Short French Update

This week beginning Feb 1st you will not be able to pay tolls on the French Autoroute with a fuel card,Master Card or such like only or you will need a TAG.And in July France introduces an Ecotax,a charge to use their National Routes I believe controlled by GPS with a box in the cab.this will make France a very expensive place to go so ensure your customers pay up or just
stay in the UK.Wonder what the Spanish willl do,experts at finding the cheapest route across France…expect they’ll burn a few French trucks at the Spanish Border in protest,they’ve
done it before.2013 could be an interesting year,we’ll know in December.

Do you have a link for this info please.

JD newsletter sent by the RHA contained all relevant info,just Googled French Commercial Vehicle Ecotaxe all you want to know is there.And your fuel card supplier should
be able to give you all the Gen and I am one of those who still uses fuel card to pay tolls so will be buying the TAG thingy hopefully at the first Peage south of Paris who do
keep advertising discounts and that I hope to get Wednesday or my Master Card will have to do till I find another source.

JD try this www.as24.com seem to have all the answers.

I cant see anything on the as24 site about feb 1st but I will have a look into it as im in france now and using the as24 card for the tolls.

JD this is the UK number of AS24, if your calling from France is cheap give them a ring 01923 801060 and since you are a customer they should offer you a TAG for road tolls and ecotax.

No date has been set for when the French will stop accepting fuel cards for tolls. The following taken from Harbour Shipping website gives a little information.

Credit and Fuel Card payment restrictions on the French and Spanish Motorways
As from 1st January 2013, the Spanish Motorway authorities are no longer accepting Credit or Fuel cards as a means of payment for the Spanish motorway Tolls for vehicles above 3.5T, the French motorway authorities will soon be adopting this system as well. The only means of payment in future will be by cash or use of the Bi-Modal Tag. Harbour Shipping Ltd are an authorised supplier of the Bi-Modal Tag. The Bi-Modal Tag offers clear advantages over cash payments and will save on your costs as well as the time spent going through the Toll booths. For furthe information on our Bi-Modal Tag’s and any other ervices we supply plaese contact.

Source; harbourshipping.co.uk/news/

Well GBPub I’ll let you know when I get back Sunday Feb 3rd.

Armagedon:
Well GBPub I’ll let you know when I get back Sunday Feb 3rd.

We have boxes fitted, so it doesn’t affect us and all the information I have seen only gives a specific date for Spain and says France is going to follow at some stage.

If you have a source of information that gives a date for France then please post it for all to see.

Could post up the blurb from AS24 if I knew how.Just had a word with someone else who thinks AS24 may have jumped the gun in order to sell more boxes so I think I will wait
until I am at a toll booth Friday to see whether my fuel card is usable.

just looked on french motorways web site and it doesnt say anything on there about it …yet anyway im sure it will happen

Armagedon:
This week beginning Feb 1st you will not be able to pay tolls on the French Autoroute with a fuel card,Master Card or such like only or you will need a TAG.And in July France introduces an Ecotax,a charge to use their National Routes I believe controlled by GPS with a box in the cab.this will make France a very expensive place to go so ensure your customers pay up or just
stay in the UK.Wonder what the Spanish willl do,experts at finding the cheapest route across France…expect they’ll burn a few French trucks at the Spanish Border in protest,they’ve
done it before.2013 could be an interesting year,we’ll know in December.

:confused:

Are you saying they ‘won’t’ accept debit or credit cards they’ll only accept telepeage ? or just that they won’t accept cash which is often the case anyway when they close the manned toll booths.

Which if you’ve ever experienced the machine taking your card then refusing to issue a ticket and give the card back ( let alone when the card gets closed down on route because the bank think that it’s in the hands of fraudsters ) while trying to explain all that to the french speaking person at the end of the so called ‘help’ intecom can be a crisis in itself. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast the blurb refers only to fuel cards,cash and credit/debit cards still usable.you will have noticed by now French toll booths have become more automated and like you I
have been shouting to someone at the end of an intercom usually lying about where I joined the Autoroute,well you gotta save a copper or two.

Can’t see the problem if/when they stop accepting fuel cards. Makes more sense to have a box fitted, you get a discount and makes vat recovery much easier.

but how much do u get charged for the box…i paid 50 euros for the czech on fully intended to chuck it back on the way out but the office was closed at the border its been 2 yrs since i was there in its still sitting in my trcuk

CRAIG-D:
but how much do u get charged for the box…i paid 50 euros for the czech on fully intended to chuck it back on the way out but the office was closed at the border its been 2 yrs since i was there in its still sitting in my trcuk

We are on about France though and the combined French/Spanish one is issued free.

We are on about France though and the combined French/Spanish one is issued free.
[/quote]
who do u get them through my other go boxes were brought/got at entry borders and set up through my euroshell account

Makes you wonder, ordered my box today. Makes no difference if you are euro 3 or 5 same price €.1275 per km. how is that an enviro tax? Bit miffed as run between class 3 and 4 as never hit weight to need 3rd axel down just use it for ride quality ( livestock ) and apparently you can just change box as your going■■? Think fuel card companies are jumping on band wagon to make their 10%!!!

I will show here what is actually written on the AS24 blurb which I have

Attention all customers.

The French Ecotaxe will start around mid 2013.this tax will affect the main non-motorway routes,
[including the corridor from Calais to Belguim].To pay you must have a new TAG in the trucks
immediately.From 1st february,you won’t be able to pay French tolls with fuel cards…Hurry and
order now,whilst it’s FREE.

Ecotaxe Costs 8-16 cents per kilometre on National Roads[average of 12.5cpk].

My comment is no one else seems to know about the fuel card business and might be AS24 trying to flog a few more TAGs but I will be in France
on Friday so will no doubt find out.
As for the ‘immediately’ regarding the ecotaxe box that will relate to the day it begins and the fine for not having one 700euros.

I think there is a legal challenge going on might delay the July start date!