Should I Be Bothered?

The place where I work are going to fit new trucks with all round cameras in the cab, and in the fridge and freezer compartments; General talk is I’m getting one of them, yet I’m not bothered if I am being filmed, yet a few drivers are. The job’s the cleanest and healthiest I’ve ever done (plenty of exercise and a cycle ride to and from work), I already drive one of the newest motors because I looked after an old nail I was originally given, and it’s the best paid job I’ve had. I take home what I used to gross on the tippers.

Muckaway:
The place where I work are going to fit new trucks with all round cameras in the cab

Yes you should :bulb: …,.and if all drivers made a stand against it, it would not happen…, but drivers being drivers do not, so it does. :unamused:
All the bs in the world about ‘reduced insurance premiums’ and ‘‘cameras are everywhere so what’s the difference’’ and the usual old mantra from the spineless ("What’s to fear if you’re doing nothing wrong’’ :unamused: ) or even the best rate of pay in the UK would not make me put up with that crap.
It’s a step too far in the whole cluster ■■■■ of over monitoring in this job, not to mention a downright ■■■■ liberty.
I would just jack the whole thing in tomorrow fact.

Nothing to hide, nothing to bother about.

Ive no issue with dashcam or outside cctv but in the cab is a no no from me. It’s not about hiding either, it’s about the notion of privacy and trust although thankfully my lot are still rather old school in this regard.

lolipop:

I rest my case. :unamused:

They tried this were i work did not last they were taken out of the cabs.They said that because so many drivers said they’ll refuse to drive them they said not worth the hassel.

Colin_scottish:
They tried this were i work did not last they were taken out of the cabs.They said that because so many drivers said they’ll refuse to drive them they said not worth the hassel.

I just wish our lot had the same balls to object to some of the crap that we’re dished out :unamused: but not a chance, bent over and cheeks parted to make it easier for them. :unamused:

If you are not bothered you are one of the very few.

You do not have to accept them, hopefully you are in a union, contact them promptly, quietly, don’t want the company to know at this stage so don’t let the company yesmen/grasses in on your plans) and they’ll help you fight them, and yes you can win, the Unite area reps are dead set against this complete invasion of your personal space, don’t know how good the other unions might be.

In some ways it’s advantageous to keep quiet and let the company shoot themselves in the foot by not carrying out a correct impact assessment/consultation and having a data protection set of rules (which must be strictly followed) in place, but one thing you must be is unanimous in not being prepared to accept them, and be prepared to take whatever action necessary to fight.

I too will not drive with an in cab camera, but i suggest no one make it easy for them by simply leaving because it makes implementing them easier overall for the company, because the offer of a job to new recruits will involve agreeing to these things (you can be pretty sure in some places new recruits are agreeing to these things when they sign the contract, and when they have enough??), they’ll be very reluctant to sack anyone for not accepting them, and this is where letting them get some way down the road to fitting them can be your Ace in the pack, because in the event of an unfair dismissal tribunal the company failed to have an impact assessment and proper consultation and agreement with the staff affected and just fitted them causing all sorts of anguish to the affected drivers :bulb:

Stand together, preferably with the backing of a union, these things like so many others can be defeated if you are undivided.

Get on the govts own website, there is lots of information about these things on there already, that’s your starting point, that’s where i started when the time came.

If you want the things, or really can’t be bothered, and i can’t for the life of fathom why anyone would, then so be it.

robroy:

Colin_scottish:

I just wish our lot had the same balls to object to some of the crap that we’re dished out :unamused: but not a chance, bent over and cheeks parted to make it easier for them. :unamused:

To be honest rob to many drivers have a brown nose or a brown tongue nowadays.

Colin_scottish:

robroy:

Colin_scottish:

To be honest rob to many drivers have a brown nose or a brown tongue nowadays.

That’s definitely the case where I work, 80% too busy trying to impress and be the boss’s bezzie mate to stand up for themselves. .:unamused: ■■■■ cringeworthy sometimes.

Juddian:

You do not have to accept them, hopefully you are in a union, contact them promptly, quietly, don’t want the company to know at this stage so don’t let the company yesmen/grasses in on your plans) and they’ll help you fight them, and yes you can win, the Unite area reps are dead set against this complete invasion of your personal space, don’t know how good the other unions might be.

The TM said within the last year that these are coming, Unite in place, I’m not a member, the shop steward installed his own driver facing camera in his unit a couple of years ago, chances of effective union support for his members when the TM decides to push this through■■?

I’ve got front and side cameras and I’m not worried as they were fitted on the truck 2 years before I even drove it

lolipop:

Exactly this ^^^^. In fact I’m thinking about going one step further and having cameras fitted to every room in my house with a live feed to the interweb. Why wouldn’t I? After all I’ve nothing to hide.

