Smallest diesel V8?

I know Perkins and ■■■■■■■ made v8 diesels, anyone know the engine sizes? I assumed them to be around 8 litres but have no further info. Did/does anyone make a smaller v8 diesel that you know of?

Thanks

Just copied this from the Feedback Forum as it is relevant to this thread, but did not warrant moving as it is relevant there also.

If I’ve got it wrong, no doubt there will be a smacked hand :blush: :unamused: :laughing: .

Wheelnut:
Just to rejuvenate this thread a bit, I was reading another of Ghinzani’s posts about the V8 and which was the smallest powered enfine fitted.

After a lot of searching around, there is verry little on that type of truck on the internet, Ford D Series and Leyland Mastiffs with a V8 etc.

Sorry can’t help much myself Steve except to make mention of that horrible clatterer they put in Dodges in the 70s.

Salut, David.

In the Seventies I drove Ford and Leyland Mastiff trucks, these had the Perkins V8/510 engines in them. They were 8360cc - the 510 is the displacement in cubic inches.

I did manage to find this about a smaller Perkins V8 that was offered in Dodges - the V8/410, which would have been 6720cc,

click here

The D-Series Fords I drove were units and as far as I can remember had Ford’s own designed cylinder heads on the Perkins block. Perhaps this explains the BHP slight figure differences, 185 bhp for Ford and 179 bhp for the Mastiff.

link tidied up - to fit on one page … Denis F

I remember the 510 bit now, I thought it was 5.1 litre but didnt want to make myself sound foolish :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I remember the 510 bit now, I thought it was 5.1 litre but didnt want to make myself sound foolish :stuck_out_tongue:

perkins standard engine numbering is - {no of cylinders}. {engine capacity in cubic inches}

ie 4.236 is a nice 3.9 litre engine fitted in combines, tractors etc
makes a good conversion for Land Rovers although eventually blows the gearbox, difs and axles

I’ll get my anorak… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

General Motors make a 6.2 litre V8 diesel used in a lot of pickups in the USA.

Paul

A mate of mine had a Cadillac deville with a 350 olds diesel in it!

The Perkins V8 was ok I think, the ■■■■■■■ ran hot as I seem to remember. Dodge fitted a chrysler V8 diesel at one point, but I dont know much about it.

Thanks everyone for the info. Im surprised V8s never took off more, maybe they are too revvy and not torquey enough? But surely they are smoother than the more common straight sixes?

Oh and yes I would like a Range Rover with a V8 diesel!

The V8 fitted by Dodge was built at Darlington as part of a joint manufacturing deal Chrysler did with ■■■■■■■■ They were branded VAL (V6) and VALE (V8). Ford fitted them and GUY did when the Big J range was launched around 66 ,who rated them up to 200bhp. Its reliability was abysmal and by early 69 even Dodge had dropped it with the Perkins V8 being the option in the K1100 model instead. It was rated at 3300 rpm but peak torque came in around 2100rpm and it was suggested it really needed an auto box behind it. which ESSO fitted when they bought a batch.

We had one in E reg Ford yard shunter ,it certainly had rapid acceleration.

Thanks for that interesting bit of info Boden!

I do wonder sometimes why the V8 aint been more utilised. The big six has better torque characteristics as a rule, but then the V8 is very compact. Merc have even succumbed to the 6 though now I think!

I heard the scanny v8 was a derived from an aec design, anybody heard about this?

Mal:
Thanks for that interesting bit of info Boden!

I do wonder sometimes why the V8 aint been more utilised. The big six has better torque characteristics as a rule, but then the V8 is very compact. Merc have even succumbed to the 6 though now I think!

I heard the scanny v8 was a derived from an aec design, anybody heard about this?

I heard a Mack thermodyne was evolved from a Scania… AEC - Scania - Mack perchance? Dont some of the DAF units owe ancestry to AEC? Or was that Willeme?

The Scania V8 seems to be their own design though they would surely have noted what had happened with the AEC V8 which , as we have said before on this forum, could have been sorted if the stiffs in suits running BL hadnt been diverting funds away from the profitable truck side to prop up car plants that (occasionally ) built cars that people didnt want.

DAF used or licence built Leyland engines in the 50’s ,I think 350 and 600 versions and the 11.1 litre that went in 2800 etc, is said to be based on the Leyland 680 but DAF kept developing it,

Likewise, was the Scania 110/111 fitted with their version of the 680? I gather that Scania did look to Leyland in the 50’s for cylinder head technology.

I have no clue about the mack engine, the daf though I believe the same as boden, they got a good lump off leyland, the 680 for sure, and stuck with it.
I think leyland stopped at about 200bhp on the 680, i had a routeman with one in, it was reliable at least and took some serious good hidings!

Aint it a pity the way things went, from excellence in manufacture, this country makes hardly bugger all nowadays, long term, I think it’s gonna be a big mistake!

That’s right about the sad story of Leyland, killed by Harold Wilson.
As to Daf and Leyland engines, I still think later Dafs sound like Leylands. :cry:

BTW Mal, the word you used which was edited out would be perfectly acceptable to me personally, but the auto-censor has rather more delicate sensibilities. :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Salut, David.

That autosensor is a killjoy! :laughing:

Some years back we used to load out of a sister company in Nottingham and one night I had to move a 85 Series Daf Unit to get on the bay , I immediately thought that it sounded like a Leyland Beaver, which I never drove one, but well remember them from my youth. The Leyland 600 was 9.8 litres but turned out 146 bhp at 2200 rpm so would appear to have been lightly stressed and from which I heard some good first hand reports seems to be the forgotten engine.[/b]

DAF did indeed use the Leyland engines as the basis for their own.

Ford insisted on having re-cast heads on Perkins engines that were fitted in their vehicles (They had F O R D cast into them), This applied to 4-, 6- and 8-cylinder variants.

Willeme also built vehicles and engines under licence from AEC as part of a lomg-standing collaberation.

I have heard that Scania regularly took two loads a week from Leyland up until the eighties, which consisted of engine components. I know nothing more than that and it was an employee of Leyland who told me (many years ago).

Marky, what Ford engines were they? the 4 & 6’s I mean.

I know the v8 perky was used in the D1617, also a ■■■■■■■ v8 and thought all other 6 cyl’s engines were dorset or dover ford made motors set on a slant.

To be honest Mal I don’t know which 4 & 6 cylinders were Perkins. All I know is that they agreed to have the FORD heads put on rather than risk another supplier getting the gig.

Maybe it was in the older tucks Mark, the petrol v8 powered motors like the thames stuff ect? I only really know back to the d series, before that im pretty clueless! Well, theres summat for me to do, see if i can find out!