Should reduced daily rest of 9 hrs at base be abolished?

As title. Discuss.

Some drivers live an hour’s drive from the yard.

12 on 12 off, keep it simple

Yes, I’ve no problem with 15 hour spread-overs that finish at base, but the shortest rest period at base should be 11 hours even if it doesn’t fit into the 24 hour period.

I agree min break at base should be 11 hours.

LASHHGV:
I agree min break at base should be 11 hours.

Agree. 9 hours imho is fine if you’re kipping in the truck as you finish and start at work, but 9 hours when you’re at home is too short imho. By the time you’ve got home, had a meal, unwound and got a shower you’re down to about 6 hours sleep (max) before needing to get up again and travel back to work. :frowning:

I’ve refused to do a 9 at base . As its been said 45m each way food shower bed cuts into your 9 .

tachograph:

Yes, I’ve no problem with 15 hour spread-overs that finish at base, but the shortest rest period at base should be 11 hours even if it doesn’t fit into the 24 hour period.

THIS ^^^^

Cannot happen how will firms make money if the driver is at home for extra 2 hours, only office staff can have time off.

mac12:
Cannot happen how will firms make money if the driver is at home for extra 2 hours, only office staff can have time off.

Tired drivers are less productive losing the company money, and putting themselves and others at risk.

dar1976:

mac12:

Tired drivers are less productive losing the company money, and putting themselves and others at risk.

So drivers don’t get tired working 85 hours a week

Not sure if im lucky or not but if im back at the yard for 9 or 10 off i just stay in the lorry but i know this probably isnt an option for some. Im ok with 9 off, but my biggest gripe is lack of rest time at the weekend, lately ive been constantly shattered!

Abolished? Never should have been allowed in first place
H & S should look at the correlation between short rests and early morning crashes that are the norm these days

9 hours off is fine at base or away. if you live too far from base and cry about being home every night, do another job or kip in the lorry.
far too many nancy boy, can’t do, won’t do people in this job nowadays.

What I don’t get is the Working Time Directive states that any adult working is entitled to an 11 hour rest period between shifts.

Yet this doesn’t seem to apply to truck drivers, which if anything I would have thought would be enforced!

A tired driver is a dangerous driver and <9 hours rest means you won’t get enough time to rest.

madmossy:
What I don’t get is the Working Time Directive states that any adult working is entitled to an 11 hour rest period between shifts.

Yet this doesn’t seem to apply to truck drivers, which if anything I would have thought would be enforced!

A tired driver is a dangerous driver and <9 hours rest means you won’t get enough time to rest.

WTD (not RTD) does say entitled to but not MUST HAVE and I think that is the issue

The law allows for a driver to reduce to 9 when at base and if legal to do so many employers will roster the driver to do just that
OK, the driver could keep saying no but how long would it be before they are shown the door !!

An addition too the current rules is needed that makes clear it is only the driver who can decide to reduce at base and not the employer OR that when at base a driver is not allowed to start again until X amount of rest has been taken even if that does not fit in with the 24 hour period
The second idea would still leave the current rules in place … unless I missed something …

i’ve also refused to have a 9 hour rest at base, regardless of if i live 15 minutes away or 1 hour away, 9 hours minimum in truck, 11 at home,

madmossy:

The problem with the WTD is that it is optional .Why have a rule that can be opted out of by the employee .

My problem with the 9hr break is that it means i can drive

MON> 10hrs drive >9hr rest> tues>10hr drive >9hr rest >wed>9hr drive >9hr rest

Any one with half a brain can see that ,that configuration will lead to a tired driver but i bet a few have done it ,and it’s even worse for those drivers who mix van driving and driving on a tacho in the same week as i do

Saaamon:
Not sure if im lucky or not but if im back at the yard for 9 or 10 off i just stay in the lorry but i know this probably isnt an option for some. Im ok with 9 off, !

I do the same as you, but I do think that it should be altered, I agree with blokes going home needing commuting time, also it would stop hauliers bringing trampers into the yard during the week and as ocasionaly happens standing them there for the night to save night out money/parking charges. No longer would they say go in morning with that, it’d allways be will you run even if its only half hour up the road, just so you could conform to the 9 hr break away from base. Maybe its about time break was taken as its duration and not by the 24 hour day aswell so 11 hours is just that no matter how long a day you’ve worked, so it would be 3 extended days, and three reduced breaks, or along them lines.

My problem with the 9hr break is that it means i can drive

MON> 10hrs drive >9hr rest> tues>10hr drive >9hr rest >wed>9hr drive >9hr rest

Any one with half a brain can see that ,that configuration will lead to a tired driver but i bet a few have done it

Done that very configuration this week, but here is the thing, I must be wired different to you, because I’m absolutly fine, even with no start later than 0415 this week. That is along the norm, got just under 3 hrs left on my fortnights driving and I’m about 2.30 from the yard, sorry, I’ve not fallen asleep once whilst typing this post.

So I’m saying that you want the rule altered because it doesnt suit you, but not everyone is you, others can work perfectly well as the system is at the moment, doesnt mean that the rules dont need changing, but lets ask for changes that may suit all, and not question the brain capacity of those who work differently, but still within the law :wink:

I absolutely agree driveone i even refused to have a nine away from base, then all the other drivers started doing it, then they would say how comes he does it, and we cant till i told them that the LAW states a driver must have 11hrs off between shifts ( forget about reduced rests )
As you rightly say, it eats into your journey home, food, shower, a bit of peaceful time to yourself, and then its back to work, with about 6 hrs actual rest, so how is that for tired driver syndrome, and hopefully someone will actually state this when running into the back of a stationary car, with 5 kids inside, ( bit ott ) really, but yiou get my drift. There are far too many drivers on the road today, all complaining of excessive tiredness, of course that doesnt help when at a RDC, he cannot get some ZZZ`s whilst being tipped, that right has also been removed form our itinary, so hopefully, someone will read just how dire the situation actually is, maybe that also accounts as to why there are fewer persons applying to become HGV drivers.

Would keep 9s it all depends what sort of work you are doing but 9 hours in a layby or industrial estate is plenty a bit different for guys who don’t live in their lorries but for those of us who are out for a week or two being able to take 9 off is a big help for getting the job done. Has to be something wrong with the planning if you are on day work and continually having to take 9 off and does it not say “driver may reduce his rest to 9 hours” I would take it from that the driver has the say after all it doesn’t say " the planner may reduce the drivers rest to 9 hours"!!!