Only if you are day running then unless the boss is having a camera installed in his bathroom bedroom etc so you can watch him

So for me not acceptable

The bit about the camera in the fridge should probably be everybodies clue that this is a wind up :laughing:

Vid:

Juddian:

The TM said within the last year that these are coming, Unite in place, I’m not a member, the shop steward installed his own driver facing camera in his unit a couple of years ago, chances of effective union support for his members when the TM decides to push this through■■?

As i’ve said so many times here in the past that people are already groaning cos they know what’s coming :smiling_imp: , the most important choice you will make as a union member is who you elect as shop steward.

Seeing as you are not a union member you have not only no choice in shop steward, you have no say or vote in a secret ballot for union action to fight these things if the union members decided to take action, but also you won’t have the backing of the union legal dept at tribunal time if you got the sack for refusing to drive with a driver facing camera.

Up to a point i can understand someone not being in the union, but by not being a union member you can never change anything including the steward… :bulb: :bulb: has anyone actually asked the steward the why’s and wherefore’s of his using the camera?..not as he’ll discuss this with a non member and that is his right I also don’t discuss union business with no members when they try to pry…but as an active union member of many years its annoying that because a company has union recognition and collective bargaining and almost universally better terms and conditions, and i see non members having no trouble trousering (and taking advantage) of the terms and sick pay etc that the union members have argued for and won over the years, and the non union crew are usually the first to complain the pay rise for example isn’t enough :unamused:

I’m not anti camera by the way, they can stick a score of the things around the lorry, the more the merrier, but i’m buggered if i’m having my own personal spy.

As for if you have nothing to hide from a poster above, oh please :unamused: , next they’ll be telling us the state broadcaster, the MSM and our PM all tell the truth

rob22888:
The bit about the camera in the fridge should probably be everybodies clue that this is a wind up :laughing:

Wot no camera to watch me fetch the milk out of me fridge to pour in me tea then watch me put it back again, missing a trick there :smiling_imp:

rob22888:

Nope, to do with security and stock control I believe.
This is the most “watched” place I’ve worked what with dashcams, fleetboard, webfleet and CCTV all around the depot but I genuinely don’t notice.
Regards to Unions, never had any time for them. If I have a problem with a firm, I jack and find something else. That’s how I got this job, by walking out of one and into this.

Juddian:

Can anyone link to a post where someone has been sacked because of in cab cameras?
If it was truly as bad as people on here claim it is then we’d be getting almost daily stories of drivers brought in for disciplinaries or for getting the sack because the in cab cameras had seen them doing something they shouldn’t. Best of luck, I await a response but I doubt there will be one or if there is it will be the only one in the entire history of this forum. Crack on guys, find the links of rafts of drivers posting they’re getting the boot because their boss saw them doing something they shouldn’t when they were driving down the road and nothing happened.

The reason I’m not bothered is because we’re already caught on CCTV pretty much everywhere we go that it is a non-issue for me. Pretty much all businesses you visit you’re on CCTV, some of the houses you walk past you’re on CCTV, every time you use a cash machine you’re on CCTV. You’ll be on CCTV when you drive into work and when you leave, you’re on CCTV as you go about your daily business. By all means get your tin foil hat on but really the only people who have to be worried about it are those who shouldn’t be in a truck in the first place.

Truth of the matter is these devices have limited storage which gets overwritten every so many minutes they’re active, usually 30, so they’re not going to be storing everything you do for the full day so at worst if nothing happened during the shift there’s the last 30 minutes of you picking your nose as you drive down the road. However for those when something has happened such as slamming on to avoid an accident then if anything comes of it such as a ranty person phoning up to complain or claim you damaged their vehicle there’s either going to be evidence to fight your corner or damning evidence you weren’t driving to a decent standard which contributed to the event happening and if it is the latter then you shouldn’t be in a truck.

Conor:
Truth of the matter is these devices have limited storage which gets overwritten every so many minutes they’re active, usually 30, so they’re not going to be storing everything you do for the full day so at worst if nothing happened during the shift there’s the last 30 minutes of you picking your nose as you drive down the road.

Truth of the matter is nothing like that (unless your employer is using £25 Halfords “dashcams” with a puny SD card). Ours record all the time the ignition is On, and for 30 minutes after switching off. The footage is stored on a hard drive unit in the vehicle and can be downloaded when convenient. This can be automated if required, so that the download takes place wirelessly whenever the vehicle is parked up at base, although ours aren’t. The hard drive stores several days’ worth of video, and the footage is overlaid with GPS location and speed data.