Sleep Apnoea

I am just wondering about this…
I suffer from this, well not anymore as I am having treatment which is successful, but if there are any employers out there on the board I need to ask, would it put you off employing me as a driver?
I am going through training at the moment and would hate to waste all that money only to be knocked back because of this condition.
It does not affect any of my motor policies.
Honest replies would be appreciated.

i would really know for definately but im pretty sure that if treatment is working it wouldnt be a problem, hope this helps !

im sure if it was a problem it would have came up o the medical and you wouldnt be allowed to get a licence. if the treatments been succesful then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

ATT,

being honest if i owned a business and you applied for a job, along with another person without sleep aponea and you had a little bit more experience than the other but everything else was the same i would probably go with the other person without it. sorry to have to say that but companies would probably think about the financial impact if you were ever off for a length of time/ringing in sick.

my dad had sleep aponea and he suffered with it really bad. sometimes he would wake up, drive the car in to town, come back and then go straight back to sleep and not remember a thing about it when he woke up again.

what is your treatment for it?

he had to have oxygen when he was sleeping and he also cut out eating too much before he went to bed as this also affected his breathing. have you tried this? he didnt eat anything for about 5 hours before he went to sleep and he didnt feel as if his stomach was pulling his body to one side (he was a big fella) and his sleeping pattern improved a bit when he did this. sadly he died 5 years ago so i cant ask him any questions about it but i know he struggled at first. he did get better but his lungs and heart gave up in the end.

Giblsa:
ATT,

being honest if i owned a business and you applied for a job, along with another person without sleep aponea and you had a little bit more experience than the other but everything else was the same i would probably go with the other person without it. sorry to have to say that but companies would probably think about the financial impact if you were ever off for a length of time/ringing in sick.

my dad had sleep aponea and he suffered with it really bad. sometimes he would wake up, drive the car in to town, come back and then go straight back to sleep and not remember a thing about it when he woke up again.

what is your treatment for it?

he had to have oxygen when he was sleeping and he also cut out eating too much before he went to bed as this also affected his breathing. have you tried this? he didnt eat anything for about 5 hours before he went to sleep and he didnt feel as if his stomach was pulling his body to one side (he was a big fella) and his sleeping pattern improved a bit when he did this. sadly he died 5 years ago so i cant ask him any questions about it but i know he struggled at first. he did get better but his lungs and heart gave up in the end.

Thanks for your honesty. I have air forced into my nose whilst asleep via a …Was a mask but that didn`t work as it deprived me of oxygen so I have a special fitting on my nostrils, works a treat, I have never felt so good as what I do now, I must have had apnoea as a young man because I was always kicked off campsites for snoring etc. :laughing: The hospital seem to think that if I lose 2 - 3 stone in weight I will not have a problem, but I am not so sure.
The device that I use to pump the oxygen into my nostrils has a memory card/chip that actually measures how much and when the machine is used, so you cannot cheat it! All clever stuff now!
Many of the effects of apnoea have now gone too, my life is so much the better for the treatment. :slight_smile:

that is what my dad had, he used to complain that it hurt his nostrils but he had to use it. it is true that you will improve as you lose weight. my dad did and it was a good move as we got an extra 12 months with him.

try to lose weight mate, you know it will be good for you in the long run and do you the world of good, plus you will sleep a lot better.

do you find that you ‘moan’ in your sleep? it is as if you are trying to talk but just mumbling. if you do, if you lose weight, or become more active you will find you do this less and less and get a better nights sleep.

i am overweight and as an experiment i just ate very fattening things (kebabs, pizza’s, sweets, cheese sandwhiches) then went straight to bed for a fortnight and it felt as if my stomach was pressing on my lungs and i was not getting enough sleep in the night, if i slept on my side it was like my stomach was ‘pulling’ on my windpipe and stopping me from breathing properly, now i just eat a light tea and go to bed and i dont feel half as tired in the monring and sleep quite well. even though i have had tests i do not have sleep aponea but i belive that that is because i have learnt from my dads experience.

if you ever want to chat about it mate send me a pm and i will send you my email address.

now if i have a heavy meal before i go to bed i take the dog for a walk and try to burn it off a bit, or just do sit ups to get the heart pumping and there fore get your gastric juices working more.