Smith of Maddiston

Just thought I would bring this thread back up again with a couple of pics from
transportphotos.com/road/photos taken by Adrian Cypher

CX00157.jpg
CX00322.jpg

spikethedog:
Gardner 8lxb 240
Hi everyone i used to be a fitter for SoM and well remember removing, rebuilding and replacing a gardner 8lxb in a guy big j, this was at Smiths Thornaby depot before they moved to new premises in Portrack lane Stockton on tees.It was a real pain of a job, no tilt cabs in those days.

Do you remember a driver called Doug Bird ■■

Stillight:

spikethedog:
Gardner 8lxb 240
Hi everyone i used to be a fitter for SoM and well remember removing, rebuilding and replacing a gardner 8lxb in a guy big j, this was at Smiths Thornaby depot before they moved to new premises in Portrack lane Stockton on tees.It was a real pain of a job, no tilt cabs in those days.

Also Allister Grant in the t/office,old George on night trunk(scotch) this would be from Portrack,i can’t remember who the depot at Thonaby belonged to before SOM?also the little bloke from Darlington who wore dark glasses all the time.Vic

It is “Hogmanay” so this was probably a ■■■■■■■ 205 or 220, Maddiston would never let a “sassanack” touch an 8LXB---- would they ? Santa.

hiya,
Dennis didn’t the Big J cab tilt, (needed quite a bit of stripping of the running gear), pretty sure I’ve seen one with the cab tilted which would be the norm with major engine surgery or was it a Seddon defo seen one or tother with the shed tipped oer’ having a senior citizen moment here but not too serious to know the power pack was a Roller.
thanks harry long retired.

v7victor:

Stillight:

spikethedog:
Gardner 8lxb 240

Also Allister Grant in the t/office,old George on night trunk(scotch) this would be from Portrack,i can’t remember who the depot at Thonaby belonged to before SOM?also the little bloke from Darlington who wore dark glasses all the time.Vic

Hi All
Smith of Maddiston bought Thornaby depot from HL Walker in the late 50s.

Regards
Paul Bruce

Cheers,Vic.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Dennis didn’t the Big J cab tilt, (needed quite a bit of stripping of the running gear), pretty sure I’ve seen one with the cab tilted which would be the norm with major engine surgery or was it a Seddon defo seen one or tother with the shed tipped oer’ having a senior citizen moment here but not too serious to know the power pack was a Roller.

hiya,
Howay Trev"H" put me out of my misery did it have some sort of tilting mechanism or not, pretty certain it wasn’t the Seddon with the similar shed did drive both, but I am led to believe a lot of bits and bobs had to be removed to tilt the cab of the “J”, C’mon someone knows.

harry_gill:

harry_gill:
hiya,

hiya,
Howay Trev"H" put me out of my misery did it have some sort of tilting mechanism or not, pretty certain it wasn’t the Seddon with the similar shed did drive both, but I am led to believe a lot of bits and bobs had to be removed to tilt the cab of the “J”, C’mon someone knows.

Sorry about not responding to your question “H” but I do believe that the very early Big J’s did have a partial tilt cab,maybe those that had the ■■■■■■■ V6 engine.But from memory the later ones were a fixed cab.No doubt Trev,having been closer to the Guy factory may explain in more detail though.Cheers Dennis.

harry_gill:

harry_gill:
hiya,

hiya,

Somewhere on TNUK is a photograph of a Guy Big J with the cab tilted .
I think it was taken at a C.V. show in the latter days of the Big J production.
Not too sure if the engine was a Gardner 240 though , which MIGHT explain why there
isnt a photo of the last 2 pots protruding from the rear of the upright cab !! O.K. , Dennis . If Ive upset you with the last sentence , then Ill go and stand in the naughty corner ` for 10 minutes !

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Water off a ducks back CWM !!! You’ll be telling me next that Tony’s Guy Otter had an 8LXB and tilt cab !!! Well it would have had if it had been 2x4 LK’s I suppose. Cheers Dennis.PS in this weather I’d make you stand outside 'int garden for 10 minutes !!

Hi Harry, Yes you are right, the very early ones with the V6 ■■■■■■■ tilted, but to be qiute honest after removing all manner of parts to tilt it, you was only a few minutes more taking the cab off entirely which is what we always done.
I think Guys may have foreseen the problems with the V6 which soon got shelved along with the tilt cab!

Off-topic I know, but anyone got views on why V8/10’s were good motors, but V6 diesels were always , umm, raw…?

Endit:
Off-topic I know, but anyone got views on why V8/10’s were good motors, but V6 diesels were always , umm, raw…?

The V8 engine in my Ford D1000 was a cracking motor,never missed a beat,but the V6’s they used in the Dodge was a load of crap and this was the engine that Guy Motors ( by this time Jaguar owned) chose as their preferred engine for the launch of the ubiquitous Big J !! Not for long I understand though ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Endit:

The V8 engine in my Ford D1000 was a cracking motor,never missed a beat,but the V6’s they used in the Dodge was a load of crap and this was the engine that Guy Motors ( by this time Jaguar owned) chose as their preferred engine for the launch of the ubiquitous Big J !! Not for long I understand though ! Cheers Bewick.

Thanks for that, Dennis, but any clue why they were duff? Bad engineering? Poor balance? Any further opinions? ( I like reading your opinions on just about anything!)
E

Endit:

Bewick:

Endit:

Thanks for that, Dennis, but any clue why they were duff? Bad engineering? Poor balance? Any further opinions? ( I like reading your opinions on just about anything!)
E

Talk about “soft soaping” “Endit” !!! You’ve more-or-less hit the nail on the head as IMO the V6 ■■■■■■■ was unbalanced,and what a noisey bloody thing it was too,ranked an equal first with that equally obnoxious Foden 2 stroke engine,and what a load of crap that was too!!.I could never understand how an “ace” engine builder like ■■■■■■■ could build such a load of rubbish as that V6,did them untold damage I re-call. Cheers Dennis.

Sorry, not deliberately soft soaping you, It’s just you appear to have “Been there, done that”!
It’s always a good source of advice to ask someone who knows what they are doing, rather than
someone who hopes he knows what he is doing…
E.

Endit:
Sorry, not deliberately soft soaping you, It’s just you appear to have “Been there, done that”!
It’s always a good source of advice to ask someone who knows what they are doing, rather than
someone who hopes he knows what he is doing…
E.

Don’t take offence mate,it’s just a crack!! Here’s a shot of the ■■■■■■■ engined Ford (my first new motor) I did run a couple of V 8 Perkins engined Mastiffs which did us a good job for what they were.Then I can’t re-call actual numbers but we ran into the teens, I would think, of 180,205 and 220 ■■■■■■■ engined Atki’s/ERF’s/One Cu 220 Seddon 32/4 and one 250■■■■■■■ Sed/Atk.

No offence taken! It’s just I have spent time with people who SHOULD have known what to do when it goes ■■■ shaded,
and they’ve turned to me and said “Well, what do you think…?”
It was usually at this point disillusionment settled down like a London smog, circa 1955…
Rather too often, these blokes were of the “Hit it wi’ a hammer, lad!!” school of preventative maintanance…
Not good…

harry_gill:

harry_gill:
hiya,

hiya,

Harry,

None of the Big J’s,including the 8LXB, that I drove for SoM had tilting cabs,and all major works to the engines,including rebuilding of them were undertaken at which every Depot that particular motor was assigned to,hope this assists.

Rgds,

David :smiley: