Sitting on the bunk

Went to a job this morning as an agency driver, and they wanted me to go out 3man, with one sat in the passenger seat and one sat on the bunk. :open_mouth:

I was somewhat concerned with this, as its not a proper seat and with no belt etc, I phoned up the agency and had a word and they pulled me out saying not to risk my licence. The company claimed they do this all the time and not a problem. I asked the guy if he would drive his car down the road with a child sat on the parcel shelf? He wasn’t to impressed.

Anyways whats peoples opinion of this ? Was I just being an [zb] and should have just got on with it or is this totally illegal and dangerous ? I wouldn’t mind a guy sleeping in the bunk while I drove aslong as he had a seat to sit in if we got stopped. but theres no excuse for 3guys and 2 seats. :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

funny you should say that as that was what put me off with a driving school when i was learning, ended up going with a diffrent one in bickerstaffe that was just me and the instructor and they where great.

but i would gather that if there is no sufficiant restraint for the passenger it would be illigal , although what is the law on double manning with the passenger asleep on the bunk ■■?

No seat, no seatbelt, no go.

Doing removals this happens a lot, I would say it is down to personal choice in the end, as I am always driving I ain’t the one who will end up through the windscreen. I have had porters refuse to ride on the bunk, they would not get work when we needed someone to travel like this and would lose money.

I have been stopped by VOSA with 4 of us in the cab in the past and they weren’t bothered

jimti:
I have been stopped by VOSA with 4 of us in the cab in the past and they weren’t bothered

hmm intresting have we entered the relm of the grey area hmmm

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Okay, who on here has done the friday night service run at a big transport company? :laughing:

When I was on for MacFarlane’s we used to have competitions to see who could get the most drivers in a unit on the way back from dropping off a bunch of units for weekend service. Maximum I had was 7 including myself in a Topline. :laughing: One of the best laughs we ever had. :laughing: I await the lynchings. :laughing:

al_P:

jimti:

hmm intresting have we entered the relm of the grey area hmmm

I must admit the truck was old enough not to need seat belts when this happened :blush:

Lie can rope…your parked up in France for the weekend as some of us are and when we all get fed up of the bar we are using or get thrown out we decide to go down the road to the next one.10 in the cab…would you decide not to go because it was unsafe or would you tag along.

Armagedon:
Lie can rope…your parked up in France for the weekend as some of us are and when we all get fed up of the bar we are using or get thrown out we decide to go down the road to the next one.**10 in the cab…**would you decide not to go because it was unsafe or would you tag along.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Armagedon:
Lie can rope…your parked up in France for the weekend as some of us are and when we all get fed up of the bar we are using or get thrown out we decide to go down the road to the next one.10 in the cab…would you decide not to go because it was unsafe or would you tag along.

Kinda off topic I guess ? but drinking and driving don’t mix

As they say,“safety in numbers”

Lycanthrope:

Armagedon:

Oh dear…

I could spot that one coming from a mile off.

Lycanthrope:

Armagedon:

where did Armagedon say that the DRIVER would be drinking? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i was told by a traffic cop that it is illegal 3 points and £60 for driver and culprit. no belt no go

If it makes you feel uncomfortable then you did the right thing, especially as you don’t know whether they will cough up for the fine. I done it all the time when I done removals with 1 or 2 on the bunk. Halve the time neither the drivers seat nor passenger seat had belts in any case. I’ve also done the ‘cram as many drivers and nip into town’ approach.

Personally I think theres more to worry about in the job than whether or not a passenger is wearing a seat belt in a truck. I’ve just spent the past 6 months driving an old 143 which has no seat belts fitted. Both my son and daughter done hundreds of trips with me long before seat belts were fitted in trucks and never once went hurtling through the window. Dragging some scrote around for a day should be a breeze.

greggy:
i was told by a traffic cop that it is illegal 3 points and £60 for driver and culprit. no belt no go

Only in Northern Ireland do you get points for no seat belt. Its non endorsable in GB. The last time I got one it was £30, but I think its gone up to £60 now.

yup its £60

now every truck i,ve ever driven has only had 1 passenger seat {for 1 passenger} but how many of us older ones on here havent thought twice about taking the missus and kids for a ride out with them , school holidays etc, i know h+s have gone mad now but years ago you would have had the wife sat in the passenger seat, one of the kids asleep on the bunk and the other one sat so close to you he was practically on your shoulder cos he wanted to see what it looked like from the drivers seat! oh how times have changed

greggy:

Seatbelt offences are non-endorsable.

mrpj:

greggy:

Seatbelt offences are non-endorsable.

It’s not an offence for the driver if the passenger without a belt is 14+ either.

So does this mean if you are double manned you can’t use the bunk to sleep in as it has no seatbelt ? been doing that for years.

This is probably why iy is a grey area, personally I’d have jumped in and told them to wake me up when we got to our destination :smiley:

Right or wrong did you get paid for turning up ?