Shelf stacking v. driving LGV

A couple of recent conversations have certainly got me thinking. One was a back door man who at one stage took his class 1 test some years ago but never went driving. Why? Because he was getting £12ph on the back door (I think that was night rate) and he couldn’t find a driving job that came close to that. This was in London.

The other was with my mate in East Anglia. He used to drive but successfully converted his hobby into a business a few years ago. He sometimes has a young college student helping out as it’s an area the youngster is studying. This young fella recently started as a shelf stacker but got a quick promotion as he seemed very capable. He’s getting something like £11+ph as a team leader,I think. In East Anglia. Both as it happens work at Tossco. Your comments welcomed!

I try to avoid “back door men” some of them can be a pain in the arse :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Foxstein:
I try to avoid “back door men” some of them can be a pain in the arse :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:slight_smile:

i personally think its down to what you want in life, as a wise man once said “money ain’t everything” but it does help sometimes,

i have tried the indoor jobs and no money in the world would get me back indoors again, i was like a caged animal climbing the walls everyday,

ok if you need the money and stacking shelves for £9 to £11 per hour is for you then fair enough, i get what i need and i am more than happy to see a different view everday, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

ALDI round here advertise for shelf stackers at £11 an hour day rate. For a 5 on/2 off/ 6 on/2off rota on 9hr shifts. There’s no canteen or anything and I’ve heard it’s a lot harder work than at other stores but there are plenty of van drivers round here on £6.50 an hour and Class 2 on £8.10 for 12 hour days and plenty of stress.

Aldi round by me offer £10 whilst training (12 weeks I think) then either £11 or £12.
Not sure if they actually offer any 40 hour contracts though.
There HAS to be something wrong when a shelf stacker, whose most risky job is running over their toes with a pallet truck, is on quite a lot more than a HGV driver with the responsibilty entailed in even the most mundane driving job.

There was a bloke on the door at leyton tesco called Roy, he got his class 1 and knocked back a job on the agency driving for tesco. He said to me “why do I want to drive it for less than I get to unload it”

OVLOV JAY:
There was a bloke on the door at leyton tesco called Roy, he got his class 1 and knocked back a job on the agency driving for tesco. He said to me “why do I want to drive it for less than I get to unload it”

See my post… snap! :grimacing:

44 Tonne Ton:

OVLOV JAY:

And you believed this person! :laughing: I assumed he showed you his Class 1 license?

del949:
Aldi round by me offer £10 whilst training (12 weeks I think) then either £11 or £12.
There HAS to be something wrong when a shelf stacker, whose most risky job is running over their toes with a pallet truck, is on quite a lot more than a HGV driver with the responsibilty entailed in even the most mundane driving job.

The thing thats wrong is that drivers will work for less than a shelf stacker :smiley: I did Tesco on the agency ,the backdoor staff were on more money than the agency drivers,we drive it there then assist them to unload it, on the Tesco express stores you could have 8 deliveries a day, spent 90% unloading 10% driving for less money than they were earning just for unloading and they always had a brew between wagons leaving and arriving even if there was a queue waiting :blush:

green456:

del949:

the thing thats wrong is that us thick drivers will work for less than a shelf stacker :smiley:

I agree with the sentiment but don’t see a solution when there will always be someone to drive your truck for less than you were

dessy:

44 Tonne Ton:

OVLOV JAY:

And you believed this person! :laughing: I assumed he showed you his Class 1 license?

It’s true I tells thee! You can stand on me for the other example I gave though…

The other half went from being an assistant manager in a supermarket to transferring internally to the depot, he doubled his money to become a driver, BUT had very little life to show for it. Agency money is ■■■ but we’re having to put up with it. Both he and I worked in the stores, he being back door manager in the store where I was (come on, I’m waiting for the comments…) but neither of us would go back to that environment even if it did pay the bills, it’s hell.

padsmrs:
The other half went from being an assistant manager in a supermarket to transferring internally to the depot, he doubled his money to become a driver, BUT had very little life to show for it. Agency money is ■■■ but we’re having to put up with it. Both he and I worked in the stores, he being back door manager in the store where I was (come on, I’m waiting for the comments…) but neither of us would go back to that environment even if it did pay the bills, it’s hell.

We’re above that sort of thing here dontcha know… :wink:

44 Tonne Ton:

padsmrs:

We’re above that sort of thing here dontcha know… :wink:

Yeah right!!! :laughing: :unamused:

padsmrs:

I know from what you’ve posted previous that your hubby was sacked (fair or unfair) so have you also left your job with the company?

green456:

padsmrs:

I know from what you’ve posted previous that your hubby was sacked (fair or unfair) so have you also left your job with the company?

I left through personal choice a few years ago, I worked for the company for 13 years, for more of a work life balance, I still work full time though so don’t sponge off him!! I still know a few that are left but several others in the retail environment are looking to get out, numerous others I worked with have also left. Hubby was looking into the possibility of retraining to do something else in a few years time once we had some cash behind us and the kids are older. Regardless of his way of leaving neither of us would go to work in a store!!!

people want to be truck drivers, i can’t think that many people want to be shelf stackers.

responsibility gives way to supply and demand

Do you get night out money if you hide under a shelf and sleep while the store is closed?

stevieboy308:
people want to be truck drivers, i can’t think that many people want to be shelf stackers.

responsibility gives way to supply and demand

I think many people would like to be Truck (Lorry) driver but most don’t and end up as shelf stacker’s etc, and although they don’t get the life they get the money, which is more than the average driver, ■■■■■■ me off :smiling_imp:
They also get to go to the toilet when they want, do their paperwork,get involved with the workforce, ie union work etc,and best of all, go to their own bed, even if it is during the day.
Get home, get yer gear ready, not fukked if you’ve forgot sumthing… :astonished:
Also would be the fact that how many Trampers, Overnighters and 6 on, 1 off, 5 on,2 off, Have a Healthy Lifestyle ?
They do have to put up with being in the same place all the time and talking to the same people… some ■■■-oles some not.
It could be defined as having a life, but hey ho WHO…TF am I to decide such things…