Shelf stacking v. driving LGV

Our wages are dictated by the law of supply and demand whereas those of an Aldi shelf stacker aren’t- Aldi could quite easily fill those positions even if they only paid the minimum wage. They pay more than the minimum wage for reasons known only to themselves.

Harry Monk:
Our wages are dictated by the law of supply and demand whereas those of an Aldi shelf stacker aren’t- Aldi could quite easily fill those positions even if they only paid the minimum wage. They pay more than the minimum wage for reasons known only to themselves.

What he say…?

You seriously believe that?

Strange this topic should arise :open_mouth:
Only a few days ago I was conversing with a complete ■■■■■■ who was once one of our owner/ops but got kicked out for having a big mouth. The ■■■■■■ in question now drives for our rival company and works 24/7 to get by, he said he was thinking of applying as a shelf stacker … I hope he gets the job coz I hate his guts.

Jazzer:

Harry Monk:

What he say…?

Of course they could. Tesco pay minimum wage and they don’t have any trouble filling positions.

Harry Monk:

Jazzer:

Harry Monk:

What he say…?

Of course they could. Tesco pay minimum wage and they don’t have any trouble filling positions.

When I said ‘You seriously believe that’ I did mean they pay more than the minimum wage for reasons known only to themselves.
Tesco in my area do not pay the minimum wage and nowhere near it, for shelf stackers etc.

Well, I don’t know why Aldi pay £11 an hour. Perhaps others do.

Occasionally I get to read b3ta, which is infamous if you move in those circles… Or just another place where people post their experiences. Some are clearly made up but they have a ‘question of the week’ which for this week is Shops & Supermarkets which is, as always, interesting :wink:

del949:
Aldi round by me offer £10 whilst training (12 weeks I think) then either £11 or £12.
Not sure if they actually offer any 40 hour contracts though.
There HAS to be something wrong when a shelf stacker, whose most risky job is running over their toes with a pallet truck, is on quite a lot more than a HGV driver with the responsibilty entailed in even the most mundane driving job.

Del I think it covers the same territory as the ‘issues’ which caused the Ford dispute in which factory workers wanted out to drive the trucks in competition with truck drivers.So you end up with the situation in which more people want to be drivers than to be factory workers or shelf stackers.Ironically in the Ford case it didn’t help the drivers’ situation that the driving side of the operation seems to have paid as much if not more than working in the factory did :question: . :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

The fact is more people want to drive than to work ‘inside’.‘Inside’,in this case,being not much different to working in a prison workshop. :bulb: :laughing: In which case it’s not surprising that those working ‘inside’ need (and deserve) to be paid (a lot) better than drivers are.Ironically most drivers don’t seem to realise that the situation would decrease the supply of drivers by increasing the incentive for those who can handle a working life on ‘the inside’ just so long as the pay reflects it.While those that can’t will always be prepared to do the job on ‘the outside’ (driving) for whatever wage they can get.:wink:

Carryfast:

del949:
Aldi round by me offer £10 whilst training (12 weeks I think) then either £11 or £12.
There HAS to be something wrong when a shelf stacker, whose most risky job is running over their toes with a pallet truck, is on quite a lot more than a HGV driver with the responsibilty entailed in even the most mundane driving job.

Del I think it covers the same territory as the ‘issues’ which caused the Ford dispute in which factory workers wanted out to drive the trucks in competition with truck drivers.So you end up with the situation in which more people want to be drivers than to be factory workers or shelf stackers.Ironically in the Ford case it didn’t help the drivers’ situation that the driving side of the operation seems to have paid as much if not more than working in the factory did :question: . :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

The fact is more people want to drive than to work ‘inside’.‘Inside’,in this case,being not much different to working in a prison workshop. :bulb: :laughing: In which case it’s not surprising that those working ‘inside’ need (and deserve) to be paid (a lot) better than drivers are.Ironically most drivers don’t seem to realise that the situation would decrease the supply of drivers by increasing the incentive for those who can handle a working life on ‘the inside’ just so long as the pay reflects it.While those that can’t will always be prepared to do the job on ‘the outside’ (driving) for whatever wage they can get.:wink:

You’re having a laugh aint you ? deserve to be paid more than a HGV Driver, fu-kk right off, as well as being a HGV Class 1 Driver, most of us have enough loading/unloading experience to embarrass those ‘inside’ .
Prison Workshop, WTF, watch what you say ma man.

Silly Boy.

Jazzer:

Carryfast:

del949:

You’re having a laugh aint you ? deserve to be paid more than a HGV Driver, fu-kk right off, as well as being a HGV Class 1 Driver, most of us have enough loading/unloading experience to embarrass those ‘inside’ .
Prison Workshop, WTF, watch what you say ma man.

Silly Boy.

