"Slow Down - Move Over"

All,

As I’m Sure You Are Aware, The Recovery Industry Has Lost Two Technicians In Almost As Few Weeks On The Motorways Of The UK. The Industry Is Very Close To My Heart As I Have Been A Part Of It For Almost Ten Years, And Operate Several “Recovery Vehicles” With My Younger Brother.

The Industry Is Campaigning For A “Slow Down - Move Over” Law Like Our U.S Counterparts And As Such We Have A Petition Which We Would Appreciate Your Help With. At This Point In Time We Are Purely Looking For Signatures Of HGV Operators/Drivers/Roadside Workers Etc… To Help Bring This Petition To The Attention Of Parliament And To Be Considered For Debate.

The Whole Recovery Industry Would Really Appreciate Your Support With This. The Link To The Petition Is : https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202302

This Post Has Been Approved By Rikki Via PM.

Thanking You All In Advance :slight_smile:

Signed. Close to my heart too mate after spending a few years doing motorway roadworks recoveries.

Most decent drivers paying attention do will slow down or move over a lane when they see beacons on the hard shoulder.

Sadly a law isn’t really going to help the matter as there is always the inconsiderate or inattentive and it would just be another law that goes unpunished as there is no one to police it. Much like lane hoggers, driving through a red x etc the list goes on an on.

I also note a response on another thread about recovery firms not even requesting assistance from HATO to close off a lane for safety like they do for tyre fitters. This was something posted by another poster saying all too often recovery firms do not request assistance.

The only workable solution to this to keep you safer IMHO is for Recovery operators/HATO to work together more closely. Making sure matrix signs are being used on motorways when applicable and to have lanes closed off by HATO so you guys can work relatively safely to get the stranded vehicle moved ASAP.

I would like to see it make a difference for the sake of the guys on the roadside but people are idiots and even when there are laws they still ignore them. I can’t see how a law that won’t get policed is actually going to benefit you guys.

simcor:
Most decent drivers paying attention do will slow down or move over a lane when they see beacons on the hard shoulder.

Sadly a law isn’t really going to help the matter as there is always the inconsiderate or inattentive and it would just be another law that goes unpunished as there is no one to police it. Much like lane hoggers, driving through a red x etc the list goes on an on.

I also note a response on another thread about recovery firms not even requesting assistance from HATO to close off a lane for safety like they do for tyre fitters. This was something posted by another poster saying all too often recovery firms do not request assistance.

The only workable solution to this to keep you safer IMHO is for Recovery operators/HATO to work together more closely. Making sure matrix signs are being used on motorways when applicable and to have lanes closed off by HATO so you guys can work relatively safely to get the stranded vehicle moved ASAP.

I would like to see it make a difference for the sake of the guys on the roadside but people are idiots and even when there are laws they still ignore them. I can’t see how a law that won’t get policed is actually going to benefit you guys.

I Think Your Quite Right, And A Lot Of What Goes On Behind The Scenes You Guys Won’t Know About. The Industry Meets Regularly With Highways England And Various Suggestions Have Been Made And Are Being Put Into Place. The Industry Spends A Fortune On Health & Safety, The Latest Equipment, PPE, Training, And Progress Is Being Made, But Very Very Slowly.

As For The Law, Yes, Your Probably Right, But What We Can Achieve Is To Raise Awareness Amongst The Motoring Public And If Nothing Else Provoke A Healthy Debate About The Subject!

simcor:

I came down a deserted M50 after dark tonight with an artic that I’d overtaken about 100 yards behind me and I saw a cluster of breakdown vehicles on the h/s in the distance. I moved across into lane two and as I passed saw one of the recovery guys wave his hand in acknowledgment, I checked my mirror and saw the following artic remain in lane one despite no other vehicles around him!

The problem with this is human nature dictates that we look at the hazard as we pass which unfortunately can lead to “target fixation” in which we go where we look with potentially fatal consequences.

Steve_H:

simcor:

I Think Your Quite Right, And A Lot Of What Goes On Behind The Scenes You Guys Won’t Know About. The Industry Meets Regularly With Highways England And Various Suggestions Have Been Made And Are Being Put Into Place. The Industry Spends A Fortune On Health & Safety, The Latest Equipment, PPE, Training, And Progress Is Being Made, But Very Very Slowly.

As For The Law, Yes, Your Probably Right, But What We Can Achieve Is To Raise Awareness Amongst The Motoring Public And If Nothing Else Provoke A Healthy Debate About The Subject!

I think raising awareness is a lot more important to try and teach the average idiot why they need to do something. Some hard hitting TV adverts much like they used to do with drink driving etc.

I just don’t personally think a law is the problem solver in this case, just my personal thoughts.

Makes me smile when you see companies like the Aa using the data dollies to reviver cars that take a while to get set up on the road. Use spec lift vehicles like they do for repo of cars in America, slide spec under he wheels stuck one ■■■■■■■■ safe side wheel and move vehicle to safer place to check it over repair or secure fully and taken to home/garage.

Obviously the larger vehicles are more troublesome I. E vans upwards.

I’ll sign the petition anyway though.

the maoster:

simcor:

I came down a deserted M50 after dark tonight with an artic that I’d overtaken about 100 yards behind me and I saw a cluster of breakdown vehicles on the h/s in the distance. I moved across into lane two and as I passed saw one of the recovery guys wave his hand in acknowledgment, I checked my mirror and saw the following artic remain in lane one despite no other vehicles around him!

The problem with this is human nature dictates that we look at the hazard as we pass which unfortunately can lead to “target fixation” in which we go where we look with potentially fatal consequences.

As I said sadly nothing will stop idiots like that from doing something like that as they do not consider the consequences at all of what might happen.

