Shunter wages?

How many times have you heard that shunter drivers are on really good money especially if they do 4 on 4 off or maybe 5on 3off 5th day as overtime. Been to Dhl this week and they were advertising £12 p/h 0700-1900 5on 2off. Overtime available. Others do 4days shunting and 5th day as a casual driver for the same company. And they say they would never stop what theyre doing cuz its easy, home every night, know start and finish times and so on.

Can anyone comfirm or deny that shunters are earning more than some of us do, especially me

Good day :slight_smile:

£29k 3 years ago Monday to Friday, 6-2 then 2-10, but the role was more than just shunting,
it was sorting drivers out, out of hours problems, minor repairs, roping and sheeting, and general dogs body

Good while it lasted,

They were advertising for one at a Nobbys place where i live…4 on 4 off…23.5 a year…

I know a shunter and he is on 30k a year, 8 hour shift. Mon-Friday 6am-2pm. He does every other Saturday to bump his wages up even more. Best bit is its not even a busy site, lucky if he has 30 moves a shift. Soon as he retires I’m putting in for it :wink:

Most places i’ve worked, the shunters are doing more or less as well as the drivers.

I’ll be honest, if a shunter vacancy arose somewhere I was working i’d be interested. Just imagine… knowing exactly when your shifts going to finish :open_mouth:

I was offered a class one driving job with a company doing nationwide deliveries at just £8 hour, they also offered a shunting job at £10 hour (Mon to Fri dayshift) with a guaranteed 50 hour week. :open_mouth:

Shunting can potentially be non stop rushed off your feet, but have to balance that out with a known finish time and no interaction with VOSA or dealing with stroppy customers.

Spoke to a shunter driver down at daventry tesco and he said that hes on good money. But never said what he was on. Cheeky bastrad :slight_smile: he said apply and found out for your self. Any ideas what he could be on? He said they need two drivers one for days one for nights. Both 4 on 4 off. Overtime if you want it

one of the trainers at b&q Swindon said their shunters are on about £34,000 per annum 4 on 4 off,i was also told getting a job there as a shunter was dead mans shoes

Shunters need a good wage to pay for the dentist, that 90% of them are in dire need of.

And to replace the baseball cap they’ve had on for the last 20 years.

Trucker8oy:
How many times have you heard that shunter drivers are on really good money especially if they do 4 on 4 off or maybe 5on 3off 5th day as overtime. Been to Dhl this week and they were advertising £12 p/h 0700-1900 5on 2off. Overtime available. Others do 4days shunting and 5th day as a casual driver for the same company. And they say they would never stop what theyre doing cuz its easy, home every night, know start and finish times and so on.

Can anyone comfirm or deny that shunters are earning more than some of us do, especially me

Good day :slight_smile:

When Stobarts opened a depot at the new Goole Tesco RDC must be 8/9 years ago, I was shunting there for Stobbies and it worked out £11/hr for 6pm-6am with an hour of breaks a day, 4 on, 4 off.

Trucker8oy:
he said that hes on good money. But never said what he was on. Cheeky bastrad :slight_smile:

Maybe he was lying, like most of them do.

The shunter at our place is on £12 per shift more than the drivers. He does a 4 on 4 off shift pattern, and earns £630 per week, every week, gross.

However, he generally looks very busy.

ezydriver:
The shunter at our place is on £12 per shift more than the drivers. He does a 4 on 4 off shift pattern, and earns £630 per week, every week, gross.

However, he generally looks very busy.

Well to take home about £500 for four days is not bad is it. Home everynight and no driving in london :smiley:

When i did relief shunting at woolies rochdale was on nights and pulling roughly 630 for 6 x12 hr shifts but that was 10 years ago

Trucker8oy:

Our shunters do 4 x 4 and are on fractionally more than us drivers.

bald bloke:

Trucker8oy:

Our shunters do 4 x 4 and are on fractionally more than us drivers.

Common theme it would seem.

I have noticed that shunters generally don’t seem to move around much & you don’t see many vacancies arising. The job appeals to me tbh, I like being busy and theres probably a bit of job satisfaction attached to it when you know your getting everything sorted. Plus you have set shifts.

Might have to start looking & asking more.

eagerbeaver:
Shunters need a good wage to pay for the dentist, that 90% of them are in dire need of.

And to replace the baseball cap they’ve had on for the last 20 years.

Being the most miserable sour faced git on the yard seems to be a pre-requisite for shunting applicants

Nice when it’s dry :wink:

Depends on what the shunter vehicle is i suppose as well, when i did it i just used whatever spare unit was about or the one that needed to be attached to the trailer for the next driver. So plenty of winding legs and attaching lines/leads. Compared to proper shunters where they barely leave their seat to fit a line and pick the trailer up with the legs down.

mrginge:
Depends on what the shunter vehicle is i suppose as well, when i did it i just used whatever spare unit was about or the one that needed to be attached to the trailer for the next driver. So plenty of winding legs and attaching lines/leads. Compared to proper shunters where they barely leave their seat to fit a line and pick the trailer up with the legs down.

Well yea, i’d want a gig with a proper tug. Must be murder shunting all day with a spare unit.

peirre:
Being the most miserable sour faced git on the yard seems to be a pre-requisite for shunting applicants

To be fair to shunters, if your busy with loads of trailer movements to do I bet it gets bloody frustrating in a busy yard when drivers are abandoning their trucks all over the place, dumping trailers in the wrong spots when you’ve just got it organised, or blocking the whole yard for ages whilst they open their doors and then make a meal of a straight forward reverse.

Some are just jumped up little hitlers though.