Smiths of Maddiston

Having dealt with Smiths Manchester Manager Harold Gilmore and his wife Jean for many years with there sideline operation Failsworth Haulage ltd I remember him telling me the night trunks from Scotland ran as far as Garstang,so the shunters from Cheetham Hill would do 2 or more? Trailers to Garstang.If anyone knows anything about there trunking operation could they please comment.

Gardner6LYT:
Having dealt with Smiths Manchester Manager Harold Gilmore and his wife Jean for many years with there sideline operation Failsworth Haulage ltd I remember him telling me the night trunks from Scotland ran as far as Garstang,so the shunters from Cheetham Hill would do 2 or more? Trailers to Garstang.If anyone knows anything about there trunking operation could they please comment.

Hi Gardner6LYT,

I drove for SoM Manchester for some 8 years,nights,days,and tramping.
I did a change over with Maddiston drivers at Garstang lay bye 3 times a night,and if the last trailer was loaded with synthetic rubber,I had to take it to the cafe at Market Drayton and fetch an empty trailer back to Manchester,a long night!
Harold was a very fair Manager,Smith’s were the best transport firm I worked for during my driving career.

I remember Failsworth Haulage,Harold started that company at about the same time that Smith’s took over the Reed can transport from Liverpool,I seem to recollect they started with a dark blue ERF?

David

This just popped up on my You Tube suggestions. Put on mute though as the background music is Annoying. A pictorial of Smith’s trucks over the years. Cant see any extra 2 pots sticking out the back of the guys though :smiley: .

youtube.com/watch?v=SaUtuYc4Emk

Trucky Mc truckface:
This just popped up on my You Tube suggestions. Put on mute though as the background music is Annoying. A pictorial of Smith’s trucks over the years. Cant see any extra 2 pots sticking out the back of the guys though :smiley: .

Great pics, love these photos of yesteryear.

Trucky Mc truckface:

Thanks Trucky,enjoyed the selection of Smith’s vehicles,well spotted.

David