Should I buy my own unit

Hi All,
Should I go ahead and buy my own unit !! and what is the best to pull for, I was thinking bulk,anyone out there that pulls for a bulk company and what should I expect say for a load from Sussex to Manchester or Liverpool ! and what would be the rate from UK to France or Belgium :bulb:
Or maybe fridge work !!
Advise would be greatfully recived :laughing:
Cheers…

I think you would be better posting this in the owner operator section to get a better result, not that you will of course… Lol

I think you need to get your head examined.

fuel prices at an all time high long established hauliers going to the wall one after the other credit crunch double dip recession!!!What a cracking idea you go for it

miketdt:
I think you need to get your head examined.

+1.

rob.jonesno1:
Hi All,
Should I go ahead and buy my own unit !! and what is the best to pull for,
[/quote]
Cart before horse springs to mind, find your work before you consider what unit you need!!

del trotter:
Cart before horse springs to mind, find your work before you consider what unit you need!!

Exactly that. Find out what work you can get, how reliable it is and how much it pays, then start doing the maths on whether it would pay enough to make it viable to put a vehicle on the road.

‘Do I need an operators licence’…

rob.jonesno1:
Hi All,
Should I go ahead and buy my own unit !! and what is the best to pull for, I was thinking bulk,anyone out there that pulls for a bulk company and what should I expect say for a load from Sussex to Manchester or Liverpool ! and what would be the rate from UK to France or Belgium :bulb:
Or maybe fridge work !!
Advise would be greatfully recived :laughing:
Cheers…
[/quote]
No.

I think he can save himself all the hassle of loosing thousands of £s, save himself from the mental anguish and sleepless nights it will cause, by putting the money behind the bar at the next TN xmas party. Then at least hell have got something for his money

I drive for a farmer doing bulk haulage and they have said to me if they had to pay rates they wouldnt still be running!Being farm based thy dont have to pay them.Bulk haulage is paid per tonne and to many people are under cutting because those with ten plus trucks really are struggling.We were leading from Cranswick near Driffield to Hull dock on a boat job and were getting £4.50 a tonne but it wasnt really worth doing as you were sat about to long.Someonne came along and knocked a quid off and he got all the loads on the saturday.The bloke i work for wont undercut like that they have been doing the job to long.The rates out of Liverpool arent really that good whch is why we run back from manchester into Yorkshire and do two or three local loads.One subbie got £7.50 a tonne from Liverpool back to Flixbrough near Scunthorpe.There are to many people trying to fight for the same work and what with the cost of fuel etc i would say just dont bother!!! Whatever line of work you choose you are going to struggle with so keep your cash until things pick up

Bud143:
We were leading from Cranswick near Driffield to Hull dock on a boat job and were getting £4.50 a tonne but it wasnt really worth doing as you were sat about to long.

That’s not a bad rate at all but you still need to get 4 in per day to make it pay which can be a struggle with boat jobs, especially if the weather is against you.

Bud143:
The rates out of Liverpool arent really that good whch is why we run back from manchester into Yorkshire and do two or three local loads. One subbie got £7.50 a tonne from Liverpool back to Flixbrough near Scunthorpe.

The rates out of Liverpool back to Yorkshire are shocking but as far as I can tell that’s mainly because there is a lot goes from Yorkshire to Manchester/Liverpool and not a great deal comes back so they still get the work covered even at those low rates. I was offered £6.30/ton to do a load from Liverpool to Pickering the other week. I didn’t take it, said it should be nearer 8 or 9 quid and got laughed at… Liv-Flix at £7.50 doesn’t seem too bad on that basis as it works out at £1.80/mile if you can get 29t on.

Paul

Will you tell your customers to keep coughing up for the fuel escalater.

Bud143:
I drive for a farmer doing bulk haulage and they have said to me if they had to pay rates they wouldnt still be running!Being farm based thy dont have to pay them.Bulk haulage is paid per tonne and to many people are under cutting because those with ten plus trucks really are struggling.We were leading from Cranswick near Driffield to Hull dock on a boat job and were getting £4.50 a tonne but it wasnt really worth doing as you were sat about to long.Someonne came along and knocked a quid off and he got all the loads on the saturday.The bloke i work for wont undercut like that they have been doing the job to long.The rates out of Liverpool arent really that good whch is why we run back from manchester into Yorkshire and do two or three local loads.One subbie got £7.50 a tonne from Liverpool back to Flixbrough near Scunthorpe.There are to many people trying to fight for the same work and what with the cost of fuel etc i would say just dont bother!!! Whatever line of work you choose you are going to struggle with so keep your cash until things pick up

Thank you
The only descent answer I have had …

That’s what I said, I just condensed it into one word.

stagedriver:
‘Do I need an operators licence’…

Dont take the P…ss if you can’t give a decent answer well DON’T BOTHER …

Haha - Welcome to TNUK :smiley:

Repton if you expect people to reply you should have your email address on here so people can!

The rates out of Laa land have never been that good.As for doing 4 load on a boat job it wont happen because frontier put to many people on the job so you are sat about to long.We were sat around approx two hours on Hull dock each load and it was sunny.The grain merchants just wont pay good rates.It pays more to run back empty to do two into Sherburn or Selby after tipping in Manchester than it does running an hour into laa land for a load back to Fridaythorpe.

rob.jonesno1:

Bud143:

Thank you
The only descent answer I have had …

Appropriate that you call it a descent answer, as that what it sounds like you will be doing. If you want us to tell you to go buy a new Actros, OK we will.
But if you want advise from guys who actually run their own trucks, then maybe it won’t be what you want to hear.