Just by being less self centered half of the issue could be avoided. That’s without the issues of driving whilst tired etc. Or just plain simply someone who should not hold a licence.

On the same vane it should be made law for vehicles in lane 2 and 3 to move over or allow lane 1 vehicles out in this scenario and we know how oblivious people are when there is a free lane to the side of them.

Anyway I’m trying not to digress too much now.

Signed, spent just short of a year on recovery and breakdowns before I did my LGV licences using a spec lift Iveco Turbo Daily and a tilt and slide Ford Cargo 7.5 tonner, changed many a flat tyre or recovered a NS at 4 in the morning on the hard shoulder of the M5, to anyone that hasn’t done it I don’t think they can truly appreciate the danger and it doesn’t matter how much reflective tape, hi-vis clothing and flashing ambers you got, things can and do still get pretty hairy.

the maoster:

simcor:

There lies the problem, the good drivers will, and do, always move out anyway, but the problem does not lie with the good drivers…
For every good driver there is a prick with a licence following him, all the campaigns and petitions going will never create common sense among these useless ■■■■ s.
Petition signed btw.

robroy:

the maoster:

simcor:

There lies the problem, the good drivers will, and do, always move out anyway, but the problem does not lie with the good drivers…
For every good driver there is a prick with a licence following him, all the campaigns and petitions going will never create common sense among these useless [zb] s.

100% Agree. But As An Industry You Must Understand That We Cant Just Sit Back And Do Nothing.

Recovery’s always appealed to me, but the danger (and horrible hours) put me off. A workmate of mine used to do recovery, and told me he jacked it in after a couple of near misses on the hard shoulder, one in which his sleeve was ripped off by a passing artic.

Also, the number of times I’ve moved over and the vehicle behind me takes it as some kind of invitation to fly up my inside. I take my hat off to you boys.

I have friends who are or have been in the recovery industry. They say the worst sound imaginable is the “thud thud” of cats eyes being depressed. Common sense says you pull over and give as much space as you can, usually the recovery guy shows his appreciation with a wave.

Sadly, I think it would simply be another unenforceable law. Road policing these days is done by camera and unless there’s one covering the area, there’ll be no protection for the worker.

As others said, the public need to be retrained and not giving these guys the space they need has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving or using a phone. Sadly I fear that without enforcement, nothing will change, but with no police, there’ll be no enforcement.

Petition signed.

SLOW DOWN, MOVE OVER having worked on live carriageways I give this my full support. I doubt it will come to law, but I hope at least on here it may raise some awareness of the need to slow down and move over. Its simply done and will save lives

I’d sign if I could but I live in Oz where we have the same problems. Included is tailgating. Me and the mrs were on the road in our car yesterday and despite it being against the law, we were often tail gated, usually by idiots in four wheel drives or utes (pick ups). This was while in a line of traffic so couldn’t go any faster if we’d wanted to. The cretins out there, in the UK and Oz simply take no notice of laws, rules, regulations etc; the only thing they understand id draconian punishment, but more often than not, if they do get caught it’s a fine and a couple of points when in fact, they should be put off the road and none of the rubbish about hardship etc to get let off. These gits know what they are doing and know the chances of getting caught or receiving a worthwhile punishment are close to zero until they’ve caused injury or death to some other poor sod.

Rikki-UK:
SLOW DOWN, MOVE OVER
[/quote]
^ And give way to lane changing traffic in the event of a hazard on the hard shoulder like the rule give way to buses leaving a bus stop.Anyone getting side swiped in that situation will be held at fault. :bulb: :wink:

As you said, it is law here but it is somewhat ignored by the arrogant and ignorant, many is the time I move over to give the crew a safe working space and have some ■■■■■■■ race up the inside and ignore my actions, if I look in the mirror and see one coming I move back over slightly to half block the lane and then slow up to prevent any such idiot coming by.

Captain Caveman 76:
Sadly I fear that without enforcement, nothing will change, but with no police, there’ll be no enforcement.

Petition signed.

An automatic charge of dangerous driving for not moving over and/or not giving way to lane changing traffic and a penalty to match ‘if’ they are caught would at least make more people think about their actions in that situation and can only be an improvement on what exists now.

Carryfast:

Captain Caveman 76:
Sadly I fear that without enforcement, nothing will change, but with no police, there’ll be no enforcement.

Petition signed.

An automatic charge of dangerous driving for not moving over and/or not giving way to lane changing traffic and a penalty to match ‘if’ they are caught would at least make more people think about their actions in that situation and can only be an improvement on what exists now.

The trouble Is, whilst the focus is on speeding (which can be enforced without personel) poor driving will continue and our roads will never be safe. Some drivers will always think they can get away with anything.
Get the jam sandwiches back on the motorways and watch driving standards improve.

Captain Caveman 76:
The trouble Is, whilst the focus is on speeding (which can be enforced without personel) poor driving will continue and our roads will never be safe. Some drivers will always think they can get away with anything.
Get the jam sandwiches back on the motorways and watch driving standards improve.

Firstly unmarked police vehicle patrols are actually a larger deterrent factor now than the old school marked vehicle ones ever were.To the point where it’s that issue as much as,if not moreso than,cameras which has made motorways a liability in terms of using them as intended to anywhere quick.At least from my point of view compared to earlier times.

On that note I’d guess that a well publicised change in the regs and penalty regime alone,regards what is expected of considerate competent drivers,when dealing with hard shoulder type hazards and draconian penalties for non compliance,would fix many of the problems.Just on the basis of the deterrent factor and certainly better than what we’ve got at present.

Signed. Looks like its more a problem in the UK than here in France/Spain at least. I always without fail move over into the other lane if recovery is on the carriageway or can see a driver changing an offside wheel and in general most other drivers here do as well.
Good luck in your campaign…