setting up

hi

Just wondering if anyone would be able to give some advice on setting up a proper haulage business? As in where to find good regular work? I’ve heard a few people say that other firms just sub-contract off some huge companies and just run business like that, however with the rates that are offered by large companies I dont understand how its feasible? On average big companies only offer £1.15 - £1.17 per mile?

Could anyone give some advice please?

Thanks

robk should be along shortly to fill you in , he’ll tell you about the pound a smile and his ma’s bra rate idea he has … steady now … :smiley:

AS1:
hi

Just wondering if anyone would be able to give some advice on setting up a proper haulage business? As in where to find good regular work? I’ve heard a few people say that other firms just sub-contract off some huge companies and just run business like that, however with the rates that are offered by large companies I dont understand how its feasible? On average big companies only offer £1.15 - £1.17 per mile?

Thanks

Here is my advice.

see told you … :smiley:

Rob K:
Here is my advice.

The wonderful art of attaching subtlety to a 14lb hammer!

Stan

Rob K:
Here is my advice.

That link doesn’t seem to be working now, for me at least. :frowning: I would be interested to hear what the advice is though (morbid curiosity! :wink: ) Perhaps you could offer some suitable search words so I can find the advice you’re referring to? Thanks.

Helen Stevens:

Rob K:
Here is my advice.

That link doesn’t seem to be working now, for me at least. :frowning: I would be interested to hear what the advice is though (morbid curiosity! :wink: ) Perhaps you could offer some suitable search words so I can find the advice you’re referring to? Thanks.

The link isn’t supposed to work. It’s a hint for those asking the same question that gets asked here every other week to engage their brains and use the search function that the forum software provides. Even without using the search function, just looking at the thread titles in this forum over the past few months will find you plenty of discussion.

AS1:
hi

Thanks

Yes the sentence in blue proves it, the sentence in red begs this answer.

Think of something else to do with your pocket money!

You aint got a clue and you have more chances of having two holes in your arse than becoming a "proper haulier.

That is subtlety at its best :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob K:
The link isn’t supposed to work. It’s a hint for those asking the same question that gets asked here every other week to engage their brains and use the search function that the forum software provides. Even without using the search function, just looking at the thread titles in this forum over the past few months will find you plenty of discussion.

Ahh. Silly me. :blush:
I expect people ask because it is always nice to chat to people in the know. :slight_smile:

Helen Stevens:

Rob K:

I expect people ask because it is always nice to chat to people in the know. :slight_smile:

Yes, but as I said, when this question has been asked every other week for the past 8 years, I am sure you can appreciate one’s reluctance to repeat oneself for the 8924th time. Read the forum and look for threads with at least a couple of pages and you’ll find plenty of advice. Or you could just save yourself the effort and forget about the whole idea as it’s a mugs game.

Rob K:

Helen Stevens:

Rob K:

Yes, but as I said, when this question has been asked every other week for the past 8 years, I am sure you can appreciate one’s reluctance to repeat oneself for the 8924th time. Read the forum and look for threads with at least a couple of pages and you’ll find plenty of advice. Or you could just save yourself the effort and forget about the whole idea as it’s a mugs game.

And yet…however 'reluctant to repeat ‘oneself’'you may be,it doesn’t stop you,from repeating,repeating,repeating yourself???Nothing good,or interesting to say?say nowt!Somebody wants to set up?let them,might succeed might fail,so what,just because someone posts a daft’ish question on here ,pass it by,its just the internet,there’s no need to try and prove everybody else wrong,deep breath…relax!

It can not be done legaly to make any money,there must be loads of operators using kerosene or parafin,or put sulphuric acid in the red to remove the dye,ideally get loaded trailers sent out to any French port to avoid the heat in the UK ports,keep the unit in France.In the AS24 stations,they sell,or used,heating oil,and most had a pump for the fridge juice,throw away the recipts.
I have known firms that tread close to the line,there are quite a few with no MOT``S,insurance,valid O licences,no maintenance plan,no tyre firm call out suppliers,but send their kids to private schools,and buy £30,000 fields to put their horses in an expensive top of the range stable.A wagon with no sign writting normaly gives the game away,since when did the super market fleets get a tug by VOSA .

toby1234abc:
It can not be done legaly to make any money,there must be loads of operators using kerosene or parafin,or put sulphuric acid in the red to remove the dye,ideally get loaded trailers sent out to any French port to avoid the heat in the UK ports,keep the unit in France.In the AS24 stations,they sell,or used,heating oil,and most had a pump for the fridge juice,throw away the recipts.
I have known firms that tread close to the line,there are quite a few with no MOT``S,insurance,valid O licences,no maintenance plan,no tyre firm call out suppliers,but send their kids to private schools,and but £30,000 fields to put their horses in an expensive top of the range stable.A wagon with no sign writting normaly gives the game away,since when did the super market fleets get a tug by VOSA .

What a rambling load of crap.

You’d be better off putting - “I agree with RobK” and leaving it at that. I can’t believe you bothered to type so much drivel. I mean seriously, what are you talking about?

To the OP, there is no money in haulage. Do not believe the Trucking/Commercial Motor crap about firms “obtaining good contracts” and all that crap. They rarely, rarely exist and certainly not for startups.

toby1234abc:
I have known firms that tread close to the line,there are quite a few with no MOT``S,insurance,valid O licences,no maintenance plan,no tyre firm call out suppliers,but send their kids to private schools,and but £30,000 fields to put their horses in an expensive top of the range stable.A wagon with no sign writting normaly gives the game away,since when did the super market fleets get a tug by VOSA .

WTF are you on mate, so because i dont have any sign writing on my truck, it means that i am running bent :confused: :confused:

You need to stop commenting on a subject you know nothing about!!

toby1234abc:
It can not be done legaly to make any money . . .

So there you are folks. If you are making a living out of being an OD, you’re running bent - toby says so!

Stan

Stanley Knife:

toby1234abc:
It can not be done legaly to make any money . . .

So there you are folks. If you are making a living out of being an OD, you’re running bent - toby says so!

Stan

He’s probably not far from the truth in all honesty. The rest are making enough to break even and that’s it, once wagon depreciation and other factors are taken into account.

toby1234abc:

079b0e5f-7354-418d-b356-1c2b662c6747.jpg

Strange how all the English drivers would tell me on the ferry how they did Cherbourg/Caen/Le Havre or Calais to Sunbilla in one shift,and be quite proud of that,as they fall asleep while on the fuel pumps,and as posted on TN,it is normal for a freight forwarder in the UK or in Europe,to think you can make any UK tip after loading all day Friday,until early Saturday morning in Madrid or Barcelona,and take a 24 or a 45 off,and still be in the UK on Monday at 8 am,as that is what the client has ordered.
Then i have to ring in to explain the tacho rules,and they say,well such and such a driver left the same place at the same time,and is empty in the UK Monday am.
Some on here,have done Gibraltar to the French ports in one shift,the Spanish would think nothing of loading in Andulucia,one hit to Pamplona,change the tacho,then one hit to the ferry,it went on for years,drivers were falling asleep at the wheel and dying.

Hammer and Jimmy2loads,you are entitled to your opinion,of which i will respect,if i dont know what i am talking about,how did i keep my own truck going for 10 years,in Europe,there was a weekend ban on the home registration of the vehicle,depending where you were based,you had to park up,while the other countries would be moving and getting home,i managed to get through that,and ran north and south regardless,due to my paper work,and what i did to it,i was never fined for this.,to give you a clue,it was to do with an export document,and residents permits and IVA tax paperwork relevent to each country,a 10,000 litre of cherry on my farm helped out,if stopped the fine would be 700 pounds,and that was the end of the affair,pay up,then move on,you could not be fined twice for the same offence.
How would i know that you had a truck with no sign writting,and why would i put my name and address on my cab,while running close to the line,it would be up to who stopped me,to get my details,and a bag of broken glass,that i would throw on the cab floor,to show i had all my papers stolen,in a previous made up cab break in,would suffice while transiting europe,and get asked for the paper work,it worked all the time,how would they prove it other wise,no proof.Maybe delayed for a few hours,but they never get a penny off me,as i am a scrooge.

Have a look at the tachos and puddles thread on the professional drivers forum,ref frisby tachos going out the window at the french ports,even Limeyphil admits to not having an o licence,as they can not take away anything you do not have,in a seperate thread,and he kept his truck up together,had a mot/ins and regular servicing,then what about almost everyone running with belly tanks in the trailer head boards.