Yes in the sense that working inside doing factory work or whatever (if you’re cut out to be a driver) is probably not much different to being stuck in a prison. :bulb:

I would have been happy to earn less driving a truck than working all day in a factory or a warehouse.If you’d prefer to work in a factory and earn less,let alone more,than driving a truck,try it.There might be a few jobs going on a few car assembly lines considering the figures which seem to show that the car manufacturing export side is probably the only sector of the economy that is growing at the moment.Most drivers,if they’re really cut out to be drivers,wouldn’t last a week. :unamused:

wildfire:
i personally think its down to what you want in life, as a wise man once said “money ain’t everything” i have tried the indoor jobs and no money in the world would get me back indoors again, i was like a caged animal climbing the walls everyday,

ok if you need the money and stacking shelves for £9 to £11 per hour is for you then fair enough, i get what i need and i am more than happy to see a different view everday, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

^ This is how I saw it from the time when I got out of the factory as soon as I could and onto the road.

I love this old chesnut about I’d earn more shelf stacking. I had a Saturday job in tesco when I was 16/17 and anyone who has done it will tell you it’s boring repetitive work plus putting up with stroppy customers. I’d imagine wharehouse work is pretty soul destroying too.
Also I think you will find most supermarket workers are only on part time contracts so 10 quid for 20 hours then sweating on getting overtime to make it a living wage.
We don’t live in a police state so why don’t everyone who is so obsessed with been a shyly stacker do it.

I passed my class 1 over thirty years ago and have never driven an HGV as a full-time job. The reason, I have always earned more doing something else. I worked in a job for nearly twenty years that I absoolutely detested, but it paid the bills and bought me a house.

When I retired a few years back I was earning over £500 a week doing office hours.

My daughter (student) works in a shoe shop in Manchester and she’s on £6.90 an hour, more than some Class 1 positions on Jobcentre Plus and believe me it’s got me thinking.
Surely though, when there becomes a total lack of drivers then things must change!

redbob:
Surely though, when there becomes a total lack of drivers then things must change!

I doubt it will hapen in our lifetime. That’s precisely why employers can offer low rates of pay and get all the drivers they need.

I gave up HGV driving for a living in 1978 because the pay was bad, I lived in London and the rates were poor because there were more drivers than jobs. The usual supply and demand rules applied.

waddy640:

redbob:

I doubt it will hapen in our lifetime. That’s precisely why employers can offer low rates of pay and get all the drivers they need.

I gave up HGV driving for a living in 1978 because the pay was bad, I lived in London and the rates were poor because there were more drivers than jobs. The usual supply and demand rules applied.

Thats what I mean in a way. There needs to be more jobs than drivers and with people retiring and nobody coming into the industry then it must surely come full circle…mustn’t it??

kr79:
I love this old chesnut about I’d earn more shelf stacking. I had a Saturday job in tesco when I was 16/17 and anyone who has done it will tell you it’s boring repetitive work plus putting up with stroppy customers. I’d imagine wharehouse work is pretty soul destroying too.
Also I think you will find most supermarket workers are only on part time contracts so 10 quid for 20 hours then sweating on getting overtime to make it a living wage.
We don’t live in a police state so why don’t everyone who is so obsessed with been a shyly stacker do it.

you beat me to it but my sentiments exactly. You could be a shelf stacker but then you wouldn’t be a truck driver. I know what i choose.

redbob:

waddy640:

redbob:

Thats what I mean in a way. There needs to be more jobs than drivers and with people retiring and nobody coming into the industry then it must surely come full circle…mustn’t it??

No, it mustn,t! Don’t you people read the papers or learn from experience? The Turks are falling over themselves to get into the European Union and that’s a big country with high unemployment so I imagine they’ll have a few spare truck drivers to keep rates down just like has happened with 2 million Poles coming into the country. There’s even talks going on right now that might allow their unemployed the right to claim benefits in any EU country even though Turkey is not yet a member and hasn’t paid a coin into the pot! Wake up FFS!

kr79:

We’re not obsessed about the job just dumbfounded to find out their job is paying more than ours! Most supermarket workers who are part time do it because it suits their circumstances. And a great deal of driving work is boring and repetitve with stroppy customers!

44 Tonne Ton:

redbob:

waddy640:

redbob:

No, it mustn,t! Don’t you people read the papers or learn from experience? The Turks are falling over themselves to get into the European Union and that’s a big country with high unemployment so I imagine they’ll have a few spare truck drivers to keep rates down just like has happened with 2 million Poles coming into the country. There’s even talks going on right now that might allow their unemployed the right to claim benefits in any EU country even though Turkey is not yet a member and hasn’t paid a coin into the pot! Wake up FFS!

This is pretty much on the mark they will just keep expanding the eu to keep wages down on most manual and lower skilled jobs.