Sliding skeleton trailers

How do these work?? I’ve never used one before, I am guessing you use your red airline on the 2nd connecter on the trailer??

Been told to pick one up at 4:30 in morning and make it long enough for a 45ft container, would like abit of a heads up if you can chaps.

Cheers

Cheryl Fernandez Versini on a sledge.

That’s a sliding skeleton.

eagerbeaver:
Cheryl Fernandez Versini on a sledge.

That’s a sliding skeleton.

Cheers for that EB :wink:

Apologies for being unable to assist you in a constructive manner mate. My skills are average at best !!

Yeah thats pretty much it. You undo the brake line, put it in the other connector on the trailer and then reverse back and it shortens the trailer. They can be a pain in the arse, especially when the container is heavy. If the runners are old and worn then it sticks and wont slide back. Sometimes as well if the chassis is slightly twisted, the pins at the back wont go in properly and need either a whack with a pipe or sometimes rocking back and forth will work.
Edit : Just noticed you asked for 45 ft containers. the only trailers I ever used for 45ers just had extendable air hose runner and a bar at the back that extended.

yt03:
How do these work?? I’ve never used one before, I am guessing you use your red airline on the 2nd connecter on the trailer??

Been told to pick one up at 4:30 in morning and make it long enough for a 45ft container, would like abit of a heads up if you can chaps.

Cheers

Trailers vary a little but the information on which pin position is usually written on it on a sticker.

As its gonna be dark and early heres some basics that might help.

First thing to do is apply trailer brake and check which hole the pin needs to be in, for a 45 its probably the one in front of the last one, they are quite close together its also the one for the 20’ loaded travelling position on some trailers but not all.

Next thing to do is to retract the pins there will be a button to push for this, or if its a line swapper you will need to swap the red airline onto the far left suzie (as you look at it).

Now the pins should retract or you may need to wiggle it a bit by rocking backwards and forwards a little to release them. Also make sure air is built up.
Then simply slide the traiker as close to the position as possible, get out pull pin button out then jump back in and drive forward or backwards (depending on where you were to start with) till the pins lock in. Dont try and line up the holes exactly as you could be ages, once the pin finds its hole she will slide in with a reasuring bang and a little jerk.

Now set trailer for a 45, slide out the suzy bar towards the cab, the bumper at the back also extends out but wait till your ready for your 45’ box before doing this.

The twistlocks you will need up are the very front ones and the ones at the back of the trailer, drop all the others down.

Now release trailer brake and away you go.

Oh and always check both side of trailer to ensure pins have found their holes, nothing worse than thinking your in the hole but finding out your not (thats what she said).

Apologies if this is confusing im hung over.

Dipper_Dave:

yt03:

Cheers

Trailers vary a little but the information on which pin position is usually written on it on a sticker.

As its gonna be dark and early heres some basics that might help.

First thing to do is apply trailer brake and check which hole the pin needs to be in, for a 45 its probably the one in front of the last one, they are quite close together its also the one for the 20’ loaded travelling position.

Next thing to do is to retract the pins there will be a button to push for this, or if its a line swapper you will need to swap the red airline onto the far left suzie (as you look at it).

Now the pins should retract or you may need to wiggle it a bit by rocking backwards and forwards a little to release them. Also make sure air is built up.
Then simply slide the traiker as close to the position as possible, get out pull pin button out then jump back in and drive forward or backwards (depending on where you were to start with) till the pins lock in. Dont try and line up the holes exactly as you could be ages, once the pin finds its hole she will slide in with a reasuring bang and a little jerk.

Now set trailer for a 45, slide out the suzy bar towards the cab, the bumper at the back also extends out but wait till your ready for your 45’ box before doing this.

The twistlocks you will need up are the very front ones and the ones at the back of the trailer, drop all the others down.

Now release trailer brake and away you go.

Thankyou for that, thought I’d ask or I could been attempting it for a long time in morning… Am guessing the pin button will more than likely be with the park button on trailer then?? Be glad when I leave that ■■■■■■■■ of a place!

The pin button could be with the park button but could also be at the front os of the trailer, or anywhere really.

Dipper_Dave:

Who? The missus?

Much appreciated dipper dave.

Evil8Beezle:

Dipper_Dave:

Who? The missus?

No just a kiss and cuddle today as im feeling romantic and laying the groundwork for a clingfilm session later on.

Dipper_Dave:

Evil8Beezle:

Dipper_Dave:

Who? The missus?

No just a kiss and cuddle today as im feeling romantic and laying the groundwork for a clingfilm session later on.

Do you have to make your own sandwiches then?

Also check your 5th wheel is far enough back so the cab and container don’t come into contact when you turn

chester1:
Also check your 5th wheel is far enough back so the cab and container don’t come into contact when you turn

I think my fifth wheel is right back but I’ll double check, cheers pal

I thought it was Skeletal :neutral_face:

Suedehead:
I thought it was Skeletal :neutral_face:

Im really not arsed what it’s called to be fair… :unamused:

Nice to see companies sending drivers out fully trained!

Well thanks to DD I now know how to extend a skelly, and I’ve lots of new tricks to try out on the wife. :smiley:

James the cat:

Dipper_Dave:

Evil8Beezle:

Dipper_Dave:

Who? The missus?

Do you have to make your own sandwiches then?

I do now, whilst looking deep into my lovers eyes and clutching a roll of industrial clingfilm my advances where definitely not welcome. She uttered the now standard remark in these situations: “get that away from me, you’ve been on that bloody trucknet forum again haven’t you”.

Gangan:
Nice to see companies sending drivers out fully trained!

Shocking company mate… Handed notice in on Friday so the punishment week has begun haha