Nights

What do you guys do to sleep during the day?

I did one night (YEAH!!) Monday night, came home as was in bed by 4;30, was awake by 8;30!! turned down the next night cos I was shattered :frowning: I did have a costa Coffee at 02;00, but dont normally drink any caffine drinks nows (Mint tea :blush: )

I have always been the same, but work is work at the mo, dont want to turn it down, but wont drive if im tired…

Any magic potions??

Dark quite room and be tired in the morning.
If you don’t normally work nights you’re body clock is the biggest enemy to a good kip.

You can’t judge it on one night. You have to get into a routine. I have been doing nights for years and it takes at least a week to get your body clock to adjust properly. When I have rest days or holidays I get up about 5AM on the day I am due back to work, then go back to bed around 1PM and get up at 5PM, I
start at 7PM so I find that works for me. I find reading a book for about 20 minutes works.

I could do it when I was much younger 20s but not now.

Blackouts at the windows so no light at all and I was living on the top floor of a tower block - very quiet :smiley: :smiley:

Did mon to fri night then switched for the weekend

Been permy nights for about 8 years now :open_mouth:
Two weeks about and all the other daft shifts just don’t appeal to me , neither does traffic :laughing:

Been doing nights for years never had any trouble sleeping. Just got up half an hour ago, start at eight.

Can’t work days as I fall asleep at the wheel come three in the afternoon :laughing:

Love night’s, best shift, no gaffers, light traffic, done them 10 years would not change.

Get a hold of the foam earplugs, try and get used to them, it cuts out a lot of noise and you mostly hear just your own breathing.
Good luck.

You should have done the 2nd night,
and i guarantee you would have slept the next day.

I work at 2.30am so its neither nights nor days ,
and have learnt to function on a 2.5 hr kip3pm-5.30pm
and a 3 hr kip 10pm - 1am

Before this job i needed 10hrs kip a night :laughing:

Now i never get 5hrs straight even on my days off. :cry:
(9 month old baby sees to that)

I did 31 years of shifts and never got used to nights. I could do 12 hours and get to bed at 7.30, and be up again by 9. My son does my old shift pattern and sleeps like a baby all day!! Horses for courses, though I was told it’s better when you stick to permanent nights.
Personally I always fell asleep at 3am, including when I was driving a 400 tonne crane with 180 tonnes of liquid iron on my crane arms. I’ve also fallen asleep driving a shunting train( while I was stood up!) and a 50 ton dump truck while doing 30 mph :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: I don’t work nights any more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Never bothered me, could come in at 8am during the summer, go to bed kids running about the house, tv blaring away, doorbells going, telephone going and i’d sleep right through it.

Just get used to it.

if God wanted us to work at night he would have called it day

I used to do shift work…

Even then I could not sleep, usually only 3 to 4 hours max, always felt like poop…

But at last there is some work from an agency, so am gonna have to try and stick with it, esp cos i like the quiet roads…

I never had a problem - the only thing I couldnt do when on nights was say get in the house at 03.00 and go straight to bed - I had to do something such as watch sky+ or go on here.

I’m lucky in that I can sleep anywhere day or night - it used to worry me because I know that I wouldnt wake up should anyone be messing with the tanks or the load but it has its bonuses when you could only find a space in a layby. I also used to regularly have a 30 min kip directly outside freightliner at Felixstowe with the tugs and cranes banging about.

In the words of my Dad - I could sleep on a washing line :smiley:

I work nights mon-fri.

I get up about 9am on a monday morning and stay up all day before starting my shift at 7pm.

That way I’m tired tues am and will sleep all day, and consequently I’m set up for the week.

I also keep my eating habits the same as if I was on days.

So when I come in at 0530 I eat breakfast - cereal etc. Not going to bed on a full stomach.

Sandwich etc when I get up at lunchtime.

Proper evening meal late pm.

What might work for one doesn’t necessarily suit another.

It took me a while to work out the routine that I have.

I used to hate the thought of working nights. Now I don’t think I could work days.

I found nights more relaxed and quieter, but then as someone else said the numpty gaffers have gone bow- bows. :smiley: