Service area parking

why do morons who do not have an abnormal load park in the abnormal bays !!!

Funnily enough I’ve often wondered that, my take on it is its because these spaces are always easy to get into and don’t require much negotiation as wide loads normally need to drive straight in and out, so maybe bone idleness.

even though they shouldn’t, i’m sure sometimes it may just be down to a driver running out of hours, no room left in the normal truck parking bays, so a case of wide load bay or going over your hours. what would you do?

Yeah but half the time the long load bays are at the entrance to services and the lorry park is at the end of the services, they don’t bother to go to the lorry park. There’s no routes back to the long load bays so they obviously are just idiots. If I was an abnormal load then I’d block them in if they don’t move after one blast of the horn, no matter what I’m blocking up.

Kerbdog:
Yeah but half the time the long load bays are at the entrance to services and the lorry park is at the end of the services, they don’t bother to go to the lorry park. There’s no routes back to the long load bays so they obviously are just idiots. If I was an abnormal load then I’d block them in if they don’t move after one blast of the horn, no matter what I’m blocking up.

i agree,there will be alot that are just bone idle, but not all.
if i only had the option of sticking it in a wide load bay, or breaking the law, as much as i wouldn’t want to, i would park in the ab load bay, but only as a last resort.

A lot do it if they are only stopping for a 45, its pure bone idleness. Toddington s/b is bad for it, its not because the parking area is full as you can’t get to the abnormal load bay from the lorry parking.

daf3300:
why do morons who do not have an abnormal load park in the abnormal bays !!!

It’s because they can’t reverse properly and in otherwords CAN’T DRIVE :exclamation:
We get the same across the pond here, we also get the ones who drive into a parking space because they can’t back into them. The problem occurs when the time comes to back out of them without hitting the trucks in the row across the way, not that they really care, they just back into one and drive off before the driver of thet truck they hit can get out of his sleeper to catch them.

chilistrucker:

Kerbdog:

i agree,there will be alot that are just bone idle, but not all.
if i only had the option of sticking it in a wide load bay, or breaking the law, as much as i wouldn’t want to, i would park in the ab load bay, but only as a last resort.

i would do what i did yesterday not mentioning any names but a supermarket didnt get there delivery on time as said driver had 2, 45 min break just managed to block him in

Maybe they’re mentally abnormal! Like drivers who drive abnormal loads who think they’re better than normal drivers!

What annoys me is caravans and rigids reversing right to the back of the bay. You think there’s a space and then realise one of them’s in it when you get there.

Sometimes i jump into a wide load bay at night for a 45 if i can cos it saves me parking next to sleeping drivers.
Not all of us are horrible inconsiderate drivers. :smiley:

Sometimes i jump into a wide load bay at night for a 45 if i can cos it saves me parking next to sleeping drivers.
Not all of us are horrible inconsiderate drivers.

so what do you do if a wide load turns up and needs to park ? Surely it’s just as easy to park where you are supposed to ■■

Not . rocket . science .
:neutral_face:

Pat Hasler:
It’s because they can’t reverse properly and in otherwords CAN’T DRIVE :exclamation:
We get the same across the pond here, we also get the ones who drive into a parking space because they can’t back into them. The problem occurs when the time comes to back out of them without hitting the trucks in the row across the way, not that they really care, they just back into one and drive off before the driver of thet truck they hit can get out of his sleeper to catch them.

Spot on, its painful to watch, and you do have to watch them otherwise they’ll hit something and then bugger off and deny all knowledge.

One of my nights out some years ago in Knutsford Southbound, just got into bed and crunch, alleged driver reversing into space behind me hit the OSR of me truck with his NSF corner, just got to sleep and bugger me but another one did exactly the same, luckily i had no cars on so no damage to the transporter.

Best to let them have the easy spaces, less damage that way.

A problem with the marked spaces is often that someone (AA trucks have been repeat offenders I’ve noticed) pulls up opposite making it very tight to swing out with the risk of the back swinging out and clipping the person parked next to you. I prefer really to be able to pull out clear of the space before you start turning too much.

Truckstops are often much tighter than MSAs. At Swindon you always seem to have to take the front corner no more than a foot away from the vehicle opposite to get out.

shade:

Not all of us are horrible inconsiderate drivers.

so what do you do if a wide load turns up and needs to park ? Surely it’s just as easy to park where you are supposed to ■■

Not . rocket . science .
:neutral_face:

not something that has happened as yet, but if that were the case then i would move.
so next time some bloke parks next to you at 3am, dont complain about him having his radio on, starting the engine etc.

Noise in a truck park !! Whatever next ? I dont overnight in them as truck drivers are GENERALLY , ignorant types . The point the op is making is about using a space which is for abnormal loads … I happen to agree with him . Im sure I read a post from Rikki about blocking a "driver " in a bay as he had nowhere else to park his abnomal load . The police told him to !! Lol …

I’ve noticed 18t plant lorries using them, carrying such an abnormal load as big as…a mini digger and a cement mixer.
I suppose the driver dreams of the big stuff??

Are theese the same abnormal/wide load drivers tha are pulling a 40ft flat trailer with nothing on the back except flashing beacons blazing…

lilysgranpa:
Not all of us are horrible inconsiderate drivers. :smiley:

I have done same in past especially when using Woodhall Services s/b, at night lorry park is usually full and abnormal load bay empty so it doesn’t hurt to take 45 minute break in one - wouldn’t use one for a full 9hours. If asked to move I would have done not a problem paid by hour so would have just taken necessary break elsewhere. I too thought I was been considerate to drivers asleep in lorry park but looking at above comments I won’t bother in future!!!

It could be the fact that normally the long vehicle bays are part of the public highway, and not part of the service contract, so there used to be a lot of talk that if you park on the highway part of a service area, you didnt have to pay, and you couldnt get clamped, so i believe thats the reason why.
I also believe that they are there for a reason, Wide or Long loads, as they are clearly marked out as such, and as someone else suggested, where do the drivers of such loads park, when they want a break, if they are taken up by normal loads that can easily park in a normal bay.