skely advice

when looking at a 20/40 sliders are there any pointers as to what can be wrong with them mostly the slider itself reguarding putting it rights am looking at the economy range around late 90s early 00s no perticular make

a slider is generally ok, they can look a bit tatty for the age you are looking at though.

the main things to look for on that age is the air bags, check for cracking around the bottom where it folds under, these can be expensive to replace (£100+ +VAT each), check the tyres and brakes.

the rollers (big bearings) where one part slides over the other part can wear out.

after that, just check the chassis for the usual stuff such as cracked welds.

if you need anymore info, PM me :wink:

are the rollers expensive to replace

don’t know, mi skellies are relatively new, never had to replace them yet.

as i said, check the air bags and tyres, if it needs a set of new air bags and tyres, that will be approx £2000 +VAT on top of the cost of the trailer :open_mouth:

if it is on drum brakes, the shoes are pretty cheap, but the deposit can be a bit much until you take the old ones back

also check its been serviced regulary as it should, mke sure it looks half freshly greased including landin legs, rollers all twistlocks are operative, also everything spanky said

if its on drums make sure the ‘s’ cams, slack adjusters an tha have been greased regulary and are in working order !!

been looking at a skeley today and i am interested in buying it i just need some info on the slider am not to sure of the make of trailer i think its raven the slider works by when you close the trailer down it locks into a set of jaws almost like a fifth wheel at the back end of the trailer i have never seen this setup before does anyone no anything about these are they any good

that sounds like a Raven Lock & Go.

they are not a bad trailer if they have been looked after, although, i myself prefer Dennison.

Raven is Paul and Kevin Raven, the last i heard, they were in with Ray Smith Group from Peterborough until they went bust at the end of 2007, early 2008, about 3 months after i purchased a brand new RSG EcoSlider trailer from them :imp:

i did have a few issues with the EcoSlider, but that was down to the design of it rather than the build

it did have lock and go wrote on the back of the trailer thought that was some sticker they just put on so they are ok are they you can get the parts for them

the first batch of raven ‘drop and go’ crane trailers weren’t the best from my experience. their skellys might have been better, but it took a few incarnations of the ‘drop and go’ before they got it right.

I seem to remember my ex gaffer having to get rollers for them made.

lee mat:
it did have lock and go wrote on the back of the trailer thought that was some sticker they just put on so they are ok are they you can get the parts for them

no idea about parts for them, although, things like air valves, brake shoes and such, you can get from most parts suppliers, you may have a little more difficulty in getting “dealer part only” parts

there is not a lot to go wrong with skelly trailers, but with the Lock&Go trailers, there is the complications of the 2 “fifth wheel” couplings, if they went wrong or got badly worn, i don’t know where you would get the spares for them from

thats whats putting me off

was an SDC trailer on fleecebay recently, just finished though, at £1500 no reserve, was about a year 2000 i think

keep looking on there and they will turn up

Dennison, SDC, Montracon, Freuhauf are all very good

lee mat:
been looking at a skeley today and i am interested in buying it i just need some info on the slider am not to sure of the make of trailer i think its raven the slider works by when you close the trailer down it locks into a set of jaws almost like a fifth wheel at the back end of the trailer i have never seen this setup before does anyone no anything about these are they any good

I used to have a Raven Lock&Go, 1999 vintage.
Advantages: The quick closing and opening operation, and a very thin chassis section over the fifth wheel which reduces overall height at the front.

Disanvantages: The pistons that operate the jaw mechanisms can be troublesome, the rollers can fail, but as long as they look ok and have had plenty of grease and you continue to grease them regularly (they have nips for a grease gun) they’ll be ok.
WARNING Under no circumstances ever run at speed with one of these trailers in the closed position, I’ve heard horror stories of these trailers hitting a potholes which makes the mechanism operate, and the trailer brakes come on which unlatches the lock, and the trailer then stretches, and the rear sliding section and axle bogie crash through the sliding travel bump stops and gets left behind on the road :open_mouth: .

it looks a good trailer pretty clean for its age (1999 ) looks like its been looked after think its been owned by hill hire when new can just make there sign writing out on it i would buy it if it had the norrmal setup on it should i let this put me off getting it

lee keep away from lock and go trailers mate, that is only the sound advise anyone could give you mate, go for a dennison or sdc, but def not a lock and go ,and try to get one on drums not disc

globby 480:
lee keep away from lock and go trailers mate, that is only the sound advise anyone could give you mate, go for a dennison or sdc, but def not a lock and go ,and try to get one on drums not disc

I would agree with globby, its over ten years old so unless its dirt cheap and your handy with spanners and a welder stick to dennison/sdc etc

12 months test good tyres pretty clean how much would you pay for it for it to be a good deal

Stick to Dennison or Sdc, Seen plenty of folk having trouble opening the trailer out to 40ft with a loaded box on with the old lock and go system. Your more likely to buy cheap and greif later with one of them. Like Globby says aswell get a trailer on drum brakes, cheaper to replace drums and shoes than discs and calipers :smiley:

lee mat:
12 months test good tyres pretty clean how much would you pay for it for it to be a good deal

How much a week is trailer rental now a days, £120 per week?, and whats the value of a 1999 Denisson?

Big Joe:

lee mat:

How much a week is trailer rental now a days, £120 per week?, and whats the value of a 1999 Denisson?

Maritime/Elite/Wincantons all charge £100 p/w for trailer hire, Hill Hire would charge less if they have got you on a long term contract agreement, that would be approx £65 per week

Lee, how much is the trailer? PM me if you wish

here is a 2000 Dennison

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKELETAL-TRAILERS … 20af716719

here’s another one that recently ended

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SDC-SLIDING-SKELE … 335a14d53e

this gives you an idea of prices to pay