Shipping out of and into Poole

scan142m:
unfortunately not a lot of old photos in the 1960/70 not many of us had cameras we wernt realy intrested in the places we passed only the destination
and lots of times the destination was only a dot on a map of sorts
the youngsters make me laugh saying did you go through so and so naming all the war torn places now my answer well i must have ,but can’t remember all the dots having names i just renember that it was all an adventure .and i loved it
i started trucking in 71 out of tel aviv i had a friend there with transport contacts and he initated my driving experiance
meeting english guys on the road to the north i met a guy called mike furnell somewhere in turkey hauling back dumped tractor units from somewhere in the desert his dad had a breakdown truck firm here i seem to remember
after 6 months driving all europe and iron curtain places i came back to the uk and had to pass a test
i got given a licence in palestine but it aparently was a fake but them was the days who cared about a bit of paper

i remember a chap from euroking ted catains he was an old time tramper just enough room for himself in the cab with all his gear filling the cab of the saviem
do you remenber ken oak paul candy his wife is still mates with my misses or peter randle phills brother just names from the past sppeak again soon T

Hi Terry yes I Knew all the names that you have mentioned from way back when.I remember Barry and Del from when I drove for Reg Bugler,I worked with Dave Spinneys dad Pete when I started doing continental work on E.F.Phillips back in 78.I knew Mike Furnell from when I started as an O/D pulling for Phill Horridge I had my second unit sprayed in Mike’s fathers yard at Upton.Paul Candy came from Wareham I think he also had dealings with Reg Bugler.Phill Randle always seemed to have a cheroot on the go or maybe a cigar,I didn’t know his brother.The chap on for Euroking,Ted did he have white hair and moustache ?Ken Oak used to pull for Interoute and talk to him on FB.Thanks for adding the pics and remenicing.Cheers Geoff

scan142m:
unfortunately not a lot of old photos in the 1960/70 not many of us had cameras we wernt realy intrested in the places we passed only the destination
the youngsters make me laugh saying did you go through so and so naming all the war torn places now my answer well i must have ,but can’t remember all the dots having names i just renember that it was all an adventure .and i loved it
i started trucking in 71 out of tel aviv i had a friend there with transport contacts and he initated my driving experiance
meeting english guys on the road to the north i met a guy called mike furnell somewhere in turkey hauling back dumped tractor units from somewhere in the desert his dad had a breakdown truck firm here i seem to remember
after 6 months driving all europe and iron curtain places i came back to the uk and had to pass a test
i got given a licence in palestine but it aparently was a fake but them was the days who cared about a bit of paper

i remember a chap from euroking ted catains he was an old time tramper just enough room for himself in the cab with all his gear filling the cab of the saviem
do you remenber ken oak paul candy his wife is still mates with my misses or peter randle phills brother just names from the past sppeak again soon T

Hi Terry yes I Knew all the names that you have mentioned from way back when.I remember Barry and Del from when I drove for Reg Bugler,I worked with Dave Spinneys dad Pete when I started doing continental work on E.F.Phillips back in 78.I knew Mike Furnell from when I started as an O/D pulling for Phill Horridge I had my second unit sprayed in Mike’s fathers yard at Upton.Paul Candy came from Wareham I think he also had dealings with Reg Bugler.Phill Randle always seemed to have a cheroot on the go or maybe a cigar,I didn’t know his brother.The chap on for Euroking,Ted did he have white hair and moustache ?Ken Oak used to pull for Interoute and talk to him on FB.Thanks for adding the pics and remenicing.Cheers Geoff

geoff luther:

scan142m:

no ted lived near pimperne another taymix refugee like me he had dark hair and wasna but chubby another driver was martin from area not sure if he was a subby or worked direct for euroking
euroking was owned by ascot garages and folded after i finished working for them (just some usless info)
i remember phil randles brother peter lived in france and worked for panlapena (another old name)
i dont use face book but if you speak to budgie remember me to him also jill sends her regards i remember him when he worked the dairy at upton tamplins as a milkman driving a thames 15cwt milk float thats got to be 55 years ago wow are we that old

remember this thing we had to have in the cab window

o yeah just rememberd when i worked for c…ell european,the vehicles were registerd in jersey a quarter or less of the road tax at least
i just found these maybe they might be of i intrest someone

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

any one do any traveling the routes we use to travel when trying to earn a living
i do as often as finances allow following the old roads before autoroutes its amazing what i missed in the past
now with plenty of time to spare i have now explored the places just off the beaten track i have been rewarded with lovely places to stop over all free and ending up in those places that were just over the hedge from the main roads
visiting some of the most amazing and friendly vilages and towns that i missed in the 70s
if you have the oppertunity just do it
but the past is quickly dissapearing the old garages/overnite stops no longer selling fuel but inhabeted by various types of itenerates , some converted to living space some well just abandoned the old routiers mostly closed the small roadside cafes dissapeared but the old N roads are still recognisable and still nearly as quick as the peage autoroues
ime soon off to the north for a road trip to denmark to see relations then sweeden and norway i hope,the border shut down dose not present to much of a proebllem
it cant be worse than going through turkey in the early years can it

oh did you know that poole quay and the old dockside cranes were used for some of the filming of the heros of telemark staring kirk douglsa (more usless information) excapt for us locals
please excuse my spelling i am using a ipad and am still learning
cheers T may be the last pic was la jonquera the old road to spain .?

That last picture is great. The barrier sign says Dogana / Duanes, so looks like coming out of Italy and into France. Maybe this was Menton / The Vent in the 70`s?? A bit before my time but a great photo. :wink:

Hi Bullit/Hi Scania 142m

Great thread, comment and photo. I passed from France into Italy on several occasions via the Vent in the mid/late seventies, just before all heavy truck traffic in transit was routed via the new opened autostrada/ autoroute. From what i can recall from 40 odd years ago (Jeeze) this is the that border crossing on the national road. Truth be told, it was mostly transited in the early hours of the morning, therefore in the dark. Strange that. The car reg looks like either 38 or 68, neither areas border a French / Italian region, but whose to say they were passing by too? In later years if you went through this border ‘by accident’ they would still let you through, and not stamp your permit either, despite being implored to do so. A true story. Really. Honest injun, dear reader. JAB.

geoff luther:

many thanks for making me feel even older,ho ho but seriously intresting photos for me the old scoundrel still looks the samei have never been one for photography in the past possibly only took a kodac 24 shot on film a couple of times whem working but ile try to find out some
my filling system is a bit like my logbooks were out of the window taking flying lessons somewhere in europe

bullitt:
That last picture is great. The barrier sign says Dogana / Duanes, so looks like coming out of Italy and into France. Maybe this was Menton / The Vent in the 70`s?? A bit before my time but a great photo. :wink:

yea possibly was i just found these one of queen vic in menton and some others near border posts and one mentioning ventomiglia all posibly taken in late 70 s
hope they bring back nice memories
cheers T

Some great pics there from years passed. Pic No2 looks like the Austro - Italian border, No3 could be the French side of the Blanc but quite a few years ago. Pics 4,5,6, & 7 all look like the South of France, running to Ventemiglia.
The whole Southern France area is still my favourite part of the world. Good stuff! :wink:

IMG_0595.JPG

Some nice old photos Scan142, keep them coming !

Mr Horridges nice F12

This spanish haulier used to be a regular visitor.

Whos this Geoff ■■ Looks like a subby for Interoute ?

Another regular Hargreaves.

poole23.PNG.jpg

I dont recall this ship or even a picture of it ■■ MV Tourlaville.

The original Cotentin.

The new Cotentin.

DEANB:
Some nice old photos Scan142, keep them coming !

Mr Horridges nice F12

This spanish haulier used to be a regular visitor.

Whos this Geoff ■■ Looks like a subby for Interoute ?

Another regular Hargreaves.

I dont recall this ship or even a picture of it ■■ MV Tourlaville.

The original Cotentin.

The new Cotentin.

Hi Dean I think that was Alan Kidman’s F12 for Phill Horridge. The silver F88 was owned at that time by Mike Furnell. Originally owned by Chris Moatte.The Cotentin looked different in that colour. I did go on the Tourleville a couple of times.Thanks for the pics once again keep up the good work Dean.Cheers mate.