Skip drivers

Hey up guys I’m looking at skip companies around my neck of the woods to see if anyone’s taking on.Now as I’ve not got any experience driving any type of skip Lorry can anyone shed any light on how difficult they are to drive,operate controls etc?whats the chances of getting took on with no experience on the skips?thanks Scott. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

scottythegeordie:
Hey up guys I’m looking at skip companies around my neck of the woods to see if anyone’s taking on.Now as I’ve not got any experience driving any type of skip Lorry can anyone shed any light on how difficult they are to drive,operate controls etc?whats the chances of getting took on with no experience on the skips?thanks Scott. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Was one of my best jobs driving a skip truck, easy to drive (brilliant turn on them) controls aren’t hard at all (arms up/down) extenders, rear hooks and legs’ that’s it basically… Just got to be careful with skips, and where you drop them :wink:

As said easy to manoeuvre due to their short wheel base but you’ll need that for all the drops on people’s driveways and small sites and narrow suburban roads, not my cuppa tea I will say.

A string hi viz vest must be worn. And you are not allowed to drive below 56 mph.

Whilst rolling a ■■■. Whilst steering with your elbows. Whilst on the phone. And reading a newspaper.

eagerbeaver:
A string hi viz vest must be worn. And you are not allowed to drive below 56 mph.

Whilst rolling a ■■■. Whilst steering with your elbows. Whilst on the phone. And reading a newspaper.

Simply get what you pay for. Unprofessional pay for an unprofessional job, majority of which are ‘signing on’ to make the wages up.

Honestly !

eagerbeaver:

Even though a newbie myself , in my experience that description is ■■■■■■■ spot on! :wink:

Decent hours varied work common sense an experience will enable you to get a lorry or a skip in and out of places you would never think it would go.
No RDC waiting rooms and super trucker morons won’t talk to you so all good

You do get a bit dirty from time to time.I would say go for it go out with an experienced driver for a half day and you will be good to go.There have been posts about this before on here ,put skips and tippers in the search box and enjoy.

eagerbeaver:

What about the obligatory can of ‘energy’ drink between the knees?

Frankly I’m ■■■■■■■ disgusted by the stereotyped views on here. :imp:
Why can’t anyone mention the benefits of the job?
Free (recycled) ■■■■ stash (you may have to rummage in the waste paper skip).
Scrap metal to top up wages.
Free fancy dress clothing (you may have to raid one of those Window licker charity bins).
Learn to play “super Jenga” with stacked skips.
Get cash bonuses from customers for letting them hide plasterboard and asbestos amongst the waste.

Thanks for all replies.i fancy a change been doing the same type of work since i started driving trucks. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Rubbish job…

:wink: :sunglasses:

Muckaway:
Get cash bonuses from customers for letting them hide plasterboard and asbestos amongst the waste.

serious question; is there an issue with “plasterboard” ?

Bluey Circles:

Muckaway:

It’s classed as ‘active’ waste now by the environment agency. But, believe it or not, gypsum is an ideal additive to heavy soils to condition the loam.

I think the main reason it was reclassified was to encourage it’s recycling.

Bluey Circles:

I think it’s because it’s easily recyclable. Only one skip firm around here will take it on the same skip as general waste and that’s only if it’s separated by something and on view.
The tipping and waste rules are stupid nowadays. Even inert (muck) tips have to be clay lined now, but why? The muck is “inert” it cannot break down so therefore there is no chance of it rotting and leaching out. I take our muck to several tips now because one doesn’t want any topsoil in it as the grass seed can rot, producing methane. Another wash the muck so don’t want any clay as the plant just spits it out as waste, another wants the address of the site at least a day in advance and the most local to us charge £100/load.
No wonder houses are so expensive.

el_presidente:

Bluey Circles:

Muckaway:

It’s classed as ‘active’ waste now by the environment agency. But, believe it or not, gypsum is an ideal additive to heavy soils to condition the loam.

learn something everyday … I have never heard it mentioned, I wonder if it is just an English thing (I’m ower the border)

busy doing quite a lot of diy at home, I have just been packing it into the wheelie bins, I did take some up to the council recycling tip, but the bloke there didn’t seem interested in what I was chucking into the skips, he just seemed to be getting his knickers in a knot cause i was in a van.
Who do you work for?
I’m retired
Why have you got a van then?
Cause I prefer vans
No you don’t
Builders arn’t allowed in here!
I’m not a buildr, I’m retired
No you’re not, you’re in a van, you look like a builder
Its my private transport
No it’s not, I have seen this van before
I’m retired, its my private transport
you’re not old enough, you shouldn’t be in here
We have you reg, you will get a letter
whatever, LOL

Bluey Circles:

el_presidente:

Bluey Circles:

Muckaway:

learn something everyday … I have never heard it mentioned, I wonder if it is just an English thing (I’m ower the border)

busy doing quite a lot of diy at home, I have just been packing it into the wheelie bins, I did take some up to the council recycling tip, but the bloke there didn’t seem interested in what I was chucking into the skips, he just seemed to be getting his knickers in a knot cause i was in a van.
Who do you work for?
I’m retired
Why have you got a van then?
Cause I prefer vans
No you don’t
Builders arn’t allowed in here!
I’m not a buildr, I’m retired
No you’re not, you’re in a van, you look like a builder
Its my private transport
No it’s not, I have seen this van before
I’m retired, its my private transport
you’re not old enough, you shouldn’t be in here
We have you reg, you will get a letter
whatever, LOL

I had builder in to do some drylining on my house. I saw him chucking the old plasterboard and offcuts into the skip and told him the landfill wouldn’t accept it…‘first I’ve heard of it’ said he…‘I’ll just hide it’…

Funnily enough, it wasn’t so hidden when it got tipped out and he had a phone call to come and collect it… :laughing:

These might need a new driver soon.
Sorry can’t provide name of the company where to enquire about a possible vacant possition

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36033602

el_presidente:

Bluey Circles:

Muckaway:

It’s classed as ‘active’ waste now by the environment agency.

It certainly is active when skip drivers don’t sheet it. :laughing:

Bluey Circles it’s the same in Oxfordshire. If you use a private van, or pickup you have to get a permit which is free, but you are limited to about 12 visits per year to the council tip. Boss has one registered to my company pickup but it’s just as easy to bring my junk to our yard and burn it. And it’s more fun. :laughing: