Sick bonus Scheme

Our firm operates a sick bonus scheme, whereas if you don’t use any sick days in the year then you get a £250 bonus at the end of the the period. Now in my opinion this is encouraging you to come into work when you are feeling under the weather and may not be 100% fit too drive. If you take the sick leave option you lose the bonus as you have taken a sick day, if you come into work and pass your sickness on to everyone else, then you will get the bonus. Seems a bit counter productive to me.

Report them to the TC. Coercion is illigal.

So ideally if you are sick then best thing to do would go in work,drive 30 mins down the road…park up tell them you are unfit to drive,job done…bonus in tact as you haven’t rang in sick from home.

Sounds like yet another start of the process to eradicate even more employee’s rights, to take us back to the pre Union Victorian era, the right to be off work when sick, and the right to receive payment (paltry with the crap firms and full with the top end ones)
So what’s new?

I would prefer to choose my health over money anyday…so if your so worried about £250 at xmas, then dont go sick…if you worry about your health…then get your body fixed…at least you will get paid for being sick…you cant have it both ways.

Probably designed to encourage the snowflakes who wake up with a sniffle and need a day in bed with a rub from mumsy to get their lazy arse into work.

Course £250 is neither here nor there if your really I’ll and I’m barely fit to drive when I’m well anyway so being ill makes little difference.

But there’s a judgement call to be made by each individual and they must also consider any medication that will affect their ability to operate today’s modern vehicles.

For me a sniff of Charlie and I’m good to go…
[FFS, for any general public reading this I don’t sniff Charlie as he won’t let me anyway and I certainly don’t take recreational drugs on a school night.]

A good balance to this policy would be for anyone who has had time off sick they could make this time up and keep the bonus.

What seems really unfair about the whole scheme is the fact that I myself am rarely ill, even full of cold I still go to work, the unfair thing is that a lazy driver who rarely pulls his weight would get the bonus if he never had a day off, whereas you could get a driver who is a right grafter like me and only goes on the sick for genuine reasons then miss out on the bonus. Now £250 doesn’t actually sound a lot but it is if your not getting it and all others are. I get your point D_D and I am sure it is for the snowflakes why it was first introduced.

Go work in retail. Most supermarkets have decent sick pay schemes which pay full basic pay (excluding shift premium) for quite a while based on length of service. Even relative newcomers get a few weeks where I left.

Play the system and have a sympathetic gp and you can easily get an extra 6 or more weeks off a year extra holiday.

Turn up all year even if not feeling a 100% and you get a letter from the store manager saying thanks, same again this year please.

Leaves you wondering why you should bother…

UKtramp:
What seems really unfair about the whole scheme is the fact that I myself am rarely ill, even full of cold I still go to work, the unfair thing is that a lazy driver who rarely pulls his weight would get the bonus if he never had a day off, whereas you could get a driver who is a right grafter like me and only goes on the sick for genuine reasons then miss out on the bonus. Now £250 doesn’t actually sound a lot but it is if your not getting it and all others are. I get your point D_D and I am sure it is for the snowflakes why it was first introduced.

Careful, Damon… err, Joe… err, Tramp. You’re slipping back into your old ways with that one.

UKtramp:
I myself am rarely ill, even full of cold I still go to work

STAY AT HOME…

I don’t want your germs, cold or any other infection you may be harbouring.

It’s that kind of ‘heroics’ that spread the common cold and influenza around this country quicker than the RMT take strike action.

robroy:
Sounds like yet another start of the process to eradicate even more employee’s rights, to take us back to the pre Union Victorian era, the right to be off work when sick, and the right to receive payment (paltry with the crap firms and full with the top end ones)
So what’s new?

Same as the approach some drivers have to e.g. Night Out money - if you get into the mindset of including NO money, attendance bonus, accident bonus, fuel bonus etc as part of your basic wage, then yes, you’ll feel aggrieved when for whatever you don’t get it (and your pay is reduced to the paltry just-above-NMW level that is so common in transport).

