Should there be an Apprenticeship

Should there be a full 2 or 4year apprenticeship for Trucking to up skill the new generation coming into the Trade. I see a real lack of skills an a non existent knowledge of the very basics in the yard before they even head out on the black stuff. This is scary, I’m curious as to know the general consensus on it,should we have a total reform on the training of this job bcos from wat I’ve seen the current way there so called training/handing out licenses is madness an frightening for the future!

FFS it’s not that difficult. 2 or 4 weeks maybe.
What have you seen and I’ll tell you if it was examined on test?

There is currently an apprenticeship that lasts a year is there not.

Not really sure why it needs to be that long.

Newstart90:
There is currently an apprenticeship that lasts a year is there not.

Not really sure why it needs to be that long.

Cheaper labour for a longer period of time…?

I have always said there should be proper driver training. I dont mean how to point the thing but all the other skills that are required like securing loads properly and tacho operation etc etc.

No

Maybe around 2 weeks training after you get a licence to learn the fine points,.with attention paid to driver courtesy and empathy etc.
Definitely a probationary period of a year where you need to take a re test if you make a major ■■■■ up due to incompetence, …but 2 to 4 years?
Nah.

No , I did a 5 yr apprenticeship, all paid for by company ( rolls Royce ) , I left not long after I came out my time , all that time , money they paid out & they got nothing for it , at a guess my papers have been in cupboard gathering dust for 30 + yrs
Daughter in a way did the same , all her training as a nurse was paid for by Grantham ( lincs nhs ) , soon after she qualified she up sticks & works at hospital in notts
Unless I guess part of apprentiship was agreeing to work for company for x amount of years
Though I know lads who have worked there whole life at the same firm after doing a apprenticeship with them , wife has done 30
Yrs + at Grantham hospital

2 or 4 years :exclamation: :open_mouth:
What the ■■■■ would you teach them in that time?? :laughing:

drover:
2 or 4 years :exclamation: :open_mouth:
What the [zb] would you teach them in that time?? :laughing:

Teach them how to wear ear phones properly, pull the curtains forward to you can’t see what’s coming.
What hoody to wear and how to have it right over your head , then finally see how close you can get to the truck in front .
I’d say couple of mins should do it no 2-4 years

There was an apprenticeship of sorts many years ago, many drivers started out going with Dad at school holiday time, that stopped when Elf and Safety came in, companies banning passengers, delivery points banning kids, you reap what you sow.
We didn’t need to be taught load security, rope and sheeting was accomplished before you left school, I suspect how to read bridge heights was instilled at a young age as the amount of bridge strikes that happen nowadays, is unbelievable.

Washwipe:
There was an apprenticeship of sorts many years ago, many drivers started out going with Dad at school holiday time, that stopped when Elf and Safety came in, companies banning passengers, delivery points banning kids, you reap what you sow.
We didn’t need to be taught load security, rope and sheeting was accomplished before you left school, I suspect how to read bridge heights was instilled at a young age as the amount of bridge strikes that happen nowadays, is unbelievable.

Yes I agree. I learnt the trade that way and my father before me same way I think it’s a big loss all the bans an restrictions it certainly hasn’t helped the situ.

Washwipe:

Really? Are you sure? Kids that went out with their Dad learned load security and how to rope and sheet. Sorry but I never knew one school kid that could rope and sheet never mind anything else. And never once did I as a kid think about bridge heights. Stop dreaming. :wink:

As far as apprenticeships go if more drivers took responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming others and took pride in what they do then we may find standards improve without any apprenticeships.

Just look at the lack of basic highway code from some on here. :unamused:

jakethesnake:

Washwipe:

Really? Are you sure? Kids that went out with their Dad learned load security and how to rope and sheet. Sorry but I never knew one school kid that could rope and sheet never mind anything else. And never once did I as a kid think about bridge heights. Stop dreaming. :wink:

As far as apprenticeships go if more drivers took responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming others and took pride in what they do then we may find standards improve without any apprenticeships.

Just look at the lack of basic highway code from some on here. :unamused:

I agree about taking pride in wat u do would definitely be a starting point but we also need a properly structured training ground to cover all the types of work that Truckers in the Trucking industry do. I think if a tiling aprenticeship is 2year well then a trucking apprenticeship should be at least that.

Was doing dollies at 12 years old, could rope a sheet at fifteen, strangely even though I don’t need to do dollies I can still do them, must have done something right as I haven’t lost owt yet.

Folks may not be as keen to put themselves through their licence to get paid an apprentice wage for a number of years.

The industry hardly attracts the creme de la creme due to pay, working conditions etc, so you get what you pay for to an extent.

At the end of the day the true numpties that somehow managed to pass the test, but aren’t up to the job, will get found out one way or another. However, I don’t think we should shoot down anyone that struggles in the first few days.

properly structured training ground to cover all the types of work

Maybe individual companies should invest in training their drivers in whatever type of work they do. Too big a task for any training company I reckon.
Probably a good idea but it won’t happen as nobody likes to spend money anymore. :wink:

Washwipe:
Was doing dollies at 12 years old, could rope a sheet at fifteen, strangely even though I don’t need to do dollies I can still do them, must have done something right as I haven’t lost owt yet.

Reckon you are one in a million Washwipe. Good on ya.

An apprentice lorry driver for 3 years?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Now don’t get me wrong but in this day and age of curtain siders, auto boxes and power steering, not a great deal to know other than strapping down loads using ratchets, chains etc. so possibly you could spell that out over a week or so similar to the CPC modules. I fail to see how someone could say they are a time served lorry driver and everyone else must be cowboys who havent gone through such in depth training. You could possibly do a sleeping in the cab and how to look after yourself for 5 days without your mother, but 3 years? Seriously.

Yorkshire Tramper:
An apprentice lorry driver for 3 years?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Now don’t get me wrong but in this day and age of curtain siders, auto boxes and power steering, not a great deal to know other than strapping down loads using ratchets, chains etc. so possibly you could spell that out over a week or so similar to the CPC modules. I fail to see how someone could say they are a time served lorry driver and everyone else must be cowboys who havent gone through such in depth training. You could possibly do a sleeping in the cab and how to look after yourself for 5 days without your mother, but 3 years? Seriously.

You could say the same about engineering , do you need 5 years to learn about machining / welding / fitting etc , but you’d do time in classrooms / time down the main factory , phase tests , time in the offices , learning planning etc
I guess a small firm you couldn’t , but the likes of dhl I’d of thought there’s plenty of scope to learn things other than just driving the lorry