Smoking in the cab

Is there any danger of anybody actually answering the OP’s question■■? Flamin eck!!! :unamused:

When I was working for Brakes food service was in Wolverhampton on my usual round,work had a letter from the council informing them I had been seen smoking in the cab whilst driving(which I used to do so fair do’s)
Work said its a case of Gross Misconduct and will have a meeting a week later and could lose my job as a result.
My argument was where’s the pics or video of said offence they can prove it if that’s the case,but as luck would have it one of my pubs I delivered to I got on well with the couple who ran it,told them what went on and she knew the council leader very well and was seeing him that night gave her the paperwork.
2 days later work had a letter saying the council had been “Mistaken” happy days all went away (bought the woman who ran the pub a large bunch of flowers after ).
But just goes to show what could have happened tho.

Supatramp:
Is there any danger of anybody actually answering the OP’s question■■? Flamin eck!!! :unamused:

Don’t be daft this is trucknet :laughing:

nurglets:
Everyone knows its illegal, fines, etc, yet you will always see lorry drivers heading down the road window open ■■■ in hand or at night the flash of a cig hitting the road if your behind someone who’s chucked it out the window.

I’m not having a rant, I used to smoke so if I get in a cab that someone’s smoked in I’ll febreeze it and give them a ribbing next time I see them about them smelling like an ashtray, but I wondered if anyone actually knew of someone who had ever been done for smoking in their lorry, ie their place of work? I’ve never heard it actually happen.

My boss got a letter from her majesty’s traffic warden division that i had been spotted smoking in my cab in Edinburgh city centre so i was told lol. But no fine etc , a waste of paper and a stamp . But jobsworth got to write a note on his or her pad and i got a get of jail free card so happy days ! . Dont smoke any more but vape like a mf now , dont know what rules are on this but nothing on my windows to say i cant …

I smoke in the truck and the gaffer knows it but I do keep my truck nice and clean with an air freshener present all the time so he doesn’t mind… Only problem Iv had is someone ring up my work to say I was smoking and it was illegal :slight_smile:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Victa1:
Dont smoke any more but vape like a mf now , dont know what rules are on this…

There currently are none apart from individual company policies - yet. It is my opinion that the extremist vaporists have made so much noise about the TPD and so on that the issue has become personal, from “we’re a bit concerned about this” to “I’m going to nail those sodding vapers!” so even asking the damned question gives the impression that they’re missing a trick and should regulate it. Say nowt, vape on.

We’re told that we aren’t allowed to smoke in the trucks but either the TM doesn’t know or doesn’t care. Its painfully obvious to a non-smoker if someone smokes in the cab. Even if the driver doesn’t actually smoke in the cab but outside it you can still smell it.

I have my own but would refuse to drive a truck given to me by a co. if it had been smoked/eaten in. No need for either, if you want to eat/smoke do it in your break outside the cab. Often wonder how some drivers live at home when the inside of their cab is a ■■■■■■■■■

Is it me, or are EX smokers normally more opinionated on this topic than those that have never smoked?

Radar19:
Its painfully obvious to a non-smoker if someone smokes in the cab. Even if the driver doesn’t actually smoke in the cab but outside it you can still smell it.

Maybe if the driver smokes outside the cab you can still smell it the following day (although I seriously doubt it, I think you probably just have an over-excited imagination).

In any event the legislation was brought in to prevent medical damage from passive smoke inhalation, not to pander to precious people who object to folk who have different habits to theirs.

Never mind this smoking lark, the OP mentioned seeing truck drivers driving at NIGHT!!

I always thought this to be a myth. Do people really do this in 2016, drive after 7pm? Night time is for sleeping.

Harry Monk:

Radar19:
Its painfully obvious to a non-smoker if someone smokes in the cab. Even if the driver doesn’t actually smoke in the cab but outside it you can still smell it.

Maybe if the driver smokes outside the cab you can still smell it the following day (although I seriously doubt it, I think you probably just have an over-excited imagination).

In any event the legislation was brought in to prevent medical damage from passive smoke inhalation, not to pander to precious people who object to folk who have different habits to theirs.

People smoking doesn’t bother me, I’ve lived with smokers at uni so I’m maybe more “attuned” to the smell. As a non-smoker you can tell when someone who is has driven the truck before you is a smoker.

Don’t give a ■■■■ if drivers smoke in their cabs, but do if they smoke in MINE. :bulb:

Or for the benefit of the non trampers or pedantic (or pedantic non trampers :smiley: ) the FIRMS that I drive and live in. . :wink:

To answer the o/p, I have never heard anybody getting done for it, but my mate, who is agency day man was reported for it by a member of public, he got a verbal and that was it.

AndrewG:
I have my own but would refuse to drive a truck given to me by a co. if it had been smoked/eaten in. No need for either, if you want to eat/smoke do it in your break outside the cab. Often wonder how some drivers live at home when the inside of their cab is a [zb].

I can understand you saying that if someone’s smoked in it but eaten in it!! I think you need to get a life mate. In all the years I’ve been involved with trucks I’ve never heard anyone refuse to drive a truck because someone’s had a sandwich in it before them. I’ll have to remind myself to ask the next person I interview that question. Do you mind driving a truck somebody’s had a ham sandwich in. Ha ha if some people have nothing to moan about they have to find something otherwise they’re simply not happy!

Coolrider:

AndrewG:
I have my own but would refuse to drive a truck given to me by a co. if it had been smoked/eaten in. No need for either, if you want to eat/smoke do it in your break outside the cab. Often wonder how some drivers live at home when the inside of their cab is a [zb].

I can understand you saying that if someone’s smoked in it but eaten in it!! I think you need to get a life mate. In all the years I’ve been involved with trucks I’ve never heard anyone refuse to drive a truck because someone’s had a sandwich in it before them.

It is a strange thing to say, isn’t it?

Coolrider:
Do you mind driving a truck somebody’s had a ham sandwich in.

Maybe not, but might think twice if it was a ham shank. :smiley:

AndrewG:
if it had been smoked/eaten in. No need for either, Often wonder how some drivers live at home when the inside of their cab is a [zb].

Do you eat outside at home then :unamused:

robroy:

Coolrider:
Do you mind driving a truck somebody’s had a ham sandwich in.

Maybe not, but might think twice if it was a ham shank. :smiley:

I live in perpetual fear of a uv light inspection of my company vehicle.

Do have a sneaky puff out the window though when parked up for the evening.

Dipper_Dave:
Do have a sneaky puff out the window though when parked up for the evening.

Easier for him now it’s warmer nights though eh :wink:

I spend most of my working life in my truck, and I don’t ever smoke in bed. I don’t do it st home so I wouldn’t do it in my cab. We’ve had a notice at work recently reminding us that the units are non smoking vehicles :unamused:
I used to share a unit with my dad, he did nights I did days and I smoke like a trooper, however even his non smoking nostrils could never tell I’d smoked one ■■■ in our truck.
All this ‘I can smell smoke in a cab’ is ■■■■■■■■ to a point, if like me the driver cleans up end of every shift and I do that now even though I tramp mon to fri there shouldn’t be a problem. I’d invite anyone into my cab and unless you saw me smoking you’d have absolutely no idea and that’s a fact :sunglasses: I also never smoke in a non smokers vehicle because it’s rude.