Smoking in the cab?

Is it legal or does it class as workplace. I don’t smoke but just wondered as I sit here waiting for the minutes of my break to disappear bored at Blythe services.

Well companies say its illegal. Personally, selfish #### that I am, have always smoked in the cab regardless of silly stickers warning me otherwise.
I do, however, make sure the cab is dusted and properly freshened up prior to the end of my shift ready for the next non smoking driver to use it. Seems reasonable to me.

Now i’ll sit back and await the torrent of abuse from non smoking drivers!!

Do you really need to ask this question?
Spark up and enjoy and if plod comes over tell him to ■■■■ off cos your on your break

Heh Heh!

I have to drive vehicles that are normally driven by smokers and the problem I get is that it smells sweet when you get in it but whether they have smoked in it or outside they have not washed their hands and the steering wheel reeks of tobacco smoke. This then gets on my hands and I then have to try and clean the steering wheel, normally to no avail.

waddy640:
I have to drive vehicles that are normally driven by smokers and the problem I get is that it smells sweet when you get in it but whether they have smoked in it or outside they have not washed their hands and the steering wheel reeks of tobacco smoke. This then gets on my hands and I then have to try and clean the steering wheel, normally to no avail.

Personally, if I were a non smoker, I would have more problem with the snot, nicotine, sperm, and faecal matter getting on my hands from the steering wheel than a bit of diluted cigarette smoke. #just saying

Nothing worse than jumping into a cab with the smell of stale smoke and the roof lining all yellow with ash and baccy dropped everywhere.
I wouldn’t mind if the smoker was someone like coreysboys though. Just a bit of consideration. Just the same as spilling a bit of coffee, clear it up.

It will be a brave copper to stop 44 ton at 56 mph cos the driver has a ■■■ lit. :smiley:

Taken from the website of anti smoking charity, Forest.

Any vehicle (car, van or lorry) used as a “workplace” by more than one person is covered by the ban. Smokers driving company cars, vans, lorries and enclosed tractors in England can be fined £50 for lighting up at the wheel if the vehicle might be handed over to a colleague from work later in the day.

Employees who get a company car for their sole use are allowed to smoke while giving a non-smoking colleague a lift to work, because the journey will count as private use. But employees sharing a pool car will not be allowed to light up, even if they are all heavy smokers.

There are very few exemptions to the ban, but they currently include designated hotel bedrooms and prison cells. The law in Scotland also denies actors the ability to light up on stage or film set. Actors in England are not prevented from smoking on stage (including film and television sets) if it is important to the artistic integrity of the performance.

Signage must be a minimum of 23x16cm otherwise employers can face prosecution.

Local councils are responsible for enforcement, NOT police.

Basically, yes its illegal but its nigh on unenforcable so crack on. Pretty sure there isnt a single case of a transport firm. eing fined yet. Your biggest worry would be a slap on the wrist from your employer after a non smoker complains about the smell.

Unenforceable ■■ I have dissmissed a driver for smoking in company vehicles,
We now only employ non smokers

SHYTOT:

I meant in terms of the authorities catching you do it. Of course if your employer doesnt tolerate it then its different, but a lot arent really that ■■■■ about it, they have stickers in the cabs etc. but its mostly lip service.

It’s not nice as a non smoker getting in a cab after the smoker has got out , your never gona hide the smell…

SHYTOT:

Which is why I always put non smoker on my application :wink:

There are very few exemptions to the ban, but they currently include designated hotel bedrooms and prison cells.

Also excluded is the Palace of Westminster, the MP’s made sure that they wouldn’t be affected at work.

coreysboys:
There are very few exemptions to the ban, but they currently include designated hotel bedrooms and prison cells.

Wouldn’t want to upset prisoners would we, they might kick off.

coreysboys:
Taken from the website of anti smoking charity, Forest.

Any vehicle (car, van or lorry) used as a “workplace” by more than one person is covered by the ban. Smokers driving company cars, vans, lorries and enclosed tractors in England can be fined £50 for lighting up at the wheel if the vehicle might be handed over to a colleague from work later in the day.

Am I to understand from that paragraph that I can indeed legally smoke if I’m a tramper as I’m not going to be handing the vehicle over later in the day?

Hmmm, after a second reading I see that it’s from their website, it appears that they’re not actually quoting a written law.

del949:

Also excluded is the Palace of Westminster, the MP’s made sure that they wouldn’t be affected at work.

That’s because there’s never any work done there? :stuck_out_tongue:

Reality check …

Isnt the fact that company policies will affect those smoking in vehicles loads more than any council bod ?

SHYTOT:

Thats actually quite funny.

Saaamon:

SHYTOT:

Thats actually quite funny.

I think it’s pathetic, do they dismiss a driver who does 45 on a s/c or who does a few minutes over his time to get the truck back to base? I doubt it :unamused:

I was really referring to SHYTOT’s first line