Smoking ban - How r u getting on?

Well as you probably know the smoking in a workplace ban came in to force this month in Wales and will be in England by July , And of course its already in place in Scotland.

How has it affected you? Do you comply or ignore
What about the company you work for have they got there ■■■ into gear or are they ignoring it?
Owner drivers where do they stand?

As im now an agency driver i just didnt like the thought of asking the client “where can i smoke?” So i thought to hell with it and packed up smoking 5 days ago…And to be honest i thought it would be hell but its been pretty good so far…No major cravings at all which really surprised me seeing as ive smoked for 25 yrs … My lungs felt like they were on fire for the 1st couple of days though …(is that normal?) So anyway hopefully now i’ll save myself a few quid, live a bit longer, and smell a bit better too :stuck_out_tongue:

If you have genuinely not smoked a cigarette for five days then you have broken the back of it and it will become easier every day. I packed up three years ago and I do sometimes crave a ■■■ but the feeling goes away after a minute, if that.

Having said that, I don’t care if other people smoke.

Like a pratt, I agreed to spend a weekend in North Wales over Easter. :angry:

I’ve never seen so many empty pubs, and it’s just a good job the weather was good, as the beer gardens were packed to capacity!

Harry Monk:
If you have genuinely not smoked a cigarette for five days then you have broken the back of it and it will become easier every day. I packed up three years ago and I do sometimes crave a ■■■ but the feeling goes away after a minute, if that.

Having said that, I don’t care if other people smoke.

Yep genuinely not touched one so if i have broken the back of it then im a very happy chappy

Dave Shimeld:
Like a pratt, I agreed to spend a weekend in North Wales !

ooh if i had a pound every time ive heard or said that

Reef:
Yep genuinely not touched one so if i have broken the back of it then im a very happy chappy

First three days are the worst- headaches, very bad cravings, ■■■■■■■ all the time.

After a week, if you go back then you are Some Sad Sack- because you had defeated it.

After a fortnight, it’s Job Done.

Although you will never completely get over the occasional desire to smoke a ■■■.

Still, it’s a 2 Grand rise in income we’re talking about here and that ain’t to be sniffed at.

im still ignoring it as do most drivers up here from what i have seen. quite right too. what a load of nonsense

stoped for 3 mths :imp: :imp: :imp: , it gets worse not better,so i said sod it give me a cig :blush: , not strong enough i guess, smoking ban, what is this all about ok its a stinky dirty killing habit, be each to there own,

I’m a non-smoker but the other lads at our place are largely ignoring it. :laughing:

We have bloody great no smoking stickers in the trucks now. They even tell you who to grass people up to if you observe someone smoking in a DHL truck! :open_mouth:

I think that we are going to have a purge on it very soon and I think it’ll be curtains for anyone caught. :confused:

Whilst at work the other night i was told my unit wasn’t back yet so go have a coffee in the drivers room …on the notice board they had all the gumpf up about the new rules and also where they stood as a company…i think they say they will fine drivers £50 if caught…

Here you go just found this…

Failure to comply with the law will be a criminal offence, as set out in the
Health Act 2006. Penalities and fines are being set in regulations to be
made by the Department of Health:
— Individuals may be liable to a fixed penalty of £50 for smoking in
smoke-free premises. In cases of prosecution and conviction, the
maximum fine is £200.
— The manager or person in control of any smoke-free premises could be
fined a fixed penalty of £200 for failing to display ‘No Smoking’ signs.
In cases of prosecution and conviction, the maximum fine is £1,000.
— The manager or person in control of any smoke-free premises could
be fined up to £2,500 for failing to prevent others from smoking in
those premises.

So it looks like theyve got to fine you…

info taken from http://www.smokingbanwales.co.uk

Its great wherever I go now I wont have to inhale other people second hand smoke and smell their disguting habit when i walk past places.

It will give me the incentive I need to give up when it comes into force in England.

I quite like a drink at the weekend :wink: & I also like a smoke with my pint, so the options are…

Stop going to the pub (unlikely) & drink/smoke at home.
Stand outside the pub with the other lepers when I want a smoke (NO way)
Give up smoking & save money etc

Option 3 for me!

msa truck parks are going to be full of drivers smoking. the notice on our board says you have to stop the vehicle and get out if you want a ciggie.surely though carparks and streets and beer gardens are all public places.

im failing to see the diffrence :unamused:

jon non smoker

So far we’re giving it lip service but nothing more - we have the stickers in the trucks, and have had since the Scottish ban came in as we do so much work up there, but that’s about as far as it goes. Don’t know what’s going to happen when the English ban bites, though.

