Smoking in the office

Do you smoke in your lorry? Are you allowed too as such? I know one guy at my place does and doesn’t exactly hide it going by the ash everywhere.

Yes I do, and even if it was illegal I still would. My truck however is Gibraltar plated and there are still no anti smoking laws in Gib - apart from an odd one which came into force last week banning smoking in bloody bus shelters of all places.

I would add though that i only smoke with the window open, never use the ashtray as ashtrays in cabs really do stink and I regularly clean everything in the cab - virtually to the point of obssesion!

I dont smoke but my boss doesn’t care if you smoke in the cab as we have the same truck every day but moans if the truck is full of ash and dog ends

I might get corrected on this but my understanding of the law as it stands is it is illegal to smoke in your lorry unless it is a sleeper,as this is classified as your home whilst tramping and as such you can smoke in it.I have no doubt some one on here will give you chapter and verse on it.

Brian J:
I might get corrected on this but my understanding of the law as it stands is it is illegal to smoke in your lorry unless it is a sleeper,as this is classified as your home whilst tramping and as such you can smoke in it.I have no doubt some one on here will give you chapter and verse on it.

just seen your avatar so personal question, are you an ex Life Guard - cos I am too.

just seen your avatar so personal question, are you an ex Life Guard - cos I am too.

Yes I am Pm me your details are you a member of TOOT

i smoke in my lorry, its kind of turned a blind eye too, we were told as long as the cab isnt full of ash and cig buts and cleaned out every day, we could smoke in it. was also told not to smoke localish to the yard as management might see.

i drive the same unit every day, clean it, polish it inside 2 times a day, have the sun roof open unless raining and have air fresheners in it. i must be doing something right, as the night driver has the choice of9 units to take but he takes mine, he says its because its the tidiest and he can tell its smoked in but it doesnt smell like an ashtray.

Brian J:
I might get corrected on this but my understanding of the law as it stands is it is illegal to smoke in your lorry unless it is a sleeper,as this is classified as your home whilst tramping and as such you can smoke in it.

mythbusted.jpg

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive … 33475.html

And my friend who is a long distance lorry driver who leaves homes at 4.00am on a Monday morning and gets back late Friday night / early Saturday cannot now legally smoke in what is effectively his home for 5 or 6 days a week even though no-one else ever goes in that cab.

Not at all, if he is the only one using the lorry. Following is from the Smokefree England Website:

“Public transport and work vehicles used by more than one person must be smokefree at all times.”
You can smoke then as long as no one else drives the lorry

Brian J:
Is it illegal to smoke in a company van/lorry - General Discussions - Sheffield Forum

And my friend who is a long distance lorry driver who leaves homes at 4.00am on a Monday morning and gets back late Friday night / early Saturday cannot now legally smoke in what is effectively his home for 5 or 6 days a week even though no-one else ever goes in that cab.

Not at all, if he is the only one using the lorry. Following is from the Smokefree England Website:

“Public transport and work vehicles used by more than one person must be smokefree at all times.”

Does the vehicle never go for a service then? Or be road tested after a repair or service? Does he never have any holidays? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, the image above referred to the it’s classed as your home thing and only if it’s a sleeper thing. The truck isn’t your home, even if you have nights out.

Dear Mr Michael Moss,

I am writing with regard to a letter received by my employer, Fleetwood
Transport about the Health Act 2006, following a complaint from a witness
that I was smoking in the vehicle (Registration Number Removed), an articulated lorry tractor
unit. Your reference is ENF-SMF-08-0054

My employer has passed on the letter for me to deal with.

I am the driver of the vehicle. This is not a pool vehicle which returns to
base every night, it is an allocated vehicle and is to all intents and
purposes my home, having beds, refrigerator, cooker, TV etc. I generally
live in it for five to six days a week. Last week, for example, I went to Spain in it.

Nobody else ever drives this vehicle, or ever has driven this vehicle. I am
the only person who ever uses it. We are obliged by law to retain for 12
months tachograph charts recording the activities of the vehicle and any
driver and you are welcome to inspect these by mutual arrangement to confirm this.
Additionally, no passenger ever travels in the vehicle.

This vehicle is therefore exempt from the Health Act 2006, as it is not used
by more than one person and I would be grateful if you would point this out
to your complainant and any future complainant.

Should you have any questions, please don’t hestitate to ask, preferably by
email although I have supplied my contact details below.

Yours Sincerely,

Harry Monk,
The Park Bench,
Turnham Green,
Peckham.

"Dear Mr Harry Monk,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your response to my letter dated 2nd October 2008, regarding a complaint about smoking within a potential smoke-free vehicle. From the information that you have provided, I agree with you, that the vehicle that you drive is exempt under the Health Act 2006 and that the letter can be disregarded.

I apologise for any inconvenience that my letter may have caused,
I am afraid that it is a standard letter and is used in all cases, even when further information is required. I have kept your comments on file, so that should a similar complaint be received, the complaint can be properly notified and no further action shall be taken against the company.

Thank you once again for your cooperation.
With regards

Michael Moss (Enforcement Officer)

Harry Monk:

Dear Mr Michael Moss,

I am writing with regard to a letter received by my employer, Fleetwood
Transport about the Health Act 2006, following a complaint from a witness
that I was smoking in the vehicle (Registration Number Removed), an articulated lorry tractor
unit. Your reference is ENF-SMF-08-0054

My employer has passed on the letter for me to deal with.

