Smithfield Market

scottishcruiser:
That Nesbitt unit has some bark off it when fully lit lol… Irish doing the groupage in there, It ever busy with VOSA about there or they not around much?

that ain’t smithfield nesbitt is at. looks more like a cold store out stratford way. only places in london i ever seen vosa was on 406 and out the A2 :smiley:

Used to be in there all the time in the very early 90’s, was all Aberdeen firms at that time, none of them left now:-(

Used to go to smithfield in 60s and 70s.mad house then.best way was to get one of the shunters available from [pool of drivers and get them to unload.cost a fiver but well worth it.every stall was occupied then.all entrances were open to the weather.no closed doors.Sun day was the busiest night.some stalls took delivery at 10pm instead of midnight.

:smiley: hi there brian a,nice to see what you put up about smithfield market in the 60/70s,i used to run into the market nearly everyday of the week,i was driving forA G Maidment out of salisbury FMC abbatior also for johnny burdon down near shaftsbury,marnal i think.i used to deliver to garnahams just off st john street,also dufairs,pratts and many more,its the old grey matter mate,many times met our henry,and his brother brian cooper,used to get a quick beer in with them,think the pub was called the BROWN COW,and you could always get a proper english breakfast in the market,used to use the smithfield cafe,remember molo transpot?them buggers used to block the market some nights,but there was none of this road rage stuff in them days mate was there, everybody used to get on with everyone and help each other to,like yourself i used to use the labour gangs, used to tell the lads where the motor was and then leg it into the cafe or pub before old bill came along.the new smithfield isnt a spot on the old market a mate,no atmosphere,i rekon a lot of the old smithfield schufflers arent with us any more,used to amaze me the loads them porters used to put on them barrows to and then have the strength to pull them around the market,strong old boys,but not good for the heart.take care mate,will keep an eye on this thread. :unamused:

I know, i know, but its the same kinda place isnt it!

bev wyatt:
:smiley: hi there brian a,nice to see what you put up about smithfield market in the 60/70s,i used to run into the market nearly everyday of the week,i was driving forA G Maidment out of salisbury FMC abbatior also for johnny burdon down near shaftsbury,marnal i think.i used to deliver to garnahams just off st john street,also dufairs,pratts and many more,its the old grey matter mate,many times met our henry,and his brother brian cooper,used to get a quick beer in with them,think the pub was called the BROWN COW,and you could always get a proper english breakfast in the market,used to use the smithfield cafe,remember molo transpot?them buggers used to block the market some nights,but there was none of this road rage stuff in them days mate was there, everybody used to get on with everyone and help each other to,like yourself i used to use the labour gangs, used to tell the lads where the motor was and then leg it into the cafe or pub before old bill came along.the new smithfield isnt a spot on the old market a mate,no atmosphere,i rekon a lot of the old smithfield schufflers arent with us any more,used to amaze me the loads them porters used to put on them barrows to and then have the strength to pull them around the market,strong old boys,but not good for the heart.take care mate,will keep an eye on this thread. :unamused:

has anyone on here got any photos of the old smithfield market ie:50/60s would love to see them. :laughing: also any photos of ag maidments trucks from tisbury wiltshire. :unamused:

Heres a few night shots from Smithfield over the last couple of weeks

If im on there next week I will take some more without the glare from the lights hopefully :slight_smile:

some nice trucks in there mate. my mate denzil used to drive the white MRCT Volvo with the blue stripes, pulling for IRF Felixstowe, he allways kept it immaculate.

this might be a bit of a ‘dull’ question but how does this London congestion charge thing work? How much does it cost to take an artic in to Smithfield & how do they collect the cash?

kindle530:
some nice trucks in there mate. my mate denzil used to drive the white MRCT Volvo with the blue stripes, pulling for IRF Felixstowe, he allways kept it immaculate.

its not that good now Kindle…shame coz it is a tidy looking motor

Richardjw1:
this might be a bit of a ‘dull’ question but how does this London congestion charge thing work? How much does it cost to take an artic in to Smithfield & how do they collect the cash?

The congestion charge doesnt start until about 7 am mate so im long gone before it comes into force as Smithfield deliveries go in at night…you pay the charge via text message or cash at certain newsagents i think…never had to worry about it :slight_smile:

blissy some good photos of my old deliivery drops hope you lookin after them all mate :laughing: :laughing:

Good snaps. The only times I used to go thru there at night was when I used it as a short cut taking bank execs home in a flash Merc. But to be honest I look at those snaps & feel glad its all over , hanging around markets waiting to be woken up in the freezing cold.
I had my share ; Basel ,Austria,most of the German ones,including Berlin .Holland .Most of the UK ,All of the London except Smith & Billings.I did both Spits ,Stratford , Boro’ ,both Covents ,Western.Brighton,Sotton Bristol Cardiff Swansea.
Sommmmbody stop me!!!

Nice photos mate. I used to be down there all the time in the 90’s with my dad.

NICE SILVER SCANIA,2nd pic :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I`m down there at least twice a week,love the place :open_mouth:

Only cause it`s mine ha hah :smiley:

Is that Cloburn? How many companies have you worked for. :open_mouth:

Enuff,gotta try all the sweets on the shelf,this is the best,not leavin this one :wink: And ye it is Cloburn :smiley:

I`m down there at least twice a week,love the place ///
Its probably a different kettle of fish in the daytime.

Been there all weekend aswell,still love the place,hate london,butlove goin to smithfield,rest of our drivers hate it so i get it the most :smiley: