Sleeping in a non sleeper

Any portable, foldable (compact as possible) contraption to make my life easier? It seems I’ve been partially demoted to a rigid driver courtesy of falling trade volumes so some nights there won’t be a bunk as the luck of draw has it.

Sorry, should’ve clarified - not a night out, just a 40-50 minute nap during my break on a night shift, lol. It really makes a difference for me vs. coffee especially those last 2 hours

ETS:
Any portable, foldable (compact as possible) contraption to make my life easier? It seems I’ve been partially demoted to a rigid driver courtesy of falling trade volumes so some nights there won’t be a bunk as the luck of draw has it.

Nights out in a day cab?
An hotel springs to mind.

“Daily rest periods may be taken in a vehicle. However, it is expected that the vehicle has suitable sleeping facilities for each driver and the vehicle is stationary. Suitable sleeping facilities in a vehicle are considered to be a bunk or other type of bed which is primarily designed for sleeping on. If a vehicle has no suitable sleeping facilities then other arrangements should be made, for example, a hotel, hostel, guest or boarding house, chalet, static caravan or rental accommodation.”
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

If your truck has no proper bunk, you can`t have a daily rest period in it.

ETS:

You can’t sleep in a day cab. If they want you to night out they have to provide accommodation. If that ends up being £120 a night at a Premier Inn at a MSA when you run out of time then so be it.

Day cab - theres a clue in the name mate .
If you do it I hope you at least put the tube of lube on expenses.

NO NO NO its Hotel /Motel / B&B where agreed n/o allowance goes out the window, keeping any receipts or leave enough time from your last drop off to get back to base in your drive time.

It’s doesn’t say about nighting out in a day cab, it’s about sleeping in it, perhaps while waiting to be un/loaded ?

It’s illegal, and I’ve actually seen them checking recently, they had a lad in a 7.5 tonne overnighting in a day cab in the local lorry park.

Nevermind just seen the edit. Carry on lol.

Dav1d:
It’s doesn’t say about nighting out in a day cab, it’s about sleeping in it, perhaps while waiting to be un/loaded ?

You need to re read the post then !!

ETS:

Sorry, should’ve clarified - not a night out, just a 40-50 minute nap during my break on a night shift, lol. It really makes a difference for me vs. coffee especially those last 2 hours

That clarifies what you meant,its something you will have to live with,cushion /pillow against the door remember to lock your door.

ebay.co.uk/itm/193743387203 … media=COPY

Not sure if she comes included but there ya go. :smiley:

And if you work for a firm who cares they may even buy you it.

You’re welcome :smiley:

Backrest back as far as it goes then a cardboard box folded out, used to work for the 7.5 toner boys on their 45 it can then be folded back up and put behind the seat

remy:

You’re welcome :smiley:

I like his ‘after market insulation’’ that would not have made a ■■■■ if difference to the below freezing in cab temperature when we all used to do that.
At least it would stop the condensation off the steel cab wall making your sleeping bag wet,like the Fiat I used to drive in those days did.
Couldn’t imagine the present generation doing that these days…and hey, quite rightly so, they have more sense than we ever had.
Thing is it was the norm in those days we knew nowt else.
I could not believe my luck my first night in a proper sleeper, pure luxury in comparison…still no night heater though. :unamused:

robroy:
Hammock for inside day cab truck, for tired drivers, by Highway Hammocks | eBay

Not sure if she comes included but there ya go. :smiley:

And if you work for a firm who cares they may even buy you it.

I dare say I could get quite comfortable on one of those!

My first “sleeper cab” was a Bedford TK. It had a shelf behind the seats. I used to keep my case of maps on it during the day, and sleep on it at night. “Luxury” :smiley:

SWEDISH BLUE:
My first “sleeper cab” was a Bedford TK. It had a shelf behind the seats. I used to keep my case of maps on it during the day, and sleep on it at night. “Luxury” :smiley:

Same here :laughing:
My mate used to come with me,.I’m 6’ 1’’ he’s 6’ 2’', him on parcel shelf, me across seats and my Jack Russell dog on floor : :open_mouth:
Parked at Aldgate E London one night after a usual rough night out in the infamous ‘Red Lion’ :laughing: (is that pub still there btw)
He woke through night and complained about no room so he stuck his feet out the window and it ■■■■■■ down,.woke up to see him wringing sleeping bag out soaked. :smiley:
Good days,.different job but good (AND bad in some ways) in comparison to today’s ■■■■ rat race. :unamused:
What we would have given in those days then to kip in the Topline Scania he drives today …and yeh even the Craptros that I put up with.

DVLA on that truck.
Vehicle makeBEDFORD
Date of first registration August 1975
Year of manufacture 1975
Cylinder capacity 5420 cc
CO₂ emissions Not available
Fuel type DIESEL
Euro status Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available
Export marker No
Vehicle status Untaxed
Vehicle colour BLUE
Vehicle type approval Not available
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight 7490 kg
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 8 October 1985

Another one here that has kipped on the parcel shelf of a TK, I did have the luxury of a decent custom made foam mattress though!

The days also, when some drivers used newspaper as curtains - frozen to the windscreen in winter!