I am the driver of the vehicle. This is not a pool vehicle which returns to
base every night, it is an allocated vehicle and is to all intents and
purposes my home, having beds, refrigerator, cooker, TV etc. I generally
live in it for five to six days a week. Last week, for example, I went to Spain in it.

Nobody else ever drives this vehicle, or ever has driven this vehicle. I am
the only person who ever uses it. We are obliged by law to retain for 12
months tachograph charts recording the activities of the vehicle and any
driver and you are welcome to inspect these by mutual arrangement to confirm this.
Additionally, no passenger ever travels in the vehicle.

This vehicle is therefore exempt from the Health Act 2006, as it is not used
by more than one person and I would be grateful if you would point this out
to your complainant and any future complainant.

Should you have any questions, please don’t hestitate to ask, preferably by
email although I have supplied my contact details below.

Yours Sincerely,

Harry Monk,
The Park Bench,
Turnham Green,
Peckham.

"Dear Mr Harry Monk,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your response to my letter dated 2nd October 2008, regarding a complaint about smoking within a potential smoke-free vehicle. From the information that you have provided, I agree with you, that the vehicle that you drive is exempt under the Health Act 2006 and that the letter can be disregarded.

I apologise for any inconvenience that my letter may have caused,
I am afraid that it is a standard letter and is used in all cases, even when further information is required. I have kept your comments on file, so that should a similar complaint be received, the complaint can be properly notified and no further action shall be taken against the company.

Thank you once again for your cooperation.
With regards

Michael Moss (Enforcement Officer)

Legend!

The bosses where I work know that the smokers amongst us smoke in company vehicles and their unofficial line is “as long as we don’t see you then we don’t know about it”. The transport director also told us to avoid lighting up on certain roads at certain times incase we go past the H&S bod on her way to work.

I drove past the managing director with a ■■■ on the go and he flashed and waved and without realising it I waved back with a ■■■ in my hand :slight_smile: Didn’t hear anything else about it though… although if it had been my bullying supervisor it would have been another story (see other thread)

I do sympathise with non smokers though. I’ve given up many times for a month or two and when you get in a smokers cab it REEKS and everything from the dashboard to the bunk is covered in a fine layer of smelly dust. I do smoke at the moment out of addiction, but I think it’s disgusting and keep trying to give up.

I read (somewhere on this site) that the cops wont stop you for smoking in the cab because it’s not worth their paper work.

One job I go to on agency there’s a truck that’s used as a ‘smokers’ unit - basically the guy who uses it during the day is a heavy smoker and they will only give it to other drivers who smoke as well - luckily I suppose there are fewer night runs than day ones so the truck is always spare if there are no smokers. No-one has any problems with the arrangement so no complaints. I remember years ago when I went to Argos we were asked if we were a smoker or non-smoker - that system seemed to work fine as well. I’m quite happy to reject a unit because it stinks of cigarettes, especially if the previous driver hasn’t cleared out the ashtray & swept out any ash on the floor. As long as the powers that be use the current law sensibly then I can’t see any problem.

I dont smoke :grimacing:

Sent by a zebra on a moped

I’ve started smoking again, shouldn’t really but that just that. Alot of my work is single track and quiet country roads so tend to keep it to that when i do.

I don’t smoke , but i used to,& like a chimney at times mostly due to boredom whilst driving on some autoroute/barn during the twilight hours ,& no smoking ban was ever going to stop me, but after a few years of not getting over there and the rip off price over here for them i chose to quit those killer cigs,

As a smoker you become too accustomed to the smell on clothing & fabrics, to notice , but after not smoking for several years, you can easily tell if someone is a smoker or not, not by seeing them smoke, but by smelling it on them, just as if someone in a car ahead of you is smoking in slow moving traffic, So i know where those who have never smoked are tomming from, but if there is not actual smoke in the cab them there is no risk to their health ,

Coffeeholic:

Brian J:
Is it illegal to smoke in a company van/lorry - General Discussions - Sheffield Forum

Does the vehicle never go for a service then? Or be road tested after a repair or service? Does he never have any holidays? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

well if you apply that theory then coffee i cant smoke in my car as it has to be m.o.t’ed every year!! oh and i do smoke in my truck checked with local council where i live and the council in the area that covers our operating centre and was told by both the same as harry that they were not interested as i was the only driver :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

peteandbrenda:

Coffeeholic:

Brian J:

well if you apply that theory then coffee i cant smoke in my car as it has to be m.o.t’ed every year!!

Your car isn’t classed as a work vehicle obviously. :unamused: :unamused:

You do realise I was being sarcastic/pedantic? See the smilies after the three questions? That’s the clue. :wink:

I dont smoke, but used our spare wagon a few months ago and it had been used by a smoker.

My big problem was that at about 2 o clock on the steering wheel there was a thick, smelly tar stained area that I could not get rid of. It made my right hand smell of stale tar and there was no way of cleaning it off.

Obviously he had held his ciggy in his right hand and the smoke was pouring over that area of the wheel, disgusting.

I really dont have a problem with smokers but using that wagon after one was really nasty.