SJ BARGH STOKE

Hi guys, just sorted myself out with a full time job at the Endon branch doing reloads at dairies on nights starting next month. Anyone work there or know anything about if they treat the drivers well or will I be wishing myself dead after the first week? Lol

Always wondered what they’re like to work for. Tackles specced well. Do let us know :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Will do. Done general haulage the past 9yrs and just really wanted a change, AND the bonus it I don’t have to look at a pump truck anymore, result!! :smiley: :smiley:

If on milk tankers watch out for imploding tankers, where the taps are turned the wrong way and the tank is written off by being sucked in, if somebody else has said they have done it, check it first .

From the job description I don’t know what’s involved but they do advertise at regular intervals for drivers for their, “Milk collections”.
I presume that is farm collections?

I presume that is farm collections?
[/quote]
Not doing the farm collections as it sounds too much hassle, just going to the daries straight trunks.

I know a couple of drivers who do milk near me but not for Barghs.

They say that dairy runs are a nice steady job once you know what’s what with working the tank and it is one of the better jobs to do. Unfortunately the money for this particular firm is on the bad side of atrocious which is a shame cos I’ve always fancied that type of work.

Farm collections, particularly in an artic = you will earn your money, certainly until you know the farms. Some love it but it breaks others, even good “general” drivers due to the usual reasons of access to farmyards, working a daft o’clock etc

Apparently all the farm collections are done by ridgids so at least it would be a little less hassle than trying to go to them in an artic I suppose but I’m just going to stick with doing the daries as it seems like a much easier life to me.

theringmonster:
Apparently all the farm collections are done by ridgids so at least it would be a little less hassle than trying to go to them in an artic I suppose but I’m just going to stick with doing the daries as it seems like a much easier life to me.

See a lot of wisemans doing the farms in class one,would of thought if they would only use the class 2 for those that ain’t accessible for proper hgvs :smiley:

90% of farm milk in NI is covered by artics.
4x2 unit and tandem axle tanker with rear steer can get into/out some REALLY right spots!!![emoji41]

Right few have tri-axle tankers with “setback” rear steers.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I would have thought the farm work was why they have so many tag axles specced.

How’s this going fella?

xichrisxi:
How’s this going fella?

I start on Tuesday this week, doing three days in house training to learn the basics of the job then Friday being taken to the main reload locations which is nice so I don’t have to find them myself for the first time then the following Monday & Tuesday go out on the road with another driver as back up to make sure I don’t screw up before I’m out on my own. All in all I’m quite looking forward to it actually which is something nice as I’ve hated my last job for the past nine years so I’m going to give this 100% and see what happens.

theringmonster:

xichrisxi:
How’s this going fella?

I start on Tuesday this week, doing three days in house training to learn the basics of the job then Friday being taken to the main reload locations which is nice so I don’t have to find them myself for the first time then the following Monday & Tuesday go out on the road with another driver as back up to make sure I don’t screw up before I’m out on my own. All in all I’m quite looking forward to it actually which is something nice as I’ve hated my last job for the past nine years so I’m going to give this 100% and see what happens.

Keep me updated please mate,seen they are still advertising and their new depot at Longton is less than a mile from my house.

By the way they must of seen this thread as they have really kicked in on the longton site now,loads of heavy machinery jcbs ect and work going on down there now.

Double post.

I think when the Longton depot eventually opens it will be a lot easier for everyone as the Endon depot is on single track with little pull-ins incase something comes the opposite way which I’m planning on being a nightmare going in & out of the yard but at least it wont be forever as I’m hoping the Longton branch will be up and running around xmas maybe all going well.

From what I can gather the initial training seems to be very efficient and everything is there in place to help the drivers settle in which I never had with any other previous job so that’s a breath of fresh air for once! :slight_smile:

It can be quite hairy going down Park lane with a fully loaded tank in winter, we call it the " cresta run" when it’s snowed or icy, a Few have jackknifed over the years .

Do you work there?whats it like?

Yes I work at the Endon depot on reload tramping , all depends on what you want from a job as to whether it’s your cup of tea or not . Money isn’t the best but the job is a piece of cake, can be pushed at times when it’s busy but take the rough with the smooth. Certainly don’t often max my driving hours out , steady work, good tackle . Mainly 1 or 2 deliveries a day, Takes about an hour and half to tip and wash a tank, mostly done by the dairy staff so your sat in the cab or canteen etc .

most physical part of the job is swapping trailers , no hand balling or pulling curtains back etc. It’s £30 night out . There are 2 rotas, first is 5 on 2 off followed by 5 on 3 off , the other rota is 6 on 2 off, I’m on the 5/2/5/3 one .

Draw backs, not Monday to Friday , you will be working a lot of weekends and bank holidays including Xmas and new year if your rota includes these days , trucks are set at 52 mph.

They do cpc in house as well so once a year you have the driver trainer come with you for a day , usually a trip from endon to droitwich and back to endon, so you don’t have to sit in a class room .

Happy to answer any questions you have .
It’s a steady job , yes better paid jobs out there but very few easier jobs .

My neighbours lad works for Bargh out of Ashbourne doing one load a day down to Acton and reckons it is better than the powder tank work he had before with Seafield and Lomas though perhaps not as well paid. As said before, the tank is cleaned out by dairy staff so he just sits in the cab. Downside is the ‘unsocial’ working days but he is single and happy to work Bank Holidays etc. Of course it may all change soon with Ashbourne depot (believe?) closing as he might be travelling to Stoke from Matlock which may mean he jumps ship but as it is as present he is content enough.

Pete.