Small Lift Axle

I’m just wondering if anyone can tell me why lots of 6x2 tanker tractors,especially Scania’s,all seem to have a smaller wheel on their lift axle?
It only seems to be on tankers for some reason

They create more space so the discharge equipment can be fitted easily, more pay load is a bonus too.

Shoshaye:
They create more space so the discharge equipment can be fitted easily, more pay load is a bonus too.

In what way? What discharge equipment?

The-Snowman:

Shoshaye:

Are you new to driving snowman :question: :question:

The-Snowman:
It only seems to be on tankers for some reason

Bulk tippers have them, some are hidden by side skirts on regular trucks, especially Irish & continental fridges.

The-Snowman:
What discharge equipment?

Theres a motor that runs the pump with hydraulics.

On bulk tanker and tipper work payload is king, a small wheeled lift axle, on alloys, will give an extra half tonne minimum.Might not sound a lot, until you factor in at least 10 loads a week.

I can’t mind what company shell, BP one of that lot but they don’t have trailer legs either! Just to get more payload weight!

i can remember when we fitted alloy wheels as it gave an extra x percent payload.

merc0447:
I can’t mind what company shell, BP one of that lot but they don’t have trailer legs either! Just to get more payload weight!

that was shell, they even did away with the twin wheels on the drives and fitted super singles .

seth 70:

The-Snowman:

Shoshaye:

Are you new to driving snowman :question: :question:

Why does not knowing something mean I must be new to driving? If you know absolutely everything there is to know then you’ll be the only person in history. And even if you do (unlikely) the only way you found it out was to ASK. Ive never driven tankers and I dont know why they have a set of smaller wheels or what discharge equipment is.
Oh shock horror. How ever do I survive in my day to day life? If you cant be helpful when someone asks a question maybe you could keep quiet
Thanks to everyone else though.

scotstrucker:

merc0447:

that was shell, they even did away with the twin wheels on the drives and fitted super singles .

were they any different to drive? handling wise i mean?

I.ve never driven a tipper or a tanker but i know how they both work

to be fair snowman in the list of stupid questions posted on this site you are waaaay down the list with this one, and agree if you dont know ask is the best policy. i guess driving has changed though and drivers would rather mow each other down as opposed to assist one and other like the good ole days:wink:

Why is that a stupid question? He’s not asking why a lift axle, just why it’s small and in particular he noticed it on tankers.

thats what i was trying to say ( that it wasnt stupid ).

Ah sorry see what you mean now :grimacing:

chaversdad:
I.ve never driven a tipper or a tanker but i know how they both work

And how did you find out how they both work? Did you just wake up one morning and te information was already in your head? Or did you ask someone? I can hazard a guess which one it was
No one knows anything till they are told how to do it first.
Forums are supposed to be places where you can ask questions and get information,help and tips. Unfortunately every keyboard warrior also has a platform for sarcasm or condisention and this puts a lot of people off.
Again though,thanks to all who answered. Makes sense now

no worries freight dog, and snowman truck net has the highest level of sarcasm than any other site i have been on.

but there are some good posters who have great knowledge.

and i have maybe been guilty of being too snappy/sarcastic at times.

Snowman,seeing as nobody has answered your question fully I will. Basically all the discharge equipment does is pump compressed air into the tank,which then when the valve to release the product from the tank is opened forces the product,wether it be liquid or powder out.So basically all the discharge equipment is is a glorified air compressor.
Hope this helps. oh and personally I think powder tank work is one of the best/easiest jobs going.

The-Snowman:
Why does not knowing something mean I must be new to driving? If you know absolutely everything there is to know then you’ll be the only person in history. And even if you do (unlikely) the only way you found it out was to ASK. Ive never driven tankers and I dont know why they have a set of smaller wheels or what discharge equipment is.
Oh shock horror. How ever do I survive in my day to day life? If you cant be helpful when someone asks a question maybe you could keep quiet
Thanks to everyone else though.

Calm down princess. :laughing: