Slot 1 or Slot 2 for Training

Hello all and a happy New Year.
I have been tasked with taking a new driver out to show him the ropes on a multi-drop run tomorrow, he will do the majority of the driving and the shift will take no longer than ten hours.
I’m all good with drivers hours and WTD so that’s not an issue however, my question relates to using 2 cards. His card will be in slot 1 and I will be putting my card in slot 2.
My question is, can I leave my card in slot 2 all day on POA/Break and manually switch it to drive when I do or do I have to eject both cards and swap them over? I’m not sure if slot 2 records driving.
It may seem like a silly question but I’ve never run like this before and as I have never had any infringements, I don’t want to start now.
Thank you in advance,
Richard

You have to use slot 1 for any driving.

It is as you think. Swap cards over when you start driving. Just remember to check both cards have registered before you move off.

If multi manning the first 45 minutes of POA classes as a break too.

Slot 2 automatically defaults to POA when slot 1 shows driving.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It is not possible to switch Slot 2 to record driving - it can only show POA, Break/Rest or Work. Any time you swap seats you must also swap the cards over (just be aware that this simple procedure can take several minutes to execute as you wait for the head unit to process the cards - so make sure you choose an appropriate time/location).

Slot 2 by default normally records POA any time the wheels are turning. Default behaviour when the wheels stop (and when ignition switched off or on) varies, and may well not be the same as Slot 1, so you should keep an eye on it and be ready to switch it to Work each time you stop at a delivery point.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

When in slot 2 it should have other work selected as training means that both are either working or driving at the same time

For example the trainer cannot be doing nothing if they are giving instructions to the trainee or the trainer is driving giving info the the trainee

Isn’t this…

Covered by the dcpc?

I never used slot 2 when training, reason being it would record POA when in motion which is false; i’m working, explaining things, giving directions etc. I would sometimes have a trainee with me for a full week, if I used slot 2 I would have ended up with next to no working time recorded for the week which is falsification of records in my eyes.

Training is not double manning.

When it was my turn to drive and/or at the end of the day, i’d stick my card in slot 1 and do manual entries to show other work & breaks.

This may look like i’m being ■■■■, bit really I just didn’t want the training I did to be a convenient opportunity for the office to bring down my working time average, making myself liable for a shafting when I was back out solo.

In this case the training is done with a working vehicle so both drivers need to keep records = both are legally required to use the digi

ROG:
In this case the training is done with a working vehicle so both drivers need to keep records = both are legally required to use the digi

I do keep records though, just accurate ones not false POA.

Will digi record other work when in slot 2 with moving vehicle :question:

rob22888:
I never used slot 2 when training, reason being it would record POA when in motion which is false; i’m working, explaining things, giving directions etc. I would sometimes have a trainee with me for a full week, if I used slot 2 I would have ended up with next to no working time recorded for the week which is falsification of records in my eyes.

Training is not double manning.

When it was my turn to drive and/or at the end of the day, i’d stick my card in slot 1 and do manual entries to show other work & breaks.

This may look like i’m being ■■■■, bit really I just didn’t want the training I did to be a convenient opportunity for the office to bring down my working time average, making myself liable for a shafting when I was back out solo.

I’m usually tasked with taking new passes or new drivers out and like you I leave the card out but just do a manual entry at the end of the day as otherwise it’ll show poa most of the day. But I never drive.

ROG:

No.

Dav1d:

ROG:

No.

Thanks

Looks like manual entries are the way to go then …

ROG:

Dav1d:

ROG:

No.

Thanks

Looks like manual entries are the way to go then …

Which is what I’ve always said and done.

yourhavingalarf:
Isn’t this…

Covered by the dcpc?

Not necessarily. Module content is not standardised, which is just one of the faults with the bloody thing.

If I was training someone I’d just not bother with the card and if I had to drive at some point I’d just do manual entries. Far as I’m aware it is totally fine as long as your boss isn’t gonna pull a sneaky one and send you on double man runs.

Can’t record a full shift as poa if you’re the trainer as you’re working the same as the driver.

This is another case that highlights that our digi tachographs are not fit for purpose.
They only just work if solo crewed but are useless for every other application .
And to think how long the introduction was delayed because they couldn’t get it right !

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

In my eyes, they are both working, so need to keep 2 sets of records, one for whoever is driving, and the other for the instructor…and change over the cards when the instructor is behind the wheel.

truckyboy:
In my eyes, they are both working, so need to keep 2 sets of records, one for whoever is driving, and the other for the instructor…and change over the cards when the instructor is behind the wheel.

True but unless I am wrong there is no requirement for the trainer to use the tachograph unless he is driving.
I have been with drivers due to lack of vehicles or showing me runs and never had to use a tacho I just do a manual entry the next day.

I’d agree with the poster above the tachographs aren’t well designed but I still think they are an improvement of the paper ones.