Smallest diesel V8?

Mal, the petrol V8’s in the Ford Thames (pre-Trader) and WWII military trucks, were the 3622 cc (221 cu.in.) sidevalve engine, which had hardly changed since 1932. It was the same engine as fitted in the Ford V8 Pilot cars, except that they had twin fanbelts and a one inch larger diameter clutch plate. I ran two of them in the Sixties, couldn’t afford to now as they were real petrol drinkers, never did more than 15 mpg.

That sounds like one hell of an engine Sheeter! A v8 sidevalve, I bet theyd run forever!

Have you got any clue as to the perkins diesels Mark mentioned being made for fords? Ive searched google but i cant find a thing!

I was wondering if they banged them in the pre-trader thames you mentioned, as an alternative to that V8 petrol?

My Dad operatd a pre-Trader Ford ,which I just about remember, it was a diesel powered bonneted number he called a 4D but I think it was really called a ET4. It gave him several years years of grief before being traded in, in 1961 for the first of two Morris 7 tonners .Their engine was 5.7 litre 105bhp based on a Saurer design.and they were good wagons, especially as a 2 ton overload was not unusual.They were actually fairly light chassis and when plating came in the late 60’s were only rated at 11 1/2 ton gross. I remember in 69 he looked at a ■■■■■■■ powered Ford 16 tonner belonging to Brownbridges of Pontefract-who might still be trading-but based on experience must have thought better of it.