat on the side of the road just outside Calais for 3 hours waiting for assistance to come out, and the only trucks to stop for me there were French. Makes you wonder sometimes :unamused:

jimti:
A few years ago if you broke down the next truck to come along would stop to see if they could help in any way, but JIT and other pressures have stopped all that, but even still I would have expected the trucks to stop for this, and car users for that matter :open_mouth:

I have just recently stopped driving trucks partly to be home more and partly because I got sick and tired of all the crap that now comes with the job, like the driver CPC, low wages, WTD etc etc etc
My new job reminds me a bit of what it was like in the past with the truck drivers, I am now driving a cab and recently had the misfortune of breaking down in the small hours, we have AA recovery so I was not to worried about recovery, but they took quite a while coming out to me, I couldn’t sit in the car as I was in the live lane on the A2 just before Canterbury, so was standing on the verge, while I was waiting every single taxi that came down the road pulled over to see if I was ok or if I needed anything or wanted taking back to our office, I didn’t actually need any help, but it was nice that they all stopped to check. I have sat on the side of the road just outside Calais for 3 hours waiting for assistance to come out, and the only trucks to stop for me there were French. Makes you wonder sometimes :unamused:

As a kid, I remember drivers on Smiths would help each other shovel a load out that stuck in the body. I first helped someone not long after I’d started driving in 2001, and the driver was shocked I’d stopped to help him (only took 5 mins with the 2 of us but other drivers gave strange looks)

Hope the drivers ok thigh gotta ask how he rolled it on a pretty straight bit of road?

gogzy:
Hope the drivers ok thigh gotta ask how he rolled it on a pretty straight bit of road?

possibly wind?? has been a bit blowy lately and hes pullin a double decker

phantom309:

gogzy:

possibly wind?? has been a bit blowy lately and hes pullin a double decker

Yep or a tyre failure,i think Gogzy is relativeley new to artic driving so maybe thats why he has to ask?

I know that section of road very well and I doubt at that point it was windy enough to do that, bearing in mind it’s the outside land he’s landed on and into the section between the 2 carriageways

gogzy:
I know that section of road very well and I doubt at that point it was windy enough to do that,

I’ve just found a new sig !!! Gogzy, you couldn’t make you up !!!

Mike-C:

gogzy:
I know that section of road very well and I doubt at that point it was windy enough to do that,

Mike it was loaded with bog roll and wasn’t windy there yesterday just wet

gogzy:

Mike-C:

gogzy:

then surely it would be even easier to send over a light tall trailer in high wind dont stand much of a chance that and most of the tyres look intact from what is visable in the pic

phantom309:

gogzy:

Mike-C:

gogzy:

then surely it would be even easier to send over a light tall trailer in high wind dont stand much of a chance that and most of the tyres look intact from what is visable in the pic

I was on this stretch of road when this happened. I got to it just after the lifted the truck back on it’s wheels there wasn’t any wind, I’ve driven deckers before I know what it’s like to drive an empty curtain decker in high wind but as I said there wasn’t any wind

How come you were there Gogzy ■■

gogzy:

Mike-C:

gogzy:

Mike it was loaded with big roll and wasn’t windy there yesterday just wet

Yeah but come on you can’t know where a wind was or wasn’t, a gust can occur even in relative calm and that looks like the top of a moor on that pic to me. It may not even of been a gust of wind, could be a tyre, other vehicle involved or anything. But what i can say is that i’ve seen these accidents happen before and to be honest my first instinct in everyone i’ve ever seen is to get out the way and drive past and carry on. I know i’ll get slated for that, but its almost like the accident in front is just a hinderance and doesn’t compute. Besides i can’t stand blood and guts and i’d be useless even if i did stop. The most i’m capable of is making a phone call !!!

That’s why I asked mike

Dont know what happened but i drove from Inverness to Perth 2day, and the wind was throwing me all over the road ! ! If you see an accident stop n check ! ■■ Only takes a minute or two !

glesgatrucker:
Dont know what happened but i drove from Inverness to Perth 2day, and the wind was throwing me all over the road ! ! If you see an accident stop n check ! ■■ Only takes a minute or two !

Was yesterday

glesgatrucker:
If you see an accident stop n check ! ■■ Only takes a minute or two !

I know thats the point of this thread but a sad fact is, most are too busy or working to deadlines to do so.

I hope your mate is ok Skippy.
Personally I would have stopped, firstly cos i’m a nosey git :open_mouth: :open_mouth: but more importantly cos I have first aid training .
But also I dont have a problem with what mike-c says because if you believe that you will be of no use at all then you would be better staying well out of the way, unless you are first on the scene in which case the very least you can do is stop and use your phone.