Side lights.or no lights

One of my pet hates is drivers (even some HGVdrivers) whom will not put dipped headlights on at dusk or dawn, they think because it is semi light and they can see that everyone can see them,. I was running through a fog patch this morning, I checked my mirrors in order to pull into the middle lane to let a motor out of the slip road, all seemed to be clear so I indicated to pull out…
I gave enough time for anything coming fast in the middle lane to flash and let me know they were there. seeing nothing I started to pull out, almost immediatly a silver coloured car with no lights at all was right alongside me with his hand on the horn doing at least 75MPH.
Luckily I could pull back in without causing problems …

when i worked at first bus they made you put your lights even in the day time they copied arriva because arriva found that when they started putting lights on during the day there where 25% less accidents and first bus found same. But some drivers didnt like because if u hit a pot hole it makes you look like u have flashed and someone make think u have flash them to let them out and then BANG. lol

Some years ago a mate of mine joined the police force, he told me that at driver training they were told that parking lights (side lights) were just that, for parking your vehical on unlighted streets,your lights should be on or off there is no in between, since i was told this i have noted that i have only once seen a police car driving around at dawn/dusk with it’s side lights on,

stampy:
Some years ago a mate of mine joined the police force, he told me that at driver training they were told that parking lights (side lights) were just that, for parking your vehical on unlighted streets,your lights should be on or off there is no in between, since i was told this i have noted that i have only once seen a police car driving around at dawn/dusk with it’s side lights on,

I had an Audi 100 donkeys years ago and if you put the right hand indicator on when the ignition was off, it lit one side of the car up, Golfs had it too, though not sure if they still have it, a good idea in theory though

Years ago there was a slogan"SEE AND BE SEEN" that still stands today more than ever.

It’s a pet hate of mine. Not often I credit our American friends with getting something right language-wise, but they do call them “parking lights” and use them as such.

The other thing that gets my goat, 'specially at this time of year, is the number of cars driving round with one headlamp. You can bet your sweet life if it was one of us VOSA would be on us like a ton of bricks, but the plod don’t seem to bother with cars, probably not worth the paperwork or they don’t get any bonus points for it.

And finally; the ■■■■-heads who put their rear fogs on in the morning when driving to work, and forget to switch them off when they drive home! :imp:

People driving around with rear fog-lights on [zb] me off somewhat

same applies to those idiots who have their front fogs or spots on

simple answer :slight_smile: do what we do on this side of the pond. Daytime running lights, they come on automatically when you start your vehicle. Only problem is you get the odd few who forget to turn their rear lights on when it gets dark. And as for rear foglights, we dont have them so much over here.

It is perfectly legal to drive with just sidelights on in the middle of the night in a 30 zone with street lights.

Front “fog-Lights” some say they are “driving” lights, they are not, :confused: :confused: HATE THEM!!! some cars they actually look like they got lights on full beam and it dazzles you.

Rear “fogs” on I give them a little flash of the Main beam see if they spot it, if they dont I leave them on for a minute, they usually realise and switch off. So who actually knows what MINIMUM visibility the Highway code/common sense says put them on■■?

Steve-o:
It is perfectly legal to drive with just sidelights on in the middle of the night in a 30 zone with street lights.

Sorry your wrong on this one , its never legal to drive on side lights, anywhere.

on car rear fogs never use
front fogs on country lanes can be useful

You would think that vehicle construction regulations would make it impossible for this situation to arise.Surely with the ignition off they should default to sidelights only and when the engine is running they should default to full headlights.It’s anyone’s guess as to how these idiots will cope with Daytime Running Lights when they become compulsory in the next few years.One thing which I have been guilty of and it embarrasses me is driving with the main beam on because the blue warning light in my Mondeo dashboard is so difficult to see.

hitch:
on car rear fogs never use
front fogs on country lanes can be useful

Useful, yes, but legal NO. My husband got fined for using front fogs on an unlit country lane with road works and mud and stone debris on the road. He thought it safer to use them,but the police thought otherwise.

rocky 7:

Steve-o:

Sorry your wrong on this one , its never legal to drive on side lights, anywhere.

direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr … /DG_070302

mrpj:

rocky 7:

Steve-o:

direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr … /DG_070302

Make sure you can back up what your saying :wink:

You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

[Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched :sunglasses:)]

Clarky:
Front “fog-Lights” some say they are “driving” lights, they are not, :confused: :confused: HATE THEM!!! some cars they actually look like they got lights on full beam and it dazzles you.

Rear “fogs” on I give them a little flash of the Main beam see if they spot it, if they dont I leave them on for a minute, they usually realise and switch off. So who actually knows what MINIMUM visibility the Highway code/common sense says put them on■■?

When im on my bike, i give a tap on the window and tell them/point to the rear lights to let them know.
Only done when at traffic lights or in traffic, but the driver normally then searches around to try and find how to turn them off.
I never really get how they put them on when they end up searching around for them :confused:

Or on the other end of the scale, the C/Ships driver whom no matter what the weather or time of day runs with his headlights on ALL THE TIME

Luckily I could pull back in without causing problems …
[/quote]
Why did you pull out in the first place then ?