Shunting

I’ve been asked to do a couple of days shunting (all on site) and just wondered how do I record my time? Or do I even need to?

I would say ask your employer.

Legally if you aren’t leaving the yard then no records required. if you drive (on the road) on subsequent days in that same week you will need to carry records of that work (just name, date and start and finish times)

Your employer should be wanting to account for the mileage so maybe use the tacho ‘out of scope’.

I’ll be using a Terberg thingy

Are you prone to bouts of extreme sarcasm, and been wearing the same baseball cap for the last 20 years?

If so, the job’s yours. As regards recording your time, do what you want. Every other shunter does.

Question mark on manual entry, simples [emoji16]

eagerbeaver:
Are you prone to bouts of extreme sarcasm, and been wearing the same baseball cap for the last 20 years?

If so, the job’s yours. As regards recording your time, do what you want. Every other shunter does.

How come you know our favourite shunter?

I do believe all our yard shunters use a digi tacho card.

Pimpdaddy:
Question mark on manual entry, simples [emoji16]

A letter of attestation will also suffice.

I used to cover shunting for holiday and sickness in my last job and I did enjoy it especially when all the international deliveries used to come in it was always comical to watch them.

Anybody ever noticed that the drivers that give shunters stick are the ones that are jealous of how well they can reverse?

albion1971:
Anybody ever noticed that the drivers that give shunters stick are the ones that are jealous of how well they can reverse?

Can’t say I have. :confused:

Anyone with an issue about reversing, should put it behind them.

Suppose you could in a spare moment slip your card into a road lorry every couple of days and update with manual entries.

Edit, i see its only two days anyway, in that case just do a big manual entry when you finish on the second day or when you start back on a normal work day.

Congratulations on your temporary promotion as I’m sure you know shunters are second in command just below the MDs of any company…or at least that’s what they’ll tell you :smiley:

When I’ve done the odd day shunting I just stick my card in a wagon at the end of my shift everyday and record my breaks for that day before I go home,saves having to try and remember to do it the next days or days after.

bald bloke:

albion1971:

Can’t say I have. :confused:

+1
An ex colleague had shunted for a while using a terberg, when he wanted to go for an assessment back on the road he asked the tm to have a go on one of the 6x2s. Just because you’re a shunter doesn’t mean you can reverse.

eagerbeaver:

Coat, now…:laughing:

eagerbeaver:

I couldn’t reverse properly until I started using my mirrors only, …never looked back since.
Thank you very much :sunglasses:

ye Gods… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=p1GkR54wQaM

Coat on, just looking for my keys…

albion1971:

I spend one week out of every seven being a Terberg pilot. Tbh they flatter your reversing skills (or lack of :blush: ) the problem I have is that when I jump back in a “proper” lorry after the Terberg I’m bloody rubbish for the first attempt or so as it just won’t do what I want and expect it to do.

the maoster:

albion1971:

I spend one week out of every seven being a Terberg pilot. Tbh they flatter your reversing skills (or lack of :blush: ) the problem I have is that when I jump back in a “proper” lorry after the Terberg I’m bloody rubbish for the first attempt or so as it just won’t do what I want and expect it to do.

I was just having a pop at EB for having a pop at shunters who are after all still lorry drivers.
Know what you mean when you say flatter your skills but you still have to be able to reverse and understand the concept.
Many years ago I trained car drivers to shunt for a major tyre company. It was a proper shunter but god knows what make my memory fails me.
Jumping from a shunter to a truck takes five minutes to adjust and vice versa in my opinion.

Again it’s usually all about attitude. Driver rude to shunter… shunter then rude to driver.
Driver polite and friendly and shunter polite and friendly. That’s generally the way it’s always worked for me.
Of course you always get the odd assole. :laughing:

I cover shunting at times think its a good number its something diffrent.On another note when i do it i just keep a note of my start finish times and thats all nothing else.

Just having a pop at me. Lol.

Don’t bother Chief, you are mentally under equipped to take me on.

How are your neighbourhood watch meetings going by the way?