Slip Roads, Do You Adjust Speed Etc

FarnboroughBoy11:
If a car can’t use a quarter of a mile slip road to accelerate to 60 miles an hour then that’s their fault, I never move over unless there is a long queue coming down the slip road. It’s the motorway drivers right of way no matter what they are driving. The problem is people are scared to put their foot down until they are on the motorway, and they often don’t even check their mirrors until they are right at the end of the slip.
When I’m joining a motorway in my car or a truck I don’t expect anyone to move over because it’s their right of way.

+1

Exactly this, my pet hate is people who don’t understand how to use a slip road. They should blend in with the traffic and that doesn’t mean drive to the end of the slip road and stop nearly causing a accident. I see this day in day out, the A12 is a classic example, I too only move over if there’s a long queue of traffic on the slip otherwise I stay in my lane

This is why there should be an extra test for car drivers before they are allowed on the motorway. Everyone wins. Govt gets more money and roads are safer.

Sure we move over to avoid a collision when a car comes up a slip road, but what happens next? Oh yes, the car sits in lane one waiting for you to speed up past 56mph to get past them. Then they wonder why you are just sitting next to them like a pillock.

I just stay in lane one now. Let the joining traffic make the decisions. Fed up of thinking for other people.

dessy:
I’ll move to lane 2 only if it’s safe to do so! :slight_smile: I knock the CC off a couple of Ks to let the Pallet man or parcel trunker by to avoid being compromised in a HGV sandwich!! Saying that! I moved out for a slow hill climbing 8 wheel tipper up the top of the hill from Jct 26! Only for the idiot to freewheel down the inside of me! I moved in to block said manoeuvre and he decided to ride on the hardshoulder! Muppet! :grimacing:

I only pull out to allow trunk driver on :wink: :wink:

keebs26uk:

FarnboroughBoy11:
If a car can’t use a quarter of a mile slip road to accelerate to 60 miles an hour then that’s their fault, I never move over unless there is a long queue coming down the slip road. It’s the motorway drivers right of way no matter what they are driving. The problem is people are scared to put their foot down until they are on the motorway, and they often don’t even check their mirrors until they are right at the end of the slip.
When I’m joining a motorway in my car or a truck I don’t expect anyone to move over because it’s their right of way.

+1

Exactly this, my pet hate is people who don’t understand how to use a slip road. They should blend in with the traffic and that doesn’t mean drive to the end of the slip road and stop nearly causing a accident. I see this day in day out, the A12 is a classic example, I too only move over if there’s a long queue of traffic on the slip otherwise I stay in my lane

Had a ■■■ who didnt understand how to join a D/C off a short slip road on the A3 last week, I was following a car and truck past the slip, ■■■ attempted to join between car and truck, realising they were going to fast decided to try between the car and me, he has now run out of road, half on slip and half on road the ■■■ slams brakes on, he was fortunate lane 2 was emty or i would of had to wipe the ■■■ out.
I just hope he realised how close he was to dying, and he learnt his lesson.

I’ve got fed up of moving out to aid those joining, as I’ve too often ended up marrooned in the second lane while the ■■■■■ sit alongside me.

FarnboroughBoy11:

i am the same. i dont move over for anyone even trucks.

I always pull-out to allow traffic to join when it’s safe to whatever vehicle type. Checking mirror and steering wheel not even quarter of a turn hardly arduous.

If it ends up with other drivers thinking I’m hogging the middle lane if I get stuck out there they’ll have to think that. Quite a few of them will be the car drivers that are really being held up by their pathological fear of the outside lane not the lorry in the middle lane.

FarnboroughBoy11:

^this^ is bang on :wink:

However a lorry merging is a totally different thing, you move out to the middle lane to allow them to join and they accelerate up to the limiter and keep you hanging out in the middle lane, that is not how it should be, if someone has had the courtesy to move over to allow you to join the motorway easily, it should be reciprocated by backing off and letting them pass and get back out of the way into the left lane again :bulb:

The problem it that all car drivers I meet don’t know where their blindspots are. And again Monday morning at about 9.55am I will put on my High Vis jacket and show another car driver doing they B+E test where their blindspots are before going into the cafe at Marsh Barton for the first coffee break of the day. Joy…

newmercman:

FarnboroughBoy11:

^this^ is bang on :wink:

However a lorry merging is a totally different thing, you move out to the middle lane to allow them to join and they accelerate up to the limiter and keep you hanging out in the middle lane, that is not how it should be, if someone has had the courtesy to move over to allow you to join the motorway easily, it should be reciprocated by backing off and letting them pass and get back out of the way into the left lane again :bulb:

couldn’t agree more, this is exactly how it should be.
bad enough, and expect to be stitched up by car drivers, but when its “1 of our own” it does become a tad annoying. guess thats why it seems so common on this thread why most of us now stick to lane 1.

We had a driving instructor on these very forums who suggested the line on the end of the slip road was where you pulled up and looked over your shoulder, not a car instructor, some knob who had been training lorry drivers for 26 years, you may remember him, or her.

Even on a slip road, it was a give way line according to him, no mention of speed matching or judging the gap as they came down the motorway approach.

What we get here in Oz is a bunch of ■■■■■ coming down the slip road all bunched up one anothers arses and expecting everyone else to get out of the way. I’ve had quite a few driving along the hard shoulder blowing their ■■■■■■■ horns at me. Oh and we do get plenty of dickbrains doing about 40 mph while they’re trying to join. :unamused:

Never adjust my speed or lane unless it is to prevent an accident, I will switch lanes to let another truck run on if the other lane is clear and it is quiet, they can hardly out accelerate you if your flat out and your both in an average speed truck eh…

What boils my ■■■■, is professional drivers that won’t move over even when the middle lane is empty. seems to be a common problem with fridge drivers. Funnily enough its normally the same drivers who font flash you in after you pass them, even though they have thirty spot lights.

happysack:
What boils my ■■■■, is professional drivers that won’t move over even when the middle lane is empty. seems to be a common problem with fridge drivers. Funnily enough its normally the same drivers who font flash you in after you pass them, even though they have thirty spot lights.

:unamused: :unamused: have you read the posts on here?

dri-diddly-iver:

happysack:

:unamused: :unamused: have you read the posts on here?

Yes I have. Thanks for taking the time to ask though.

happysack:

So it’s you!
As stated in the highway code and repeated here there and everywhere it doesn’t matter what’s in the middle lane coming down a slip road is a giveway.
if your ■■■■ gets boiled because a driver with right of way won’t get the ■■■■ out off your way then you’re the kind of ■■■■ this thread is about.

happysack:

As I stated earlier if you are on the slip Road and I am on the Dual carriageway and you are trying to get on then it is up to you to adjust your speed to blend in with me, It is not up to me to move over, as stated earlier I only move over if there’s a long que on the slip.

If you have a heavy load and are struggling to get in then it is up to you to adjust your speed to blend in behind me while still making progress.

In some circumstances I will lay off my speed and let you in but in the above it’s your choice

Mr B:

happysack:

So it’s you!
As stated in the highway code and repeated here there and everywhere it doesn’t matter what’s in the middle lane coming down a slip road is a giveway.
if your ■■■■ gets boiled because a driver with right of way won’t get the [zb] out off your way then you’re the kind of [zb] this thread is about.

Ok so maybe not highway code, but how about some common sense. I take it you’ve never joined a motorway from an uphill slip road, when fully freighted?

happysack:
Ok so maybe not highway code, but how about some common sense. I take it you’ve never joined a motorway from an uphill slip road, when fully freighted?

Are you for real :unamused: