Smoking ban - How r u getting on?

Coffeeholic:
I see this has the potential for earning easy money.

Agency driver, i.e. me, turns up for work and is given a vehicle.

Agency driver returns to transport office after checking over the vehicle.

Sorry, can’t drive that someone has been smoking in it and it stinks. You’ll have to give me another truck.

We haven’t got another truck spare.

Well you will need to give that one a full valet then to remove the smell.

We can’t do that right now.

OK, I can’t drive the one you have given me as it would contravene the recently introduced smoking ban. I’ll have to go home. Bye.

Wasn’t my fault they didn’t have a truck for me so 8 hours money for 10 minutes ‘work’.

Sorted.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

However, I likely wouldn’t do that unless I felt like the day off or didn’t fancy the run they had given me.

Absolutly ruddy priceless m8 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Will keep that one on the backburner for future use definatly

Neil yet again youve delivered the goods…Nice one :sunglasses:

Good luck to everyone who is giving up. :sunglasses: They say it’s harder than kicking “H” :stuck_out_tongue:

Longwayround:
They say it’s harder than kicking “H” :stuck_out_tongue:

If you mean that bloke who used to be in that pop group doesn’t he deserve a good kicking? :wink: :smiley:

Good luck to anyone thats giving up i had to for the sake of living a bit longer
anywher this is my oppinion on the matter :confused:
I know a lot of ex smokers are more anti than those who have never smoked but to me it is everyman to his own and i would never condone or complain to anyone for smoking in my company as long as i can be near a window to get fresh air and have my inhalor handy but it is nice now to be able to go out for a pint and into the cafes in scotland now and cant wait until july when the ban arrives in England and the smoking is banned as i have cronic lung desease caused by thirty years of smoking so i am looking forward to july when i can go anywhere for food or drink though france is still a smoky zone and i struggle there but at least now all the ferries are now now non smoking

Dave Shimeld:
Like a pratt, I agreed to spend a weekend in North Wales over Easter. :angry:
I’ve never seen so many empty pubs, and it’s just a good job the weather was good, as the beer gardens were packed to capacity!

I’m just back from Scotland (about 6 or 7th time i’ve been since their smoking ban) and I don’t agree [that pubs were empty]. The landlord has said it has made no real difference, if anything a few more people come into his bar now. Drinking in a smoke-free environment has (somehow) managed to reduce the severity of my hangovers!!

scanny77:
im still ignoring it as do most drivers up here from what i have seen. quite right too. what a load of nonsense

Now i’m in shock!! ‘Rule-book Richie’ . . . . . . breaking the rules??!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

It’s not ‘nonsense’ to everyone . . . . .

jammymutt:
Its great wherever I go now I wont have to inhale other people second hand smoke and smell their disguting habit when i walk past places.

Agreed!! Lots!!

Coffeeholic:
I see this has the potential for earning easy money.

Agency driver, i.e. me, turns up for work and is given a vehicle.

Agency driver returns to transport office after checking over the vehicle.

Sorry, can’t drive that someone has been smoking in it and it stinks. You’ll have to give me another truck.

We haven’t got another truck spare.

Well you will need to give that one a full valet then to remove the smell.

We can’t do that right now.

OK, I can’t drive the one you have given me as it would contravene the recently introduced smoking ban. I’ll have to go home. Bye.

Wasn’t my fault they didn’t have a truck for me so 8 hours money for 10 minutes ‘work’.

Sorted.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

However, I likely wouldn’t do that unless I felt like the day off or didn’t fancy the run they had given me.

Excellent idea - can’t be too far removed from a distinct possibility.

Coffeeholic:

Longwayround:
They say it’s harder than kicking “H” :stuck_out_tongue:

If you mean that bloke who used to be in that pop group doesn’t he deserve a good kicking? :wink: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: You must be referring to H from ‘S[zb]t Club 7’!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck to all those who are trying to escape from the pull of the evil-weed!!!

H was in Steps not S club
:blush: in my defense I have had to listen to all that rubbish coming from my daughters bedroom!
she would say that Rainbow, Hawkwind, Stray, Motorhead, ELP etc, etc was the rubbish she has ha to endure.

Tramper the ‘girlie music’ fan:
H was in Steps not S club

When I went ‘fishing’ I didn’t expect to catch you!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BTW, it was my 10 year old daughter that told me who ‘H’ was!! :wink: :wink:

Whilst I haven’t looked at the English (or Welsh) wording of the Regulations, when I looked at the Scottish Regs, I came to the conclusion that it was effectively unenforceable (in legal terms) in relation to a vehicle, inasmuch as the legislation referred to a ‘building’. A truck is not a ‘building’, in the same way that under the Theft Act 1968, in the section on Burglary, a caravan (or a houseboat) is not deemed to be a ‘Dwelling’.

