sleep?

hey guys i start my first shift on nights tommorow which is fine but im unsure what to about sleep. do i stay up all night tonight n sleep all day tommorow or do i go 2 sleep at say 2am get up at 6 am and then return to bed in the afternoon at say 1pm n sleep while 5.30 to b ready for work at 6.30? any advice would b appreciated

When I did perm mon to fri nights 9pm to 7am I did this -

Sun - bed at midnight
Mon - up early at 6am bed at 4pm to 7pm
Tue - bed at 8am up at 4pm
Wed - bed at 8am up at 4pm
Thu - bed at 8am up at 4pm
Fri - bed at 8am up at 4pm
Sat - bed at 8am up at noon - bed at midnight
Sun - up at 8am bed at midnight

This was in my much younger days - I cannot do nights now - sleep pattern is set at about 10pm to 6am - tried it a while ago but ended up like a zombie within 36 hours

cheers rog i think thats the best idea because il b fresh 4 my shift at 6.30 then .n i can always have a nap on my break or is that not a good idea?

hyper26:
i can always have a nap on my break or is that not a good idea?

It isn’t a bad idea but try not to have more than 15 - 20 minutes. That is the ideal length for a nap, any more and you risk going into too deep a sleep and you will actually feel worse for sleeping longer if that happens.

If you begin to struggle drink a coffee, coke or other caffeine drink, take a 20 minute nap and as you wake up the caffeine will just be kicking in and you’ll be good to go.

hyper26:
cheers rog i think thats the best idea because il b fresh 4 my shift at 6.30 then .n i can always have a nap on my break or is that not a good idea?

Some drivers can have up to an hour nap ona break and feel relly refreshed but others find it sends them the other way

All you can do is to try it and find out…

When I used to do 10pm till 10am, we had some drops that could be done overnight with no-one there and others that didnt open until 6am - 7 am.

I used to belt off all the overnights as fast as I could and grab a couple of hours, or more if I could. :laughing:

Obviously your deliveries are probably going to be different, but I found grabbing a kip when I could, not only sorted me for the remainder of the shift, but also I didnt need as long in bed during the day.

My main problem was that this job fell in the school holidays, :imp: KIDS!!! ARRRGGGHHH :imp: :laughing:

its only the trunk for ryss davies run from wakefield to tdg at rotherham from there down to tamworth services trailer swap with the guy from cardiff back up to wakey load for peterlee then back to wakey so obviously a lot of driving more than manual labour speaking of tdg rotherham does anyone know where it is?

this it??

Tdg > Distribution in Rotherham
Tel: 01709 526894 - Tdg Uk Ltd Aldwarke La, S65 3SR

im not sure mate it looks as if it could be the 1 there cnt b that many in rotherham il update tomoz wen i know 4 sure

most of my current shifts run from 1700 to about 0500.
i get home about 0530…watch some telly from the previous night thats on sky+ and go to bed about 0800----0900ish latest.
get up at about 1530…get ready for work and go about 1620.
when it comes to weekends(or days off as the case may be) i stay up all day.on my first day off.then bed at night,im tired by then so i sleep.

Dont know where TDG is in Rotherham but if it is Aldwarke Lane watch for the 12 foot bridge at Parkgate end…there are a couple of big warehouses down the road where the car wash is, maybe one of them? Only other place on Aldwarke is the steel works?