There was a quick check the other week to make sure all the motors had stickers. Mine vanished along with my height marker sticker (now replaced and on an interior wall) when my windscreen had a slight arguement with a jar of coffee when the cab was tilted for service…ahem… :blush: …But it was whilst I was in the midst of arguing this point that our FM observed it was all the smokers’ wagons which had met with “plausible accidents”…We have no stickers left to replace them with, and no sign of any more arriving as yet. Unless you count the one stuck up in the kitchen with the most notorious chain smoker’s name on it in the box where it tells you who to contact… :stuck_out_tongue:

In practical terms, our lot are fairly sensible about things. We have a couple of night drivers who both smoke and who drive whatever is in the yard that night, but they don’t smoke in non-smokers wagons - and the FM always tries to send them out in a “smoking truck” if he can. Certainly if they are in on a Friday or if weekend cover’s being planned, they get given smoking trucks, which is why mine is one of the ones which often gets used.

I’d love to give up, and keep trying and trying to no avail as yet. This isn’t helped by the fact that I’ve had to basically give up drinking for medical reasons, so I guess I’m pushing it to quit both at once. The time will be right at some point, I have no doubt, and I’ll keep plugging away at it…But in the meantime, if you get on the top (or in my case, only) bunk whilst you’re tipping and open the sunroof, no-one can tell anyway… :smiling_imp:

jonboy:
msa truck parks are going to be full of drivers smoking. the notice on our board says you have to stop the vehicle and get out if you want a ciggie.surely though carparks and streets and beer gardens are all public places.

im failing to see the diffrence :unamused:

jon non smoker

Totally agree, if I were a non smoker I would be none too happy walking past a crowd of smokers stood at the door of the local… or sitting outside next to someone smoking.

It’s a half assed solution by a government wanting to be seen to be doing something yet also wanting to protect the £10 billion it receives from tobacco tax each year…

If enough smokers decide to give up due to this legislation it will be interesting to see where the fall in tax income will be made up.

Edit:
Smoking & related diseases are estimated to cost the NHS around £1.7 billion per year ( the government is still in profit then)

Alcohol related diseases are estimated to cost the NHS around £1.7 billion per year. The annual cost of alcohol-related crime and public disorder has been estimated at £7.3bn, the cost to employers has been put at £6.4bn.

Alcohol next??

:unamused: Just give it up. Its no good for you, no good for everyone else, costs a fortune, smells, is a real fire hazzard.
I used to smoke, I gave it up 11 years ago when my daughter was born, because I felt it would be selfish and unfair to her. I found that it gets no easier with time, I could light up this minute, but I now have a habit of not smoking .

I see this has the potential for earning easy money.

Agency driver, i.e. me, turns up for work and is given a vehicle.

Agency driver returns to transport office after checking over the vehicle.

Sorry, can’t drive that someone has been smoking in it and it stinks. You’ll have to give me another truck.

We haven’t got another truck spare.

Well you will need to give that one a full valet then to remove the smell.

We can’t do that right now.

OK, I can’t drive the one you have given me as it would contravene the recently introduced smoking ban. I’ll have to go home. Bye.

Wasn’t my fault they didn’t have a truck for me so 8 hours money for 10 minutes ‘work’.

Sorted.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

However, I likely wouldn’t do that unless I felt like the day off or didn’t fancy the run they had given me.

:laughing: I’m pretty sure that theres only you would see it that way :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’d decided I’d give up smoking on July 1st, when these new laws come in. To be honest I haven’t enjoyed smoking for quite a while now, so I really wanted an incentive and I figured I’d found one at last.

Then on March 21st - Budget Day - good old Gordon announced an 11 pence rise on a pack of 20. That was enough for me to decide to bring my quit date forward a little, and I haven’t smoked since then.
The only one I miss , is the ‘after-dinner’ ciggie that I had whilst reading the newspaper. Simple solution to this is, I stopped buying the newspaper too. Thats broken that habit.
I actually feel a whole lot better for not smoking, and after just over 3 weeks I still aint killed anybody !!!
Just to make it easier for me I’ve had the inside of my truck valeted, including the upholstery, which has made it smell a bit sweeter. Strange as it may seem, I didn’t like the smell of cigarettes, even when I was smoking myself.

I think its too early to say “I’ve given up smoking”, so for now I’ll just say “I’m trying to give it up”