Whilst I am sure that many, if not all, companies will use this as an opportunity to ban smoking in all vehicles, where the vehicle falls within the realms of also being their ‘sleeping area’, then that creates greater uncertainty.

We have already had a contribution for an Eire member who effectively stated that, if you are using a ‘sleeper cab’, no one is interested.

Whilst I’m not exactly looking forward to it. I’m not exactly ‘dreading it’. The problem I have is that we have ‘timed deliveries’ that invariably leave late. Therefore, the option of stopping for ten minutes every couple of hours goes out of the window. :unamused:

I’ve even had a phone call enquiring as to whether I’d make the ‘booking in’ time or not, at a point when I’d had to respond that the answer would depend upon whether the traffic lights were on red or green when I left the Motorway.

(They were on green. I was within the time ‘window’. - just.)

If Companies are expecting drivers to amend their habits to only smoke outside of their vehicles, then they need to look at their own internal practices to ensure that such opportunities are provided, if only for the short term.

Krankee:
Whilst I haven’t looked at the English (or Welsh) wording of the Regulations, when I looked at the Scottish Regs, I came to the conclusion that it was effectively unenforceable (in legal terms) in relation to a vehicle, inasmuch as the legislation referred to a ‘building’. A truck is not a ‘building’, in the same way that under the Theft Act 1968, in the section on Burglary, a caravan (or a houseboat) is not deemed to be a ‘Dwelling’.

Whilst I am sure that many, if not all, companies will use this as an opportunity to ban smoking in all vehicles, where the vehicle falls within the realms of also being their ‘sleeping area’, then that creates greater uncertainty.

We have already had a contribution for an Eire member who effectively stated that, if you are using a ‘sleeper cab’, no one is interested.

Vehicles

The smoke-free legislation covers vehicles which are used to transport
the public or which are used by more than one employee in carrying out
work duties — even if this use is at different times or only intermittently.
However, private vehicles (i.e. vehicles which are used primarily for
private purposes by persons who own them or have a right to use them
in an unrestricted way) are not required to be smoke-free.

‘No Smoking’ signage for vehicles

You are also required by law to display ‘No Smoking’ signs in any vehicles
covered by the legislation (enclosed vehicles used to transport the public
or used by more than one employee for carrying out work duties).
You will be required to display a ‘No Smoking’ sign in a prominent
position in each compartment of the vehicle which is wholly or partly
covered by a roof, including the driver’s compartment. As most public
transport vehicles are already smoke-free, signage requirements have
been kept to a minimum in order to avoid unnecessary duplication.
A ‘No Smoking’ sign in a vehicle must:

• Display the international ‘No Smoking’ symbol in red, at least
    75mm in diameter.
    There are no requirements relating to the overall size or wording
    of the notice.

And last but not least…

Vehicles

1. A vehicle must be smoke free at all times if it is used for:

· The transport of the public or section of the public whether or not for reward or hire.

· For work by more than one person (even if persons work at different times or intermittently) e.g. HGV, delivery van, farm vehicle.

1. At least one no-smoking sign should be displayed in a prominent place visible to a person entering the vehicle. Signage requirements to be issued but should display international “no smoking” symbol (graphic representation of a burning cigarette enclosed in a red circle with a red bar across it) and be at least 75mm in diameter.

2. It will be the duty of the operator, driver or any person on the vehicle responsible for public order or safety on the vehicle to prevent smoking in a smoke free vehicle.

Not overly crystal clear i know but whats new there :unamused:

It was worded better on a poster i saw the other night at work…

Basically if that vehicle has the remotest possibility that someone else is going to drive it (which lets face it most of our vehicles do)…ie a night driver/agency driver or even the fitter … the vehicle comes within the ban …Even owner drivers would be subject to the ban if they had a relief driver say covering for him during holidays or weekends.

But if you can prove beyond any doubt that “no one” else will drive your work vehicle then you can chug away to your hearts content :smiley:

info gathered from…

The notice board in Rhys Davies’s drivers rest room
here http://www.smokingbanwales.co.uk/english/
and here http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/agendas/eng/SJSC20070307/REP04_01.HTM

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Good luck to anyone thats giving up i had to for the sake of living a bit longer
anywher this is my oppinion on the matter :confused:
I know a lot of ex smokers are more anti than those who have never smoked but to me it is everyman to his own and i would never condone or complain to anyone for smoking in my company as long as i can be near a window to get fresh air and have my inhalor handy but it is nice now to be able to go out for a pint and into the cafes in scotland now and cant wait until july when the ban arrives in England and the smoking is banned as i have cronic lung desease caused by thirty years of smoking so i am looking forward to july when i can go anywhere for food or drink though france is still a smoky zone and i struggle there but at least now all the ferries are now now non smoking

Having smoked on and off for around 40 years ( I gave up last time 6 years ago and haven’t smoked since but do still sometimes think " wish I could just have a ■■■ " but know I can’t ) I have to say that anyone who thinks they are an ex-smoker is deluding themselves. It’s like saying you are an ex-alcoholic, there ain’t no such beast, once a smoker always a smoker and if you have smoked then there is a point at which you will pick up a ■■■ and smoke it, if you are lucky you will never reach that point but if you go through a traumatic experience like a divorce, a bereavement or redundancy or many other similar experiences there is always the possibility that you will turn to the ■■■ just as some people turn to drink and others turn to comfort eating. I sometimes find that a minute or two in a smokey environment can satisfy your craving for the nicotine and re-inforce your determination to stay off the weed.

