Snooper.

Anyone ever had this sat nav throw up a low bridge for no apparent reason. Leaving Torquay on Friday it tried diverting me saying there was a low bridge ahead( 12 ft1)when in fact there was no bridge there at all as I had come in that way on the delivery. It was on the a380 towards Newton Abbott. The snooper had me questioning myself :smiley: and tried diverting me. Or is mine just faulty.

When did you last update the maps.

I’ve had a couple of wrong bridge heights in my favour on my snooper but never for a non existent one.

dar1976:
When did you last update the maps.

I’ve had a couple of wrong bridge heights in my favour on my snooper but never for a non existent one.

I have not had it updated as I never knew this was available. Where would I get an update from? Thanks.

The Snooper website might be a good place to start…

Ken.

SNOOPER

The options available are on snooperneo.com

I believe it’s available for all snoopers.

Hope this helps.

They both beat me to it :slight_smile:

Ha, walked into that one, meant to have just posted I was nt aware of updates :smiley:

I use a snooper s8000 and a couple times its told me the bridge ahead is a few inches smaller than the road signs say and also ive noticed that if i go the wrong way it’ll try telling me to go down dead end roads to turn round in but you’d probably struggle to get a car down them but it seems to think its a good idea. It hasnt been too bad so far but not updated it yet, Does anyone know if the speed camera database is worth purchasing for it? not had a propper read up on it yet.

Danny

I have the speed camera database subscription and yes it’s spot on. It’s not free. 3 quid a month. And I don’t rely on it. But it helps for the odd lapse of concentration.

Having just added my snooper model number into there website it says there are no updates available for my unit. I’m currently on 2.0.0.41, would that sound about right? It’s an s7000.

mr lordi, if you just had the nav switched on and not directing you somewhere it will throw up the low bridges and other limits applicable to your lorry in the area you are driving in.

it will know where you are but not where you are going if it hasnt got a destination to head for.

so the nav gives you an heads up of whats around restriction wise in case you decide to head off towards a low bridge 7.5t limit etc.

nowt wrong with the nav.

mr lordi:
Having just added my snooper model number into there website it says there are no updates available for my unit. I’m currently on 2.0.0.41, would that sound about right? It’s an s7000.

Bell them up tomorrow, and see what they have to say.

Couldn’t be bothered with a Snooper, so I bought myself a TT5150 tonight, as I’m familiar with the TT set up.

Ken.

mr lordi:

There are 3 updates accessed from separate links.

The software.
The maps
The speed camera database.

You need to check at least the first 2 are up to date.

I also have the S7000 but can’t remember off the top of my head what S/W or Maps version number is current.

Where abouts were you on the A380, as I know this part of the country well, living in Torquay n all :slight_smile:

madmossy:
Where abouts were you on the A380, as I know this part of the country well, living in Torquay n all :slight_smile:

On the a380 there is a roundabout with a pub on it called the pen inn, it tried sending me left there on to the a381, after carrying on, on the a380 about half a mile on from the roundabout theres a green foot bridge it was about 100 yards after there it was saying there was a 12ft 1 bridge :smiley:

It now sort of has me wondering if its done it before as going into Liverpool on a regular drop there does nt seem straight forward and a bit of a tight route? hence me asking the other week about the settings on this thing thinking i had it set up wrong, could it be diverting me.

Yes it could, i have an s 7000 and have used it since they first came out, it will often try to divert me round low bridges that have long gone or dont even exist!
i leave mine swiched on on a route i know just for the rough time of arrival and i often think that if was to rely on the thing i would often be going miles out of the way!
the snooper has been a good tool but i am sure that there are much better sat navs to be had, local to me is a bridge that was raised in hight about 7 years ago and another that has never even been there in living memory but the thing will still try to direct you round even sending you through weight limits and even cart tracks!.. and yes it is set up right!
another thing is if you choose to ignore the thing it seems slow to re calculate the route even when you know the route you are taking is the shortest and best for a truck, at times it can be asking you to do a u turn for the next 10 mins before getting a grip! the voice on mine is called jane and so is my next door sister in law and she to is a moaning whinging know it all !!

dar1976:
I have the speed camera database subscription and yes it’s spot on. It’s not free. 3 quid a month. And I don’t rely on it. But it helps for the odd lapse of concentration.

You paid how much for it and you dont get the speed cameras on it. Snooper do know how to get money from you

mickyblue:

dar1976:

You paid how much for it and you dont get the speed cameras on it. Snooper do know how to get money from you

I know :frowning:.

Map updates aren’t free either. :frowning:

Like most of these devices they are just a tool.

Snooper are not good at updates etc and you can’t buy one off lifetime map updates just for the UK. Map updates are around £60 - £80 a time so if you feel the need… Of course you never know what you actually buy with these updates so you could just be giving them money! It does not say that this update includes x amount of new maps, fixes issues etc so I would be suspicious.

The other major problem with them is that there is little you can add to the memory or whatever to personalise them and the user input fields are too small to add useful info.

If I’m really honest though I don’t really think its truck specific either because it ignores obvious issues like length, residential areas and the like and tries to send you to some ridiculous places! It should prioritise routes in Motorway, A Roads, B roads etc no matter if you choose shortest or fastest route.

Any properly programmed satnav could miss a low bridge but the mk1 eyeball and a truck specific atlas will keep you safer.

Just an opinion!!