Smoking in the cab

Everyone knows its illegal, fines, etc, yet you will always see lorry drivers heading down the road window open ■■■ in hand or at night the flash of a cig hitting the road if your behind someone who’s chucked it out the window.

I’m not having a rant, I used to smoke so if I get in a cab that someone’s smoked in I’ll febreeze it and give them a ribbing next time I see them about them smelling like an ashtray, but I wondered if anyone actually knew of someone who had ever been done for smoking in their lorry, ie their place of work? I’ve never heard it actually happen.

I think Harry Monk had some bother once but as he’s an owner driver and nobody else has access to his truck then it’s perfectly legal for him to do.
I don’t think the police are bothered about it and because it’s classed as smoking in the workplace it’s actually the council that enforce it same as they would for any factory/office/shop.

Since prisoners are allowed to smoke in their cells (it’s classed as their residence even though it’s other people’s workplace), shouldn’t the same apply to truckers who tramp? They’re simply smoking in their weekday residence.

Seeing as it’s an easy thing to target and make money out of, I’d have thought they’d be all over it like they do with speed cameras, much more efficient at filling quotas and funding the Christmas parties than actually doing real work.

This thread will no doubt go the same was as all the other “smoking in cabs” threads (you did do a search didn’t you?).

Where the smoking & non smoking people will express their opinions for & against.
Then the vaping gang will step in with the alternative arguement.
Then it will degenerate into a boring slanging match.

Welcome to Friday … & Just another TNUK thread

to me its up to them if they want to smoke I don’t care - I have and always will refuse to drive a truck stinking of smoke (even before it was made illegal), I have almost come to blows with drivers over it leave the window open a fraction, spray at the end or whilst dekitting open both windows. I did find it was when it was colder I got more that stank than didn’t.

its the same principle as the scruffy ■■■■■■■ who leave ■■■■ and crumbs all over and expect you to clean it before setting off, I always have carried cleaning stuff (both full time and agency) and leave the truck as I find it - if its a ■■■■ pit when I get in its left the same (other than the area I use).

if its clean it would get a polish and brush out at the end of the shift.

peirre:
This thread will no doubt go the same was as all the other “smoking in cabs” threads (you did do a search didn’t you?).

Where the smoking & non smoking people will express their opinions for & against.
Then it will degenerate into a boring slanging match.

Welcome to Friday … & Just another TNUK thread

Like I said, I’m not asking if people are for or against it, rather that if anyone had ever known anyone who’d been caught in the act and fined. Could always ignore the thread and not spend the effort replying if it’s annoying/repetitive, but then I guess it’s no fun not having a wind up.

peirre:

Some of us, maybe. The “holier than thou” mob have alienated almost everyone, almost as much as the rabid anti-smokers did back in the day, and the politics and flag-waving have become rather tedious.

The whole thing is personal choice. The law says you may smoke in a working vehicle that only you have access to. Whether that is within your company’s policies or not is for your own conscience and, on balance, I’d side with the driver. Nicotine aids concentration. believe it or not. Of course, dropping a lit tab onto your nads certainly does not improve concentration but, by the same token, dropping a DNA40 mod with a Kayfun on it won’t do your plums or driving ability much good either.

Anyone vapers notice how e-cigs cause a film on the windscreen, even with the window open (Or is it just me with my cloud machine?).

Always find myself cleaning windows after a night shift because the windscreen is misty

SEDriver:
Anyone vapers notice how e-cigs cause a film on the windscreen, even with the window open (Or is it just me with my cloud machine?).

Always find myself cleaning windows after a night shift because the windscreen is misty

Glycerol. Cut down the VG ratio a bit. Sticks like excrement to bedclothes.

:laughing: I’ll try not to mention RiP…

ChronosUK:

SEDriver:

That explains it, I’ve been mixing 70/30 VG/PG

I was told it produced bigger “Clouds” :smiley:

The police don’t carry out enforcement for smoking it’s local authorities that are supposed to enforce it. Personally with everything going on in the world today I think there are far more things to worry about than a truck driver having a ■■■ in his or her cab!

Try using 90/10 can’t see sometimes lol :grimacing:

SEDriver:

Never mind the cab, I would imagine that many vapers are ex smokers or smokers trying to quit so what do companies do? Force them to vape only in allocated areas which (by my observations) is invariably the smoking area :unamused:

scanny77:
Never mind the cab, I would imagine that many vapers are ex smokers or smokers trying to quit so what do companies do? Force them to vape only in allocated areas which (by my observations) is invariably the smoking area :unamused:

This is against the Health and Safety regs I believe. Its the same as telling any non smoker to have a break in the enclosed smoking area.

Coolrider:
The police don’t carry out enforcement for smoking it’s local authorities that are supposed to enforce it. Personally with everything going on in the world today I think there are far more things to worry about than a truck driver having a ■■■ in his or her cab!

“Get pulled over, sir/madam you was smoking in your truck!”
“Right?”
“it’s illegal”
“Oh, do you like to eat?”
“erm yeah”
“Find a new driver to move this dumped truck that is full of food, heading to your local supermarket!”

How I always imagine a conversation would go if I got pulled over having a smoke whilst driving. I think it’s stupid, I use the same truck each day, don’t share it with anyone other then an agency driver if i’m of sick/holiday. But I won’t smoke in the car with the little one, never have done never will do.

And the fact it’s the same case, the police can’t enforce it, yet the HSE or who ever the ■■■■ it is that can can’t stop you to enforce it.

tommymanc:

Coolrider:

“Get pulled over, sir/madam you was smoking in your truck!”
“Right?”
“it’s illegal”
“Oh, do you like to eat?”
“erm yeah”
“Find a new driver to move this dumped truck that is full of food, heading to your local supermarket!”

How I always imagine a conversation would go if I got pulled over having a smoke whilst driving. I think it’s stupid, I use the same truck each day, don’t share it with anyone other then an agency driver if i’m of sick/holiday. But I won’t smoke in the car with the little one, never have done never will do.

And the fact it’s the same case, the police can’t enforce it, yet the HSE or who ever the [zb] it is that can can’t stop you to enforce it.

So you would act like a ■■■■ then.So you dont want your kid exposed to your smoke but your happy to do it in a company truck were other may have to use it.

Would any of you smokers just light up in someone else’s front room? Or would you ask first or just go outside? Why treat a lorry any different? It’s not yours, unless you’re an od of course, and other people will need to get in it from time to time. I used to be quite live and let live about the issue, until I had a week away in a 2 month old lorry that was so bad, I developed sinusitis. Long painful headaches that last weeks on end. Show some consideration

SEDriver:

ChronosUK:

SEDriver:

I was getting that, I was vaping some homebrew (also on my cloud machine), and especially at night when all the doors and windows are closed and I’m in my bunk the film would be really bad the next morning, daily window cleans, but I’ve recently switched to a 50/50 homebrew and thinking about it haven’t had to clean my windows since.