I stopped a couple of months ago and have been tempted to have one especially when having a drink, but I thought its been hard getting this far Y undo all the hard work ? Craving soon went as after me 15th pint, jaysus I could hardly stand let alone smoke :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So i think its a good idea the ban coming into force, and once you do stop you do realise just what a waste of money it really is and how much you smelt, like an ash tray full of woodies

sometimes find that a minute or two in a smokey environment can satisfy your craving for the nicotine and re-inforce your determination to stay off the weed.

That normally does it for me too :smiley:

Well i thought id give myself a bit of a test last night…I dont drink very often at all but when i did i smoked like a ruddy trooper…

So last night i cracked open a few stubbies and didnt even think about smoking :smiley: :smiley: …Well happy!!

Over a week now and still going well… :smiley:

Gud on yer reef , keep it up, Im into my 8th week now, just had enuff of them, feelin like crap in the morning before i had that first smoke to bring me back so threw half the packet into the bin.

My sense of smell is coming back, I am not snoring much which is pleasing my missus no end, Im not as blocked anymore and I haven got a chesty cough!!! and im at least £30 a week better off.

If the urge comes over yer just resist temptation, it will pass and think you have gone this far so Y undo it all!! Just keep tellin yerself yer not smokin anymore, you have done it for long enuff, time to give the old lungs a break.

If it gets bad then try a patch now and then that does help

Gluck to yer

I welcome the new laws.

The more socially unacceptable smoking can be made the better.

I’ve had 2 serious attempts at giving it up but at the 12 week mark it hits me like a tidal wave.

Good luck to those giving it go!

I only smoke at the pub .I don’t smoke at home and i don’t smoke at work .I go to the pub on friday afternoon and on saturday afternoon .I’ll take 10 Marlboro lights with me and happily sit there chuffing away .
When the ban comes in the weather will probably be that nice i’ll be sat outside anyway .It will be in the winter i will probably not smoke at all .

I packed in 2 yrs ago for about 8 months and foolishly took one of my brother whilst havin several beers. I then wanted another and gradually several weeks later after tellin myself I will only just smoke when I drink, i was back on them!!

Each to their own and Good Paul if you can keep it like that .

Unfortunately I cant seem to, just keepin it to the pub and drinkin so they r out all together.

marcustandy:

scanny77:
im still ignoring it as do most drivers up here from what i have seen. quite right too. what a load of nonsense

Now i’m in shock!! ‘Rule-book Richie’ . . . . . . breaking the rules??!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

i know the rules so i know when i am breaking them :wink:

i dont run bent though. driving, breaks etc are all legal and above board but the silly ones like not smoking at work are there to be broken. if they want us to abide by silly rules, they should make them sensible :laughing:

As a dedicated smoker in what I thought was a free world a few comments.

The first problem is that the regulations differ in each country - a pub in England is having a bus converted as a legal smoking area, but in Wales this would not be legal. However, at my local we have discussed the fact that I could park my (hypothetical) caravan in the car park and could smoke in there all I want. £20 each from 30 smokers and we could get an old van parked up there!

What annoys me about pubs is that they cannot even have a seperate air-tight room for smokers - I respect the rights of non-smokers to clean air, but this is going a bit too far.

As regards the lorry - I share with a day driver, also a smoker, so we don’t have a problem. Out of respect for other drivers who may enter my cab I have always driven the last 2 miles home with all the windows wide open, and have been assured that nobody can smell smoke at all. In fact, the other night driver does the same, and his “day driver”, a non-smoker, was shocked to discover that he smoked at all.

How exactly is it going to be policed anyway. The police and VOSA are apparently not really interested, and they are the only people with authority to stop you (except lollypop ladies!). If seen with a ■■■, how can they prove it was lit? Will foresnics search the cab for traces of ■■■-ash? Drug tests for nicotine? In cab cameras? (I don’t want the boss to watch me picking my nose or scratching my balls!) When I am on a break with the curtains drawn, does anyone have the right to enter my cab without a warrent? I can see it now - VOSA check - “you’ve got a marker light out, 2Kg overweight on the drive axle and we can smell smoke. TC’s office now drive!”

If my smoke doesn’t affect anyone else why the hell should I be banned? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

gave up smoking at christmas and not touched one since.have had no craving to start back,never bothers me when in the pub.keep asking the question why the bloody hell did i smoke at all.