Slip Roads, Do You Adjust Speed Etc

Yesterday saw several near misses with cars and trucks joining the motorway.It can’t be blamed on the rain this is every day and night, week in week out.

I try to move into the centre lane if possible, and sometimes tap the brakes to let a truck join the inside lane, do you ?

Saw most trucks trying to adjust, but others just ignored traffic coming onto the DC or MW.

If a car can’t use a quarter of a mile slip road to accelerate to 60 miles an hour then that’s their fault, I never move over unless there is a long queue coming down the slip road. It’s the motorway drivers right of way no matter what they are driving. The problem is people are scared to put their foot down until they are on the motorway, and they often don’t even check their mirrors until they are right at the end of the slip.
When I’m joining a motorway in my car or a truck I don’t expect anyone to move over because it’s their right of way.

I never give way to anybody other than HGVs on motorways or dual carriageways. It results in a few near misses with silly car drivers I must admit but it states in the highway code that traffic already on the carriageway has priority & that you should match your speed to fit safely into traffic. An hgv is the slowest vehicle so technically everyone should be able to get ahead…!
If you slow another vehicle down or make it change it’s course you’d instantly fail a driving test anyway wouldn’t you…■■?
So with lane discipline you should always keep left unless overtaking. Moving over to allow car driving pricks is just plain stupid. All so called ‘pro’ drivers should read the highway code & stick to it…!

When I learned to drive ( in a Hillman Imp , 1970 ), my instructor gave me this most valuable piece of advice,
EVERY OTHER DRIVER AND PEDESTRIAN IS AN IDIOT, TREAT THEM AS SUCH UNTIL IT IS 100% OBVIOUS WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO.
It has worked for me so far.

yeah the problem is cars not getting up to speed and not using full length of slip road
i may move over to the centre lane for them if they use indicators
but if they dont use thier indicator i wont move over
even if the middle lane is empty
then its up to them if they want to smash into the side of me

FarnboroughBoy11:
If a car can’t use a quarter of a mile slip road to accelerate to 60 miles an hour then that’s their fault, I never move over unless there is a long queue coming down the slip road. It’s the motorway drivers right of way no matter what they are driving. The problem is people are scared to put their foot down until they are on the motorway, and they often don’t even check their mirrors until they are right at the end of the slip.
When I’m joining a motorway in my car or a truck I don’t expect anyone to move over because it’s their right of way.

+1
i even find myself, (rightly or wrongly) not moving out for trucks anymore. depending on conditions etc.
fed up over the years of moving over to help vehicles join, only for alot of them to regally stitch you up, by leaving you stuck out in the middle whilst they dawdle on your inside, or after a certain period of you trying to get by, they then undertake you :unamused:
unfortunately its not just the cars that do this these days either, i suppose it shows how driving standards in general have dropped over the last few years.

Its up to the person on the slip road to ensure they join the carriageway safely. The top of a slip road should be treated as a ‘give way’. If there is nothing beside me, I’ll move over to lane 2 and let vehicles join from the slip road.

If I can’t move over, then I won’t slow down to let another vehicle join. Its not really my problem.

“All so called ‘pro’ drivers should read the highway code & stick to it…!”

Agree, but don’t mention 40mph on SC and 50mph on DC on this forum, helmet on, “INCOMING”>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Joking aside, keep to the left, thats the highway code p86, topic 259.

“Give priority to traffic already on the motorway”

My OP justs asks what we do as C+E drivers, I pull out everytime for trucks, can’ty see the problem with that.

Also like to add, the plod are going to be given more powere to fine mid lane hoggers, about time too, do you agree ?

Used to slow down a little or move over to help the dopey car drivers out who seem unable to grasp the concept of how to join a motorway, now I just think balls to them, not my problem anymore!

If I can move over safely I will, but what is really annoying is when car drivers look up from their blackberry and then start to look in their mirrors just before the give way lines, and, maybe 1 in a hundred actually look over their shoulders :angry: . Truck drivers are sometimes the worst, you move over then they park the bus leaving you creeping past at 1/4 kph faster than them, when I’m joiniing I’ll let someone who’s moved over past, if I’m quicker I’ll let them back in then I’ll overtake, simples innit.

I’ll move over/adjust my speed only if i have to, otherwise its up to the vehicle entering the motorway to make allowances and give way.

Still amuses me when you get the odd driver that doesnt think the highway code applies to them, like the BMW driver on the M4 the other day who got upset i didnt move over because he’s too stupid to put his foot down, acres of space in front and behind but oh no i must roll out the red carpet just for him to hang me out to dry in the middle lane, no chance :smiling_imp:

Funny how he then managed to find the speed to overtake me while blaring his horn and inviting me for coffee :unamused:

Begs the Q, should motorways be part of the car driving test ?

Rooster:
Begs the Q, should motorways be part of the car driving test ?

yeah, new drivers should not be able to drive on a motorway until they have passed a motorway test or at least taken a compulsory course of maybe 10 hours motorway driving

Maybe it’s deliberate, create scenarios where crashes are more likely to occur & keep insurance companies, claims companies, highways monkeys etc employed…

Pimpdaddy:
Maybe it’s deliberate, create scenarios where crashes are more likely to occur & keep insurance companies, claims companies, highways monkeys etc employed…

Probably as there is that suicidal breed of prick that will barge their way on to a motorway without observing the highway code or what other vehicles are on it,causing them to serve or slow very quickly

But when they get a flash of the lights in their mirror or and the horn to remind them of there stupid mistake they take offence and slam on their brakes in front of you because the law doesn’t apply to them, as they seem to think they can do what the zb they like

One such prick found out that wasn’t entirely true he nearly paid a visit into the central armco barrier his ■■■■■ and rug rats saved his bacon

It’s an education thing the lads girlfriend passed her test and asked if I’d show her how to drive on motorway.
Truck pulls out to allow her on so she just drives on inside of him.
She had no concept of allowing him to pass and repaying the courtesy.

I’ll move to lane 2 only if it’s safe to do so! :slight_smile: I knock the CC off a couple of Ks to let the Pallet man or parcel trunker by to avoid being compromised in a HGV sandwich!! Saying that! I moved out for a slow hill climbing 8 wheel tipper up the top of the hill from Jct 26! Only for the idiot to freewheel down the inside of me! I moved in to block said manoeuvre and he decided to ride on the hardshoulder! Muppet! :grimacing:

I move over when safe to do so for buses or lorries ,even tractors ,but not cars. Car drivers are not predictable so better left to their own devices

I see car drivers that doodle joining the motorway,i have left a gap in front of me for them to merge,and they decide to slow down,then are behind me then use the accerelator to get past me,why not use it to start with.

I do if it’s safe and required even for cars. Just because I share the road with idiots doesnt mean I have lower my professional standards.