Short of diesel

firm i used to work for used to transfer money to your account so u could get derv useing your debit card how do other drivers feel about this i was nt too happy

Had to buy small quantities of fuel meself only a handful of times over several decades and been re-imbursed immediately, but never heard of it being an ongoing thing.

Company paying over the odds for fuel too this way.

Is there a reason the company can’t get a bunkering deal for the cheapest possible fuel?

If the money is in your account BEFORE buying the fuel, then it’s great, you can use whichever fuel station offers the best rewards for you.

I like Shell, others like BP for Nectar points :smiley:

I would have thought that if you accept a credit to your private bank account from a company account, the firm can then offset that payment for tax meaning that sooner or later when HMRC finds out, that payment to your account will be treated as “gross wages” and you’ll owe some back taxes on it. :frowning:

If it sounds like a fiddle, and you can’t see who’s being fiddled, it probably is - and it’s you!.

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest BUT is a bit strange them using your card,
as long as the cash is in who cares .

Had this for about 2 years at one place.
Only problem was when he “forgot” and I was kept waiting for about 4hrs in a petrol station once.

Winseer:
I would have thought that if you accept a credit to your private bank account from a company account, the firm can then offset that payment for tax meaning that sooner or later when HMRC finds out, that payment to your account will be treated as “gross wages” and you’ll owe some back taxes on it. :frowning:

If it sounds like a fiddle, and you can’t see who’s being fiddled, it probably is - and it’s you!.

if there’s a matching fuel receipt, then why would you owe hmrc?

stevieboy308:

Winseer:

if there’s a matching fuel receipt, then why would you owe hmrc?

I don’t see the difference between £600 running money or a bank credit.

The trick is to make sure you have at least £600 of receipts :stuck_out_tongue:

I would question why, can the firm not get credit. If credit and paying bills is a problem what about tax and ni.

My point here folks is that a fuel receipt can only be used ONCE - and if it HAS already been used as a offset for the firm (as I stated in the post!) then if you try and claim back your own expense offset with the same receipt, then surely you are committing tax fraud? :open_mouth:

If a firm let you stick £400 worth of diesel down on your own expenses, then the whole trucking country would be paying no tax as a result!

Let’s face it - THAT isn’t going to be happening here is it? :unamused:

Winseer:
My point here folks is that a fuel receipt can only be used ONCE - and if it HAS already been used as a offset for the firm (as I stated in the post!) then if you try and claim back your own expense offset with the same receipt, then surely you are committing tax fraud? :open_mouth:

If a firm let you stick £400 worth of diesel down on your own expenses, then the whole trucking country would be paying no tax as a result!

Let’s face it - THAT isn’t going to be happening here is it? :unamused:

I don’t see where anybody has suggested that?

i use to drive for a guy years ago working in and out of the uk, he use to do the same thing he would stick £400 in when i left and top it up as i needed it. when i asked why he did it that way and not with fuel cards he said that he had a few drivers fiddle their cards while out and it cost him a small fortune so he paid for all his fuel that way :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Winseer:

now that would be fraud!! so you spend money, the company reimburse you and put the receipt against there tax, you then want to try and claim it against your tax? - eh?

have you ever put a receipt in for parking?

cant see a problem w dont use fuel cards either if we need more than weve got ,we get it before we go simples,
any cash we spend on diesel we get back as soon as we get back to the yard

Getting the drivers to pay for their own fuel…

I hope my Boss doesn’t hear of that one.

W

bazstan009:
I would question why, can the firm not get credit. If credit and paying bills is a problem what about tax and ni.

As long as you make sure you get payslips off them that’s not your problem either really.

There are firms out there that won’t have fuel/credit cards as credit is against their religion. Used to work for a place where they were Jehovahs (I think, some sort of religion they took very seriously anyway) and they put cash in my bank.

AlexWignall:
Getting the drivers to pay for their own fuel…

I hope my Boss doesn’t hear of that one.

W

your not paying for your own fuel your given the money first!! so the boss is paying, i just can’t see the problem, as someone else said great for the shell and necter points that you can’t get with most fuel cards :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The OP is using his own Bank Account to pay for the firms fuel.

Which part of that sentence do you like?

I hope the OP or his gaffer don’t have an account with Ulster Bank because if he does they will both need as many Nectar points as they can get…

I do think it would be up to the Operator to put in place a proper system to buy fuel. I don’t think the OPs example is a proper system.

Running Money, as far as I’m concerned went out with Rock n’ Roll…

W

AlexWignall:
The OP is using his own Bank Account to pay for the firms fuel.

Which part of that sentence do you like?

I hope the OP or his gaffer don’t have an account with Ulster Bank because if he does they will both need as many Nectar points as they can get…

I do think it would be up to the Operator to put in place a proper system to buy fuel. I don’t think the OPs example is a proper system.

Running Money, as far as I’m concerned went out with Rock n’ Roll…

W

Doesn’t mean that was a good thing.

I used to like my boss giving me the cash or transferring the money into my account for the fuel, the shell points got me a LOT of free fuel in my car.

Never had any trouble with it, and used to pay using my VISA card which doesn’t register the transaction until a certain date - only twice per month, so I also earned on the interest

I used to buy stuff for my company with my debit card and then pay myself back by crediting my bank account, until my accountant told me not to do it and get a company credit card as it can be classed as money laundering. I have to pay for everything either with a credit card or cash if I haven’t got an account with the supplier in question.

If I’m trusting an employee with £100K worth of equipment on the road I’m sure I can trust him with a fuel card.