Sleeping in cab on ferry

aol.co.uk/news/2019/03/26/s … -on-ferry/

I have thought about doing this myself as i have no interest in the free meal voucher and mingling with the great unwashed for the channel crossing.
Does anyone do this?

There’s quite a few that do, if deck staff ar’nt paying attention, then hop on bed, pull centres, lock doors go to sleep.

Great, if you like the sound of car alarms echoing off steel in an enclosed area :frowning:

Try it on…

A really rough crossing. No better way to see exactly why they chain them down.

I’ve done it on a short channel hop but would never think to do it in the Irish Sea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do it and get a good deep sleep.
depending on the boat then its not exactly vital.
the caen boat frinstance is a decent cabin,decent enough grub,and nice music to wake up to.
at the other end of the scale,the birkenhead/belfast boats are 8 hours in prison with the option of drowning.
you get tannoyed to death for the first hour.
guaranteed your cellmate will have had a cpl beers,have a shower at midnight,pish all night and then 2 hours before getting turfed out,your doors are getting banged to get the truckies up and out so they can finish early with similar tannoying constanty.
or,the alternative.
kip in your bunk,set your alarm for 7 and 1/2 hours after you feel them drop the clutch and awake refreshed half way up the mersey with the flipflops taking the chains off the trailers.( remember your pish bottle)
if the boat tips over then your going to drown like a rat i a trap anyway,so it might as well be in your own bed. :smiley:

Load of Horlicks.

dieseldog999:
do it and get a good deep sleep.
depending on the boat then its not exactly vital.
the caen boat frinstance is a decent cabin,decent enough grub,and nice music to wake up to.
at the other end of the scale,the birkenhead/belfast boats are 8 hours in prison with the option of drowning.
you get tannoyed to death for the first hour.
guaranteed your cellmate will have had a cpl beers,have a shower at midnight,pish all night and then 2 hours before getting turfed out,your doors are getting banged to get the truckies up and out so they can finish early with similar tannoying constanty.
or,the alternative.
kip in your bunk,set your alarm for 7 and 1/2 hours after you feel them drop the clutch and awake refreshed half way up the mersey with the flipflops taking the chains off the trailers.( remember your pish bottle)
if the boat tips over then your going to drown like a rat i a trap anyway,so it might as well be in your own bed. :smiley:

This. Always do it on Pembroke/Fish guard and Holyhead boats. In summer on Brittany I stay downstairs too as I’ve no interest in sharing a cabin with 3 or 4 irritating drivers! Often do it on Dover Calais too unless I want a shower

sorry to be an old ■■■■, but i would never ever sleep in the truck on a ferry…never have done…i would prefer to give myself time to save my self should it go ■■■■ up…many have before…the herald, the one that lost its bow doors on route to tallin, probably a few more.

I’ll tell you what I wouldn’t do…

Stand THERE!!!

Done it many a time.
I would sometimes end up doing 2/3 night crossings a week (caen or le havre) and as above if i didnt need a shower i’d be asleep before we left port and fresh as a daisy [emoji85][emoji85] on arrival.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ziltoid:
I’ll tell you what I wouldn’t do…

Stand THERE!!!

That’s novel, a ship on the A75 :laughing:

truckyboy:
sorry to be an old ■■■■, but i would never ever sleep in the truck on a ferry…never have done…i would prefer to give myself time to save my self should it go ■■■■ up…many have before…the herald, the one that lost its bow doors on route to tallin, probably a few more.

Its just a matter of calculating risk. The risk of a ferry sinking these days is miniscule. And as anyone who does sleep in truck on ferry will tell you there are always deck hands downstairs with you milling around doing various tasks. It’s very safe. In fact there probably much more risk involved driving the next day after a broken nights sleep because your cabin mate snores followed by being woken up an hour and a half before you dock

Each to their own switch eh !! so be it. :smiley:

I’ve never wanted to stay in the cab but a couple of times the wagons are packed in so tight I can only just about get out the bloody cab, and am only a little bit tubbyv :blush:

Not a chance, just a crazy idea to even think about staying on the car deck on a ferry…

Have you guys forgot the Herald Of Free Enterprise??

truckyboy:

+1 Snap.

Why would you not want to chill out upstairs on deck ? or use the toilet,watch tv ,shopping ? and just get away from the truck for a few paid hours ,you could use the cabin or not use it , or even talk yes Talk to some one !!! (that’s my view) I have sailed hundreds of times )

Martin:
Not a chance, just a crazy idea to even think about staying on the car deck on a ferry…

How could we, half of us missed it by a matter of minutes. I would have been on it myself but I was on the beer with Johnny five-combs, and ding-dong bellend, after getting a secret medal for the embassy siege a few years earlier.

Martin:

And also why would you think about working in a office block.

Have you people forgotten about the twin towers■■?

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk