Shipping out of and into Poole

kerbut:
I always thought he came from Gloucester area , but think he moved to Poole , so if he met a cleaner on the boat he most properly moved to Poole.

Pretty sure he was from the midlands Nigel ,i last saw him about 12 ish years ago on Ferndown Ind estate he was still
the same but i have not seen him since ?

GS OVERLAND:
When I was weekended or delayed in Oporto I used to pull the pin and head a little bit further North to a village on the beach called Praia de Angeiras where there was a fantastic family run beachfront restaurant and bar, Bar Praia Azul, the son Victor used to manage it. You could park a few units right in front which was handy when we were drinking Vinho Verde in Pint glasses !! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I just found it on Google Earth.
Did anyone else go there ? If not, where did you all go when stranded ?
Maybe that could be a new thread !!
Weekended,Pull the pin and where to…■■ :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
GS

toby1234abc:
Weekended pulled the pin ;
Praia de Guincho on the far end of Cascais, a huge beach, always windy all year round .
The sea always cold in the summer .
A bit cheeky but had a free shower in the camp site .
Great cafes in the village behind the sand dunes .
Cascais shopping mall showed films in English .
No way was I staying in the foul smelling Alverca TIR park by the river which was a sewer .
Rats and huge mosquitoes biting all night, drivers would get ill .
For Porto, Matosinhos or Leca de Palmeria ,the docks ,beach not far .
Have a shower in the Bomberos or the fire sstation .
Anyone remember The parrot bar and Ricardo, he would have a phone with a counter, not cheap to call home .
Madrid ,Fred’s; of Coslada, the man is a legend .

GS and Toby, i could not agree more about finding some where decent when week ended. The amount of drivers that
sit in a poxy motorway services in France or where ever instead of parking up in a town where you can have a wander about over the weekend baffles me ! Talk about boring in a service area especially in summer. I booked into this nice little hotel in Italy one weekend due to the driving ban in August,beech was opposite and a lovely little sea side resort had a fantastic weekend !

DSCI0289.JPG

DSCI0296.JPG

oap driver:
I think that was Gerald Smith who had a 3300 or 3600 Daf …lived very near the docks …and Philip Arcass …can’t quite remember whose trailers he was pulling for but I believe he ended up traction for an Italian Company …I am sure Keith knows more about the whereabouts of all these local men …and Hi Dean …Coopers revisited happy days …

Yes i remember them Dave,Geoff and Lynn also had a ERF at one time. Philip dont ring a bell but it was a long time ago !

poole5.PNG

geoff luther:

yes i do i was driving for cavell at the time also in a new TM Detroit what hard work that was but it did fly
we were both heading for lisbon what a dump the compound was it by the river a small caffe selling coffee made with milk wow what a luxury break that was
he had this sound system wired up to a loudspeaker playing music or shouting at people,to,get,out,the,way i do remember stoping at a roadside place just after the somea serras but before madrid
oh memorys of lisbon . wonderfull red-light street and i remember the first motorway there we used to drive on the verdge to avoide paying the peage but then i think it was only about 7 miles long and ended in a field at this point a compas was,usefull as tracks across the fields went always
good times

Yes you are right OAP , I will ask Keith when I see him in April , I seem to have combined 2 people , it was Philip Arcas and Gerald (Smith ? )

Hi Nigel
Phil Arcas drove for us for little while when he lived in Fareham.

DeanB, there is a huge truckstop near Brescia in Italy, you can rent a car there and tour the Italian lakes on a weekend off or a 45 hour weekly rest, the motel offers a discount for drivers , cant beat a room with air con in the summer, tv, and clean bed sheets, or in the winter, heating in the room.
They also have a fully equipped gym, a bar, cafe and a restaurant, electric fridge plug ins in the parking area .
I could never understand Brit drivers that would sit around in their cab all weekend while parked up at Freds in Coslada, ,Madrid .
The bus and train links to the city were a few minutes walk away .
I once cycled to the city using less busy main roads , but it was dicy with fast cars at night time .
At Freds there used to be fights between drivers of different countries which increased if there was a football match on the TV, if it was a cup final, the police would be called to break up a fight .
Booze was to blame on that one .

I shipped out to Portugal, from Caen, got near Bordeaux, the road sign gantry warnings of the border shut for four days and four nights at Irun, great i thought, my freight forwarder did not warn me of this, but i should have checked it myself.
Dumped the lorry outside Bordeaux airport and jumped on a plane for a long weekend at home .
Rang Bob Garnett from the UK,he said why are phoning from a UK phone line, you should be with the load and the truck .

Hi DEANB, Nice to see some great pictures from Poole. The Scania 6 wheel fridge lorry
of Penimar S.L. reminded me of one night parked up on Bangor Services,North Wales.
About midnight,I was woken by the sound of several cars and small vans arriving all
around me, and lots of loud voices,most of them speaking Welsh. Soon after, a 40ft
fridge lorry parked beside me, and the Welsh cockle pickers began to handball nets
of cockles through the offside small door of the fridge trailer. The “Thermo King”
fridge was going at full tilt, needless to say, I didn’t get much sleep after that, and
I was at my next delivery by 4 a.m., a bakery in Portmadoc. The Spanish fridge
artic was off to a port on the south coast, possibly Poole. Regards, Ray Smyth.

oap driver:
Hi all you old boys …Dave Croft managed to find his way here …remembering all those great times and some not so great …if only I could remember all would be a bonus …I could write a book and make some money at last …haha …added a few photos …someone might remember me …

Hi “oap driver” Thanks for adding your photo,s Dave they bring back lots of good memories from the good old days when running to Spain and Portugal. I expect Keith has spoken to you since us five old ■■■■■ returned from our trip to Oporto,needless to say that we had a great time seeing the sites and feeling like a tourist for a change. We had to visit the Mocambique for old times sake,we were not disappointed the food was excellent but the price has gone upmarket as has Matosinhos. There were lots of stories from each of us of times gone by. I hope we will see you at the SOFA do in October,thanks once again for the pics Dave. Cheers Geoff

DEANB:
Well since Mr Croft has honoured us with his prescence we should have some photos.

Mr Croft

The Coutances going through the harbour.

Havelet was a rare visitor.

Two regular hauliers back in the day.

Penimar with shellfish have been coming through for years.

Avialink,used to do Gibraltar.

R.Davies.

The old Purbeck renamed in dry dock somewhere in the world.

The Coutances.

I
Barfleur looking across to the Coutances.

Hi Dean a great pic of Dave Croft and thanks for all the others,the poor old Purbeck looks a bit sorry for itself I expect she misses Poole and Cherbourg. Keep finding the pics they are great.Cheers Geoff

scan142m:

geoff luther:

scan142m:

geoff luther:

is that barry davis from upton if so he and a few others in the early 80s used to drive for me .?
re the post with the,phillips,tilt on page 14

Hi “scan142m” yes that is the old rascal Barry Davis from Upton.I worked for him way back in the day driving his F89 when he got the new F10.He told me that he had a F12 coming for me but that never materialised so I went back to work for Reg Bugler.I usually see him once a year when he comes to a drivers Christmas meal that I organise.Cheers Geoff

well giv him my regards my name is terry we worked out of ferndown in the 80s when i sus out how to put a few photos on ile add to this
ive done the rounds first was out taymix-cutlers-a few other local firms before having a few trucks of my own (sort of) i done for phill randle at cavel european then on to euroking and mutch more i care not to remember more later,T

Hi Terry I hope you can sis how to add your pics to the site as they are getting harder to find these days. I seem to remember Phill Randle always smoking cheroot or cigars.They were some well known firms that you mentioned especially Euroking who Kelvin Holloway drove for,they were in Wimborne and Taymix from Blandford.Hurry up with the pics please.Regards Geoff

GS OVERLAND:
I posted these sometime ago on another thread but I don’t remember which !
Innaugural crossing Poole to Vianna do Castello on the Thomas Wehr.

It must have been about 1986/87.

GS.

Hi GS.OVERLANND I came back from Viana do Costello to Poole when there was trouble at the borders,I think it was to do with Customs Agents losing their jobs when T forms finished in that year. The accommodation on board were portakabins on deck,and the dining room we had to be served through a serving hatch and do all table laying and clearing ourselves.The only drink was what we took onboard until we got our duty free before we got off in Poole.The reason for no alcohol was that it was a Portuguese shipping line a French Captain and Polish crew.The ship sailed Saturday lunchtime and arrived Poole Monday mid morning the most boring crossing I ever had but with good mates,thanks for reminding me.Cheers Geoff

geoff luther:

Would that Fred Travis ERF NGC be KRH 153P before Phil Horridge had it? Robert

robert1952:

geoff luther:

Hi Robert Fred Travers was driving it for Phill Horridge before he had it done in his colours.Cheers Geoff

geoff luther:

robert1952:

geoff luther:

Hi Robert Fred Travers was driving it for Phill Horridge before he had it done in his colours.Cheers Geoff

Fantastic info! Thanks Geoff. So this unit would still have been in Ted Croswell’s colours (of Hull). This all makes sense. I’ll pop it on the ERF 1975 thread. Cheers! Robert

trying to add pictured think i cracked it
dave spinney drove the scania
dell phillips drove the daf and drag
cant remember the other drivers except barry who done everything

well geoff i hope this,is what you like

do you remember a french stopover called barbara strisands if that is how,its spelt
cheers T

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

unfortunately not a lot of old photos in the 1960/70 not many of us had cameras we wernt realy intrested in the places we passed only the destination
and lots of times the destination was only a dot on a map of sorts
the youngsters make me laugh saying did you go through so and so naming all the war torn places now my answer well i must have ,but can’t remember all the dots having names i just renember that it was all an adventure .and i loved it
i started trucking in 71 out of tel aviv i had a friend there with transport contacts and he initated my driving experiance
meeting english guys on the road to the north i met a guy called mike furnell somewhere in turkey hauling back dumped tractor units from somewhere in the desert his dad had a breakdown truck firm here i seem to remember
after 6 months driving all europe and iron curtain places i came back to the uk and had to pass a test
i got given a licence in palestine but it aparently was a fake but them was the days who cared about a bit of paper

i remember a chap from euroking ted catains he was an old time tramper just enough room for himself in the cab with all his gear filling the cab of the saviem
do you remenber ken oak paul candy his wife is still mates with my misses or peter randle phills brother just names from the past sppeak again soon T