Smoking when driving

As a follow up to drinking when driving,does anybody know of any driver who has been done for lighting up in a company vehicle,i dont think the law has made any difference at all,i see loads of drivers smoking when their driving,not just owner drivers ,i see plenty of big firm drivers blazing away :open_mouth:

Yes one of our driver got prosecuted in Birmingham. Another one was reported by a member of the public and got an official warning of the council.
However that was 2.5 years ago, never heard anything since.

Iā€™m sure i read on here a stobbie driver was shopped by a spotter!! :laughing:

The reason i ask ,i was talking to a bloke today whos was sacked from dhl for smoking a vapour cig and a gaffer saw him when he past on the motorway,no ifs or buts gone :blush:

maga:
Iā€™m sure i read on here a stobbie driver was shopped by a spotter!! :laughing:

Sure the spotter wasnt smoking the driver maga :open_mouth: :laughing:

About a year and a half ago,driver sat on passenger seat with door open and legs dangling out, having a coffee waiting for town centre shop to open in Kilmarnock to make a delivery.
He lights up,seconds later bloke comes out of office block and slaps a fine on him,no ifs no buts.
Turns out the office block was the council offices.
Regards. John.

one drivers was sacked form some company.because police found who he was driving truck, use mobile phone and smoke at same time.make video recording and company bosses ā€¦

You can smoke in a truck if you are the only one who uses it. I stopped smoking but if I still smoked I would in the cab. Stupid nanny state wont be happy until we are all broke, miserable and robotic.
They dont want people to smoke but they want the money and dont mind sending folk off to die in pointless wars.
Bring back the 60s and 70s I say.

viking7000:

No thanks, they were crap.

Conor:

viking7000:

Music was good though!! :smiley:

Our firmsā€™ view is the driver can smoke in his own vehicle* but if out with a non smoker then he can tell the smoker not to. Not legal I know but this rule works well. Iā€™m not so strict with my driversā€™ mates who smoke as I used to be. If they make the effort by not choking me, not flicking ash everywhere etc then they can. Well, within reason. I wont allow chain smokers.
If a mate is caught smoking, are they committing the offence as in, thereā€™s no comeback on me?
*Get caught and youā€™re on your own though.

viking7000:
You can smoke in a truck if you are the only one who uses it. I stopped smoking but if I still smoked I would in the cab. Stupid nanny state wont be happy until we are all broke, miserable and robotic.
They dont want people to smoke but they want the money and dont mind sending folk off to die in pointless wars.

Are you sure? Itā€™s illegal to smoke in an enclosed work space, no matter how many people work there. The only exception I know is a company car allocated to one specific driver, which is used for personal transport

sayersy:
Are you sure? Itā€™s illegal to smoke in an enclosed work space, no matter how many people work there. The only exception I know is a company car allocated to one specific driver, which is used for personal transport

Dear Mr Michael Moss,

I am writing with regard to a letter received by my employer, Fleetwood
Transport about the Health Act 2006, following a complaint from a witness
that I was smoking in the vehicle GN54CYO, an articulated lorry tractor
unit. Your reference is ENF-SMF-08-0054

My employer has passed on the letter for me to deal with.

I am the driver of the vehicle. This is not a pool vehicle which returns to
base every night, it is an allocated vehicle and is to all intents and
purposes my home, having beds, refrigerator, cooker, TV etc. I generally
live in it for five to six days a week. Last week, for example, I went to Spain in it.

Nobody else ever drives this vehicle, or ever has driven this vehicle. I am
the only person who ever uses it. We are obliged by law to retain for 12
months tachograph charts recording the activities of the vehicle and any
driver and you are welcome to inspect these by mutual arrangement to confirm this.
Additionally, no passenger ever travels in the vehicle.

This vehicle is therefore exempt from the Health Act 2006, as it is not used
by more than one person and I would be grateful if you would point this out
to your complainant and any future complainant.

Should you have any questions, please donā€™t hestitate to ask, preferably by
email although I have supplied my contact details below.

Yours Sincerely,

Harry Monk,
The Park Bench,
Turnham Green,
Peckham.

Dear Mr Harry Monk,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your response to my letter dated 2nd October 2008, regarding a complaint about smoking within a potential smoke-free vehicle. From the information that you have provided, I agree with you, that the vehicle that you drive is exempt under the Health Act 2006 and that the letter can be disregarded.

I apologise for any inconvenience that my letter may have caused,
I am afraid that it is a standard letter and is used in all cases, even when further information is required. I have kept your comments on file, so that should a similar complaint be received, the complaint can be properly notified and no further action shall be taken against the company.

Thank you once again for your cooperation.
With regards

Michael Moss (Enforcement Officer

viking7000:

Err noā€¦

cliffystephens:

viking7000:

Err noā€¦

No need to go on and on about it.

Conor:

viking7000:

Donā€™t agree mate,very happy days for me anyway and the music was great !

i just light up when i am out on the road never stopped and never will, i do keep the cabs clean and give them a quick polish after my use, trying to hide the smell of smoke but some of the non smoker drivers are worse than women for there nose, they go straight into transport crying they can smell smoke in there cab but they can not prove it so they just look like planks in to the end

Have to say as a non smoker I can smell smoke as soon as I open the cab door. If this is the case I ask for a different truck I donā€™t want to smell of stale smoke end of.

desypete:
i just light up when i am out on the road never stopped and never will, i do keep the cabs clean and give them a quick polish after my use, trying to hide the smell of smoke but some of the non smoker drivers are worse than women for there nose, they go straight into transport crying they can smell smoke in there cab but they can not prove it so they just look like planks in to the end

Thats ok with me,if theres no ash and the fella whos had a ā– ā– ā–  as had the window down , spray with air freshener etc,cant see a problem,im a ex smoker and can see a smokers point of view with all the do gooders going over the topā€¦worse than born again christians some of them :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

A business was fined by a council / police sting after collecting a new van from a sign writing company as it did not display a ā€œno smoking signā€ in the van

croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Clea ā€¦ story.html