LOL, in the USA truck drivers get no sick pay in general, my company is a rare exception in the fact that we are allowed 2 sick days in a year from January to December, you don’t actually have to be sick and I have booked my two days for Monday and Tuesday of next week already because I don’t fly back to the USA until Tuesday afternoon.

UKtramp:

You’re contradicting yourself. In your o.p. you complain that it encourages ill drivers to drive when they shouldn’t. And now your admitting that you do so yourself.

And in your thread about loss of night out money, you deride the trampers who complain about losing £100 a week…

Pat Hasler:
LOL, in the USA truck drivers get no sick pay in general, my company is a rare exception in the fact that we are allowed 2 sick days in a year from January to December, you don’t actually have to be sick and I have booked my two days for Monday and Tuesday of next week already because I don’t fly back to the USA until Tuesday afternoon.

How much holiday entitlement do you get?

the nodding donkey:

UKtramp:

You’re contradicting yourself. In your o.p. you complain that it encourages ill drivers to drive when they shouldn’t. And now your admitting that you do so yourself.

And in your thread about loss of night out money, you deride the trampers who complain about losing £100 a week…

I don’t stay off work for no reason like having nothing wrong with me, but if I were genuinely sick and couldn’t work because it would affect my driving or concentration then I would stay off. The bonus is £250 for no sick days off,it encourages people to work when genuinely sick who may have their driving affected. If I have a light cold or just don’t feel myself then I will still turn in if it doesn’t affect my driving. The loss of £22.50 per day night out money isn’t an issue as I am not away. It would affect me and I would be out of pocket if I was expected to be having nights out with no night out expenses. I am happy enough not to be out this week so not complaining as I am not out of pocket, my hours are still the same and my rate hasn’t changed. I am commuting so it has added to my expenses but most of the lads are local so they are really unaffected.

yourhavingalarf:

UKtramp:

STAY AT HOME…

It’s that kind of ‘heroics’ that spread the common cold and influenza around this country quicker than the RMT take strike action.

Your immune system needs to be exposed to outside influences in order for it to work properly on your behalf. If you lived in a sterile bubble for a while your immune system would be weaker and less able to fight off infection. Think of it as the immune system gym!

UKtramp:

the nodding donkey:

UKtramp:

I don’t stay off work for no reason like having nothing wrong with me, but if I were genuinely sick and couldn’t work because it would affect my driving or concentration then I would stay off. The bonus is £250 for no sick days off,it encourages people to work when genuinely sick who may have their driving affected. If I have a light cold or just don’t feel myself then I will still turn in if it doesn’t affect my driving. The loss of £22.50 per day night out money isn’t an issue as I am not away. It would affect me and I would be out of pocket if I was expected to be having nights out with no night out expenses. I am happy enough not to be out this week so not complaining as I am not out of pocket, my hours are still the same and my rate hasn’t changed. I am commuting so it has added to my expenses but most of the lads are local so they are really unaffected.

Like a politician, waffle waffle waffle, without answering or addressing the points put to you.

TiredAndEmotional:

yourhavingalarf:

UKtramp:

STAY AT HOME…

Your immune system needs to be exposed to outside influences in order for it to work properly on your behalf. If you lived in a sterile bubble for a while your immune system would be weaker and less able to fight off infection. Think of it as the immune system gym!

One of the reasons I never get a flu jab, if I get it and get over it, I more or less don’t get it again, well not for a while anyway.

TiredAndEmotional:

My immune system works…

Just fine. It protects me from everyday bugs that surround my food, the air I breath and the nasty things that lie in MSA bogs even after I’ve washed my hands. My system has developed by itself for over 50 years now and works very effectively without me prompting it.

What it can’t handle are strains of virus that are randomly distributed by self centered ego junkies who just have to ■■■■ up to the boss by attending work whilst carrying a varitable arsenal of bugs that my anti-bodies can’t deal with.

If they didn’t distribute the cold and flu virus in the first place, I wouldn’t get it and have to take the appropriate amount of time off work.

When I worked for a large bakery company (Sunblest) . It stated in the contract that we had with Marks &Spencer that any staff with infectious ailments were to be sent home .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk