Should I buy a 2015 Iveco?

Considering to buy an Iveco (2015 Stralis 460 6x2 around 350,000 km).
Drivers, I need to know your opinions on this truck. I really like the price but will it break down soon? Please share your experiences.

At the moment I have a Daf XF but it’s been a headache lately, so I’m looking for another brand. Yes, I would absolutely love a Volvo but I am on a tight budget :frowning: .

My experiences…

With them isn’t great. They are the last on my list when it comes to trucks I wanna drive.

The drivers door gap which seems to appear within days of a new one arriving in the yard.

Flimsy plastics that drop out, break off as soon as you go over a tiny bump.

Auto boxes that really struggle in prolonged heavy traffic.

Oil filling that involves tilting the cab.

Dashboard warning lights that come and go at random.

Dashboard light so bright at night I have to put something over it to stop the glare.

Uncomfortable mattress.

Well, you did ask.

We had 2 Stralis on hire when we renewed our fleet. They lasted 2 weeks and got sent back. Constant fault lights and being VOR’d, numerous breakdowns and no one had a good word to say about them.

We have 2 eurocargo 18t and they are just as bad if not worse. We got them as replacements for our Daf CFs because they made a massive cost saving on the rental. Christ knows how much we’ve paid in repairs and down time. But hey, I’m just a driver what would I know. Everything is about the initial cost these days with no forward planning.

Jessica:
Considering to buy an Iveco (2015 Stralis 460 6x2 around 350,000 km).
Drivers, I need to know your opinions on this truck. I really like the price but will it break down soon? Please share your experiences.

At the moment I have a Daf XF but it’s been a headache lately, so I’m looking for another brand. Yes, I would absolutely love a Volvo but I am on a tight budget :frowning: .

If the DPF goes its £4k :open_mouth: and thatwas on a 16plt last year

I drive a 460 NP (4x2)

It’s an ok drive. Depending on the unit that is. We have one with terrible steering . Mind of it’s own . I can’t hold a croissant and a coffee if i have it.

The other’s have various fault warnings from ebs , indicators, bulbs which come and go. The radio unit has started to turn itself off. Shut the door and the trim fell off.

The cab is ok for a week or two away . The fridge is ok, the storage is ok.
The dealer network in europe are friendly and accommodating. On first name terms with the workshop in Bourges.

Get what you pay for i guess. i am just a wage slave. My firm just bought 10 Scania’s…

Dashboard light so bright at night I have to put something over it to stop the glare.

I know what you mean Mr.Larf…therefore if you go into settings on the screen you can alter the brightness to minimum and alter the day/ night setting. Works for me .

What about a Renault Premium?

Nowt wrong wiv a premium good puller and fit in small farms gate to but if tall bunk can tight fit to sleep

Tarmaceater:
Nowt wrong wiv a premium good puller and fit in small farms gate to but if tall bunk can tight fit to sleep

you are joking, one of the most uncomfortable pieces of rubbish I’ve ever had the misfortune to drive as are all Renaults

Magnums r goin cheep to clear bogof

I’ve just come off a 65 plate Renault T Range onto a 65 IVECO Stralis
I think the IVECO is a massive improvement over the Renault it pulls better the gearbox is smoother it’s got loads more storage space inside and outside the beds bigger (I’m 6ft 2 )but not as comfortable I’ve put a mattress topper on which has made it better also I use the top bunk to sleep
My only faults are there’s not enough 12/24v sockets and the fridge could be bigger and the curtains could fit better
Other than that I think it’s a good lorry
I’m out all week and I’m pleased with it

gazsa401:
I think the IVECO is a massive improvement over the Renault it pulls better the gearbox is smoother it’s got loads more storage space inside and outside the beds bigger (I’m 6ft 2 )but not as comfortable I’ve put a mattress topper on which has made it better also I use the top bunk to sleep
My only faults are there’s not enough 12/24v sockets and the fridge could be bigger and the curtains could fit better

I would also agree the IVECO is a much better truck than the Renault, IVECO build quality is flimsy but they pull well cabs aint too bad inside just the brakes can be a bit spongy at max weight

I did a few weeks agency work for ceva in 2017, I was in a different unit every day, all the units were less than a year old but all looked absolutely filthy inside, it’s like the seat and lining materials attract dirt.

Can’t remember what engine they were but they pulled really well… stopping was another matter, awful brakes with no feel

spike78:
I did a few weeks agency work for ceva in 2017, I was in a different unit every day, all the units were less than a year old but all looked absolutely filthy inside, it’s like the seat and lining materials attract dirt.

Can’t remember what engine they were but they pulled really well… stopping was another matter, awful brakes with no feel

probably were all filthy, driving by a different immigrant every day YUK no thanks

robthedog:

spike78:

probably were all filthy, driving by a different immigrant every day YUK no thanks

Probably true mate although the beige coloured seats showed up all the suspicious stains :open_mouth:

robthedog:

gazsa401:

I would also agree the IVECO is a much better truck than the Renault, IVECO build quality is flimsy but they pull well cabs aint too bad inside just the brakes can be a bit spongy at max weight

Just come out of a 16 plate Hiway and found the brake the opposite of spongy, always felt like nothing there and have to press hard to get anything. More like pressing on glazed brakes than spongy. Was a 500 and pulled very well especially as we mostly run at top weight. Was averaging mid 7 pulling a 15ft walking floor and running a pto for it.

I agree on the sockets and the curtains (used to bulldog clip them to the blind) ours was good on the mattress as the boss had bought better ones, plus taken the top bunk out at fitted them with lockers on the back wall. Fridge in ours was bigger than I’ve now got in the Volvo.

To be honest that truck changed my view of Iveco’s, which wasn’t good, I’d not be disappointed in driving one in the future but for now I’ll stick with the new FH globby I’ve been given :grimacing: :grimacing:

OwenMoney:
I know what you mean Mr.Larf…therefore if you go into settings on the screen you can alter the brightness to minimum and alter the day/ night setting. Works for me .

I know what…

You’re saying. I must be a sensitive flower, I was talking about the dimmer being at the lowest setting. Put it this way, one of the best features of a Volvo is the ‘black panel’ setting, which is everything on the dash blacked out.

Last time i drove an Iveco was a Stralis, fast pulled well but yes flimsy and terrible arsetronic gearbox programming, unbelievable having to tilt the cab to put oil in, you just know that the oil will have been let run low on previous general fleet work.

Consider MAN, the EGR only 440 engines should all have blown up and been scrapped by now, try and find a 480, yes the cab trimmings could be more durable but the engine is strong and the drivetrain tough, also the tractor is comparatively light if weight is an issue.
Make sure there is manual control option of the auto box, some delivered programmed for eco mode only, no manual control and they are flat and frustrating to drive, eco can be programmed out but will cost to get it done.

robthedog:
you are joking, one of the most uncomfortable pieces of rubbish I’ve ever had the misfortune to drive as are all Renaults

You’ve not driven a 2015-2020 Merc Actros have you?

Conor:

robthedog:

You’ve not driven a 2015-2020 Merc Actros have you?

Don’t think he has ,
Been driving an 16plt Actros this week with knackered cab mounts :cry: My back is still sore as every big bump the cab came down with a heavy thump